Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Radiation Protection Technician Graduate Advice !

Author Topic: Radiation Protection Technician Graduate Advice !  (Read 40254 times)

Offline Nichole

• Light User
Re: Radiation Protection Technician Graduate Advice !
« Reply #50 on: Jan 31, 2015, 06:12 »
I've noticed the conversation has focused on the commercial power plants. I just wanted to point out that you might also consider working for the Naval Shipyards, as long as you don't mind moving. On the east coast, you could look into Portsmouth and Norfolk, or if you want to check out the other side of the country, you can consider Puget in the beautiful state of Washington. Last time I saw a job posting for physical science technicians (a.k.a. RadCon techs) Puget was hiring 50. Before that, I think it was 80. Just a thought, maybe something you didn't even know existed. But you would make a decent wage, get benefits and even spend a majority of your evenings and weekends at home (after the 5 month training, of course).
« Last Edit: Jan 31, 2015, 07:35 by Nichole »

Offline RFaunt

• Moderate User
« Reply #51 on: Feb 01, 2015, 07:58 »
I've noticed the conversation has focused on the commercial power plants. I just wanted to point out that you might also consider working for the Naval Shipyards, as long as you don't mind moving. On the east coast, you could look into Portsmouth and Norfolk, or if you want to check out the other side of the country, you can consider Puget in the beautiful state of Washington. Last time I saw a job posting for physical science technicians (a.k.a. RadCon techs) Puget was hiring 50. Before that, I think it was 80. Just a thought, maybe something you didn't even know existed. But you would make a decent wage, get benefits and even spend a majority of your evenings and weekends at home (after the 5 month training, of course).

Good point, Nichole. I saw those same postings for the physical science techs. Portsmouth and Bremerton were hiring recently, with Bremerton hiring dozens. There are definitely career opportunities available outside of the commercial nuclear and road tech business. Thank you for emphasizing that.  +K
"If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Isaac Newton

Offline cole256

• Light User
« Reply #52 on: Mar 07, 2015, 07:02 »
I certainly want to be as flexible as possible and do the road tech thing for as long as I need to, however an in house job also sounds appealing. I feel as though the house jobs will be very difficult to impossible to get in at the beginning, but that is ok with me.  Bottom line, I am just ready to start working in a field that seems very exciting and pays well.  I current job situation is cube life, and I am itching to become a technician ASAP!  From there, I will see what the future holds.

I love your attitude and professionalism. You must have had GREAT leadership at your school, maybe from your ANS president your first year in the nuke program? He probably was a handsome smart fella! :)

Seriously though follow your heart while using your brain, I just believe if you work hard and treat people right good things will happen. Here's to carrying the torch passed by the previous generation that worked so hard before us!
« Last Edit: Mar 09, 2015, 03:30 by cole256 »

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #53 on: Mar 07, 2015, 07:23 »
He probably was a handsome smart fella!

Don't forget Modest.

Offline cole256

• Light User
« Reply #54 on: Mar 09, 2015, 03:31 »
Just a little inside joke!

Offline RPhill

• Lurker
« Reply #55 on: Mar 17, 2015, 03:09 »
Ive been in the RP work force for only ~4 years since I got out of school.  I'll pick up Sr Tech in a few short months.  The advice you're getting on this forum is ALL true...the positive and negative. My advice:  It's exceptionally hard out here on the road.  The money isn't always good. Sometimes it's great but you're a fool to expect it.  Be willing to go anywhere and do anything and be prepared for having ZERO work for a long long time.  Have a backup plan.  Be prepared to get screwed over by some employers and don't be naive about the "good employers"...this is a business.  It's sink or swim.  Whether you're a good tech or a terrible tech will make absolutely no difference to most employers.  You're just a body to bill for.   Sometimes you have to resolve yourself to becoming a body that gets paid versus a body who starves.   I applied to ~150 jobs and sent resumes to countless companies before I found a job.  I heard back from <1% of those applications and resume submissions but my determination paid off eventually.  And eventually I found some good companies out there who appreciate hard work, desire to learn, a good fundamental base of knowledge.  But this industry is becoming watered down with stupid very quickly and my advice is to do what I do...find an old guy at every job you work and get every last bit of knowledge you can from him and don't forget it!!!   Be careful who you make friends with out here too bc once you're on the road it's dog eat dog.  On the same note, (be very careful) find some young and hungry techs who have their ducks in a row and keep in touch with them all the time.  Help each other find work.  Never turn down a job unless you have one that's better or lasts longer.  Save your money!!!  Have a nest egg to get yourself wherever you need to go and cover hotel, gas, and all your other bills and expenses for a minimum of 2 weeks.  Also, Good Luck!  You'll need all of it you can get! 

Ps.  I wouldn't trade this life for anything.  I absolutely love what I do for work even when I hate it. 

nukewood

« Reply #56 on: Mar 19, 2015, 07:55 »
I have been roadteching for over 35 years and am very thankful for God's provision. Attitude is everything. Most of the young grads are facing a tough road, but if you sow good seed you will reap a bountiful harvest, if you persevere. This industry has enabled me to pay back a $250.000 bankruptcy, reestablish a lumber business that had previously failed. It has enabled me and my family to travel the world and minister God's grace in Honduras, Belize, Israel, and even Russia. Now , as I am semi-retired, the freedom is there to work a little more as I choose, with a large group of good folks that I have known for years. Believe me young people, you are being watched. Work honestly and you will be rewarded.

nuke88

« Reply #57 on: Aug 24, 2015, 09:23 »
I wanted to come back to this topic and let you all know that I have accepted a full time position with Exelon.  I feel that my 4 year Bachelor of Science degree, and my RP degree, as well as my various contributions to the positions I have already worked helped me obtain this position.  There are jobs out there, and I am extremely blessed and excited to start. 

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #58 on: Aug 24, 2015, 11:34 »
I wanted to come back to this topic and let you all know that I have accepted a full time position with Exelon.  I feel that my 4 year Bachelor of Science degree, and my RP degree, as well as my various contributions to the positions I have already worked helped me obtain this position.  There are jobs out there, and I am extremely blessed and excited to start. 

Congrats!   :)
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

nuke88

« Reply #59 on: Aug 24, 2015, 05:42 »
Thank you !!

Offline RFaunt

• Moderate User
« Reply #60 on: Aug 25, 2015, 08:45 »
Congratulations, man! Welcome to the family!
"If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Isaac Newton

Offline Bonds 25

• Very Heavy User
  • HP Tech......Well Thats My Title Anyways.
« Reply #61 on: Aug 25, 2015, 12:02 »
Which Plant? Exelon owns a couple.....
"But I Dont Wanna Be A Pirate" - Jerry Seinfeld

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?