Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Civilian Nuclear Engineer at Naval Shipyard  

Author Topic: Civilian Nuclear Engineer at Naval Shipyard  (Read 4196 times)

Offline Mercury0447

• Lurker
Civilian Nuclear Engineer at Naval Shipyard
« on: Jan 05, 2015, 01:11 »
I was recently offered a job by the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard to be a civilian Nuclear Engineer in the Nuclear Fluids and Mechanical Engineering Department. I will be graduating with a BS in Mechanical Engineering in the spring (3.70 GPA), and have accepted this offer for employment, though its not too late to back out yet.

What are your thoughts on working as a civilian nuclear engineer in a naval shipyard? Will it lead to good career opportunities in the nuclear field down the line? What does the daily work look like? I have always been interested in both the Aerospace and Nuclear industries, and I'm wondering if taking this job is the right choice for me.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: Jan 05, 2015, 01:32 by Mercury0447 »

Offline NukeLDO

• Heavy User
Re: Civilian Nuclear Engineer at Naval Shipyard
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2015, 07:33 »
Good info from HydroDave if hired as an STE, but it sounds like your job offer is to be an engineer in the fluids and mechanical code (C2320 at the public yards)....
You'll have to complete a basic system familiarization, and then you'll be assigned a particular mechanical or fluid system to become the expert on.  If there are problems with that system (a leaky valve, improper system response, etc), you'll be answering the mail that documents the condition to perform the corrective actions IAW all applicable tech manual and reactor plant manual requirements as well as radiological controls manual, environmental regulations, etc.  As you progress in seniority, you'll take on more systems.  You might also be on call to support testing and evolutions, or assigned to shift during them.
Likely hiring on at the GS-12/13 level and progressing towards GS-15 based on length of service.  Upper management positions would be 10-15 years out dependent upon attrition and your acumen for the business.
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?