Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu The Endeavors of a Future Sailor  

Author Topic: The Endeavors of a Future Sailor  (Read 3915 times)

Offline gedds1993

• Very Lite User
The Endeavors of a Future Sailor
« on: Dec 19, 2014, 01:31 »
Hello,

My name is Ben. As inferred from the subject of this post, I am soon to embark on the same journey many of you have embarked on. I am shipping out March 17th to start this embedded path of a Navy Nuke. As you continue to read this, some may wonder why I am even bothering to write this. To sum it up, after countless hours of research, contemplation, and counseling (from current Navy Nukes, Ex Navy Nukes, and current Nuclear Power Plant guys) I have decided to document my path. I thought about starting up a blog site, but as I assumed this is very specific information only pertinent to a select group of people. That being said, I do not believe it is economically feasible, and if permitted to do so (if the admins of this site would prefer I do not continue this at their request I will gladly stop) I would like to post these adventures on a site people already look to for this information, this site.

For those of you who have done your HW on being a Navy Nuke, you will find there are not as many documented personal accounts as one would probably like. This is the very reason I have for doing this, if I can possibly help people out on life decisions or give you all a good story to read and keep up on I feel I would have done a good service. On a side note, those who can offer comments, questions or ideas I am very open to criticism and fresh ideas, please feel free to comment to your hearts content...that is the point of this anyways (I have thick skin so lay it on).

I would like to start of by laying out a plan of action for this endeavor I am about to partake. I plan on keeping a rather detailed log on the pertinent events (and information I find) that happen in my days leading up to basic, my time in basic, my time in nuke school, and my time in the fleet. These logs will be uploaded when time permits and when enough information has been gathered to make a worthwhile post. So without further adieu, here is a little information about myself and why I have decided to do this.

As stated above my name is Benjamin and I am 21 years old. I have worked a number of jobs, but the most relevant ones are 3+ years at an automation company dealing with PLC’s, 1 year at Georgia Pacific dealing with AutoCAD drawing electrical schematics and writing training material, and owning my own computer repair business for more than 3 years. Amongst working I have attended college full time for the past 2 years and just obtained my Associate Degree this December (credits can get you an automatic pay grade but if you're a nuke it doesn’t matter anyways due to the fact that you walk in as an E3). With that degree I also have 2 years of a four year engineering degree under my belt. That being said in no way am I saying I am smart or wise, I will say however that I will jump at the opportunity to learn pretty much anything. My best friend, who is like a brother to me is a Ex Navy Nuke and is an SRO at the local nuke plant. A lot of my influence feeds from him and the friends I have made through him (other people at his plant). My grandfather also served 20+ years in the Navy. Take those both into consideration, plus my desire to serve ever since my first military funeral I decided to research the Nuclear Navy. After countless hours on this site and many others (I will post links when referencing), I made my decision and signed the papers back in August of this year. Since then I have put myself on a strict diet (not that I need it, I weigh in under max weight), a strict workout plan (not for fear of needing it, but for determination to do the best I can in basic), and I have been working 14 hr days to not only get myself ahead on finances but to prepare myself for the hours nukes are notorious for working. Now since I am juggling only 2 out of school, work, and navy my focus has been preparing myself for basic and nuke life in general. I do not have a girlfriend (long story in which I am sure many of you care to skip out on, so I will spare you the drama for tv) so anything dealing with that I will not be the best source of information on.

I decided to go Navy Nuke for 3 general reasons. 1) I have always embraced challenges, 2) I have done my research about benefits while in the navy and in civilian life (job prospects and statistical information), and 3) Life is not just handed to you, if you do not take the leap you cannot fly.

Hopefully this shines a light on me and my thoughts. I plan to write up a logical summation of pertinent information that I have found throughout my searching for my next post. I feel this will be a good start for my blogging due to the fact that localized information is information that can be systematically used. For those of you who are the “Old Guys” or have been around the block a couple of times, please comment on this and give me some feedback (negative and positive) as well as ideas to either improve or add to ( I have been contemplating video diaries, or something along that note).

Thanks for reading,
Future Sailor Gedds

[navy sub]
« Last Edit: Dec 22, 2014, 08:23 by gedds1993 »

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
  • I like being around smart people
Re: The Endeavors of a Future Sailor
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2014, 06:23 »
Nice post Sailor Gedds.

Welcome to Nukeworker. and thank you for your upcoming service.

As you've stated, you have done some research on our boards and there is a lot of info for new nukes but I don't think there is anything quite like what you are planning.

I look forward to seeing how it goes.
Blessed is the man who can laugh at himself--he will never cease to be amused
Think twice and say nothing..Chiun
I'm as big a fool as anyone..And bigger than most.. Odd Thomas

rusty7783

« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2014, 08:48 »
Sounds like you are getting in for all the right reasons. Other than that there isn't much else to say....except...why? No I think you pretty much answered it. Oh well, at least finish your degree why you are in.

Safe sailing.

Samabby

« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2014, 08:13 »
I suggest that you refrain from posting your full name on an sites.  8) Good luck.

Offline gedds1993

• Very Lite User
« Reply #4 on: Dec 22, 2014, 08:26 »
I suggest that you refrain from posting your full name on an sites.  8) Good luck.

I did happen to post this rather late and I must say that when typing this up at 1 AM that didn't cross my mind. I appreciate the word of advice Samabby as to the fact I would have over looked that. Per your comment I modified my earlier post. Thanks again!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?