Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu psych test  

Author Topic: psych test  (Read 18875 times)

Offline fussy

• Lurker
psych test
« on: Dec 18, 2014, 08:56 »
I applied interviewed and  was offered a position in operations. I have passed every test EXCEPT the psych test. I have nothing  on my record. I was honest on the test. I am basically a computer nerd. Very concrete literal thinker. I have even passed it before and have been working outages. 
How do I appeal? What do I say? Where do I go from here? My dream is slipping away and I need help please.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
Re: psych test
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2014, 09:11 »
Have the test results been reviewed by a psychologist? You should get a personal interview before anything is final. Many techs have 'failed' the test and passed the follow up interview including (at least) one very prominent poster on this site.

In fact I often tell a very interesting story about a few that 'failed' and had to take a trip to visit the 'shrink' hired by the utility in order to get in.

There is likely more to come in your saga before you are finished.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2014, 09:47 »
The 'psych' test is not a pass/fail test, per se!  It is just a psychological profile.  In general, most RP/HP techs score the same general ballpark as police and firefighters!

As RDT said until it is reviewed by a psychologist, and you are interviewed by the reviewer, it is not of big concern, unless, of course, the employer has set a standard that says a person with this score will not fit in here.

Been in the business many, many years, taken the test many, many times (including twice during a psych class in college) and have always had the same basic profile. However, had to see the 'shrink' three or four times!   8) O:)
Humor is a wonderful way to prevent hardening of the attitudes! unknown
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

atomicarcheologist

« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2014, 11:30 »
Honesty and literacy are inherently problematic for the MMPI!
Just kidding. As the
other two exalted posters have said, a shrink's review is necessary. It doesn't mean you will necessarily get to meet with said professional, just that the test will be reviewed. That said, if this is the only block to being hired, I cannot imagine that a company would not have the meeting scheduled unless they are swamped with highly qualified and experienced applicants. If this is the situation, I can see their HR department culling the group with all tools to reduce to most acceptable via cheapest means available,

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2015, 12:44 »
Concerning the MMPI, in my opinion if you don't see the shrink you didn't answer truthfully. :)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2015, 01:10 »
Concerning the MMPI, in my opinion if you don't see the shrink you didn't answer truthfully. :)

There is so much wrong with that statement.

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2015, 01:11 »

As said above the MMPI (Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory) is not a pass/fail test, i.e., fail or pass go to the 'shrink'!

If you initially fit the profile of what the employer is looking for then it goes forward.

The reasons for seeing the shrink:
a): You don't fit the normal profile for the position,
b): Your number came up, as in random D/A screening,
c): There are major discrepancies in your answers (caught by computer scoring, very seldom by humans!

There are many questions to which only the original authors (or the folks that revised it) know what the expected response is/was!

The first time I had to see the 'shrink' was when I didn't answer a question, I wrote my answer on the answer sheet.  The question, "Do you love your mother"?  My mother had passed away two weeks before!  The 'shrink' knew what I was saying.  The other times I hit the random drawing!

8) O:) [SadPanda]
Humor is a wonderful way to prevent hardening of the attitudes! unknown
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

Graphic

« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2015, 03:25 »
The ones who try too hard to answer what they think is perceived to be the "right" answer are usually the ones who get flagged. Obviously many of the questions are worded fairly similarly. A simple google search can give you an example of how some of these are graded.

I have actually seen the results and answers of a lot of these tests because the shrink accidentally sent back those rather than their decision. I've seen many get denied straight from their test without an interview. 

Some sites are now using the PAI which is much shorter but basically the same type of test.

Promise you one thing, as many of you know already, for the money they spend on these tests and the psychs they are very useful and utilities wouldn't continue to use them if they didn't help weed out the people we don't need in this industry.

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
« Reply #8 on: Jan 29, 2015, 10:38 »

Note the smiley face in my post.

Content1

« Reply #9 on: Jan 30, 2015, 09:08 »
My daughter, who spent a number of years as deconner and junior HP, took and failed a psych test at Taco Bell but passed it for the Nuclear Industry.  It is nice having the fate of your career decided by arbitrary tests.

Offline gdad12

• Light User
« Reply #10 on: Oct 08, 2018, 06:23 »
is the Hogan Assement the new Psych test. i recently interviewed on oct 1 and i had to pass the hogan assessment before i even got an interview.  or is there a psych test after if i get a job offer?

thanks in advance for any and all replies
Dan Rosales

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #11 on: Oct 08, 2018, 08:09 »
is the Hogan Assement the new Psych test. i recently interviewed on oct 1 and i had to pass the hogan assessment before i even got an interview.  or is there a psych test after if i get a job offer?

thanks in advance for any and all replies
Dan Rosales

The MMPI is still a requirement at commercial nuclear power plants.  Many of them give other 'flavor' tests in addition to see what your personality is, and if it is a good fit for the department.  The MMPI checks to see if you are 'crazy or trustworthy'.

The other tests check to see if you are a jerk, a social butterfly, a leader, a follower, etc...

Offline gdad12

• Light User
« Reply #12 on: Oct 09, 2018, 07:13 »
The MMPI is still a requirement at commercial nuclear power plants.  Many of them give other 'flavor' tests in addition to see what your personality is, and if it is a good fit for the department.  The MMPI checks to see if you are 'crazy or trustworthy'.

The other tests check to see if you are a jerk, a social butterfly, a leader, a follower, etc...

Thank you for info Rennhack!

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: Oct 09, 2018, 09:15 »
...The MMPI checks to see if you are 'crazy or trustworthy'.

The best description I have heard about the test is that it is trying to weed out the 'knowlegable psychotic.' Someone smart enough to cause trouble and crazy enough to do it.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
  • Cubs vs. White Sox in the Series this year.
« Reply #14 on: Oct 10, 2018, 08:15 »
The Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory (MMPI) is a psychological test that assesses personality traits and psychopathology. It is primarily intended to test people who are suspected of having mental health or other clinical issues.

In the "old days", you had to use a #2 pencil and fill in the 567 dots while trying to figure out if you would like to have as career as an artist or if your Father was a good man. I had to take it as recently as Palisades "last outage", but thankfully they have it on computer based training now.

Offline peteshonkwiler

• Radiological Ergonomist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Banned fromLinkedIn. Now on Twitter @PSloglo
« Reply #15 on: Oct 10, 2018, 09:15 »
As I remember the MMPI, it was a once in a lifetime assessment. My results were so skewed after taking it about 3 times a year for a couple of decades that I could not take it without seeing a shrink.
A REM is a REM is a REM
Yea, though I walk through the boundaries of containment, I shall fear no dose, for my meters are with me.  My counters, air sample filters, and smears, they comfort me.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #16 on: Oct 10, 2018, 10:14 »
I remember a young man a few decades ago that was called in for an interview. He was told his results showed that he was too happy. When he explained that he had just left the Navy, was making three times as much money, and was going to marry his high school sweetheart soon they sent him back to work. I might also mention that he wore a herculite cape and sun glasses in containment calling himself "Beta Man", you be the judge.

No not me  ;)

[coffee]
« Last Edit: Oct 10, 2018, 10:14 by Marlin »

Offline shehane

• Moderate User
  • You never know, do you?
« Reply #17 on: Oct 10, 2018, 05:20 »
I had to visit the doctor's office after taking the MMPI in 89.  They flew me from Charleston, SC to Jackson, Ms for the visit.  Turns out they only needed to verify my current address.  I left got back on a plane and flew home. I got an offer a week later.  Never figured it out.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be! Dirk Gently

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #18 on: Oct 10, 2018, 07:27 »
Right before I transferred to Callaway in '98 I had to go visit the doc after taking the MMPI.  I sat down, we chatted a little and after a few minutes he asked if I had any idea why I might be there.  I told him I knew exactly why, that I had answered yes to the question "Have you ever had a problem with alcohol?" He smiled and asked me to explain.  I told him that I was a recovering alcoholic and had been sober by then for 11 years, but it had been a problem before I quit.  We talked awhile longer and he smiled and said "I think you'll fit in okay there."
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #19 on: Oct 11, 2018, 05:53 »
I remember a young man a few decades ago that was called in for an interview. He was told his results showed that he was too happy. When he explained that he had just left the Navy, was making three times as much money, and was going to marry his high school sweetheart soon they sent him back to work. I might also mention that he wore a herculite cape and sun glasses in containment calling himself "Beta Man", you be the judge.

No not me  ;)

[coffee]

No, as I was informed you were working BOP as "Mr. X-Ray" which included some sort of overtight "poopy" suit, Coco Chanel hi rises (worn on the outside) and an ACE bandage around your head with eyeholes cutout,...

sorta like this guy (but not quite):

or was that Troy?!?!?

or Kick?

maybe Evan?!?!

no, definitely not Evan,...

well, it was somebody,.... :P ;) :) 8)

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #20 on: Oct 11, 2018, 11:36 »

No, as I was informed you were working BOP as "Mr. X-Ray" which included some sort of overtight "poopy" suit, Coco Chanel hi rises (worn on the outside) and an ACE bandage around your head with eyeholes cutout,...

sorta like this guy (but not quite):

or was that Troy?!?!?

or Kick?

maybe Evan?!?!

no, definitely not Evan,...

well, it was somebody,.... :P ;) :) 8)

I'm good with Mr Incredible   8)

Unfortunately I am somewhat shaped that way ::)

[coffee]

TVA

« Reply #21 on: Oct 11, 2018, 06:13 »
It doesnt have to be the MMPI. It can be any recognized test. I did not have to take an MMPI at Entergy

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #22 on: Oct 11, 2018, 09:21 »
I had to take it as recently as Palisades "last outage", but thankfully they have it on computer based training now.

And you didn't stop over to visit?

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
  • Cubs vs. White Sox in the Series this year.
« Reply #23 on: Oct 16, 2018, 09:00 »
We went to eat, remember? In Coloma.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #24 on: Oct 16, 2018, 08:08 »
We went to eat, remember? In Coloma.

Getting old sucks.

Offline scotoma

• Heavy User
« Reply #25 on: Oct 17, 2018, 08:45 »
What does any of this have to do with a psych test? Or is this a psych(o) test?

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: Oct 17, 2018, 12:57 »
Getting old sucks.

Beats the alternative...

-Marty Feldman

-Ronald Reagan

- Voltaire

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #27 on: Oct 17, 2018, 02:06 »
Or is this a psych(o) test?

Yes

The Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory (MMPI) is a psychological test that assesses personality traits and psychopathology. It is primarily intended to test people who are suspected of having mental health or other clinical issues.

https://psychcentral.com/lib/minnesota-multiphasic-personality-inventory-mmpi/

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?