Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu 10 years of address changes and work start/stop dates

Author Topic: 10 years of address changes and work start/stop dates  (Read 12520 times)

Offline mblack

• Lurker
I currently have a contract as a JR tech at a small facility in my hometown, and I know our outage will be coming up right around the time my contract ends.  Talking with some techs i work with they informed me that to get clearance that the site is fairly picky about exact dates on everything.  So here is my problem I can remember fairly accurately up to 4 years or so close dates on work and where I have lived, but the last 5-10 years they need i am not exactly sure how to aquire quickly, and I don't want to run into the issue of trying to locate those dates right when I need them.

So my question is can i pull that information/pay for, from anywhere so when it is time to fill out my paperwork it can go fairly quickly and smoothly?

I really hate myself for not keeping better records, but also I don't think there was a way to know that I should have been keeping tabs on all that.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
Re: 10 years of address changes and work start/stop dates
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2015, 12:02 »
............................. ....................

.....for future reference, if something crosses your mind about nuke this or that,...

............................. ............................. ......

...Good Luck,...

edited to remove snarky response, I apologize,...
« Last Edit: Jan 09, 2015, 04:29 by GLW »

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Jr8black3

« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2015, 01:04 »
GLW first off how ya been? LOL Ports is a pain in the rear end on start and stop dates,, and lodging..Still here did my tour on cut-n-cap,, back to the shipping world agian..

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2015, 01:23 »
GLW first off how ya been? LOL Ports is a pain in the rear end on start and stop dates,, and lodging..Still here did my tour on cut-n-cap,, back to the shipping world agian..

been good, been busy, been billable,...

PM if you have a mind to,...

here's hoping the holiday season was a contented season for you and yours,... :)

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Chimera

« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2015, 03:14 »
Something I learned back in the 1970's working as a contract Tech at Commonwealth Edison: 

Keep track of the proper name of the site where you worked, its address and your supervisor(s)

start and stop dates at every job;

the dates during which you wore a TLD;

maintain copies of your exposure records as you receive them;

where you stayed while on that contract;

whom you worked for - contract company, their address, phone number(s), site coordinator(s).

If you've worked at commercial nuclear power plants, PADS should have a record of when and where you worked.  I keep two files in my computer: A work history record capturing most of the above information and an exposure record.  A detailed resume is also helpful for tracking this information.  I also track any periods of unemployment greater than thirty days and who might be able to vouch for my actions during those periods (neighbors, landlord, friends, etc.).  It may be a bit of a pain in butt at first but it's well worth the effort when you have to fill out a ten-year background file for a government background check.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2015, 03:32 »
Something I learned back in the 1970's working as a contract Tech at Commonwealth Edison:  

Keep track of the proper name of the site where you worked, its address and your supervisor(s)

start and stop dates at every job;

the dates during which you wore a TLD;

maintain copies of your exposure records as you receive them;

where you stayed while on that contract;

whom you worked for - contract company, their address, phone number(s), site coordinator(s).

If you've worked at commercial nuclear power plants, PADS should have a record of when and where you worked.  I keep two files in my computer: A work history record capturing most of the above information and an exposure record.  A detailed resume is also helpful for tracking this information.  I also track any periods of unemployment greater than thirty days and who might be able to vouch for my actions during those periods (neighbors, landlord, friends, etc.).  It may be a bit of a pain in butt at first but it's well worth the effort when you have to fill out a ten-year background file for a government background check.

good stuff,...

I could have posted one of your earlier contributions on this topic:

Back in the 60's we complained about the information the government wanted to do our DOD security background checks for the military.  In the 70's, we complained about the information needed to do our AEC security background checks.  I've been in trouble many times for being obstinate with security at various nuclear plants. This is all my way of saying I agree with most of the comments in this particular thread.

However, where I'm working now - ostensibly in the nuclear industry subject to the provisos of the NRC and the CFRs - some of the employees sit in the parking lot during their breaks or during lunch doing crack, grass, or coke.  Some of them have arrest records that you would never imagine for someone being involved in the "nuclear industry".  Pass a GET or RadWorker test?  Some of them can't even read while others are only functionally illiterate.

There is a certain comfort level that comes with knowing your fellow employees and/or contractors are essentially trustworthy (just don't leave your wallet laying around).

I still resent all the information my employer and, through them, the government seems to think they need.  After all, how many times do I have to provide it?  You'd think that after giving the same information for almost 40 years they'd know everything they needed to know about me.

I don't know where the line needs to be drawn, but I sure don't want to go to work for Wal-Mart.

only this blurb from the above post did not seem like a good emulation model in the current era:

....I've been in trouble many times for being obstinate with security at various nuclear plants.....

I'm just saying, it's not nearly as "all in this together" as it used to be,...

you know, like it was back in the dark ages for old guys like you,... :P ;) :) 8)

"http://cdn.hark.com/swfs/player_16x16.swf?pid=ylpqjzjvcb&as=1"
« Last Edit: Jan 09, 2015, 03:43 by GLW »

Offline n.e. nuke

• Very Lite User
« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2015, 03:54 »
Some people really take these threads off topic in a hurry and/or provide snarky advice...

What you could do is ask friends and family if they remember anything about when you moved around, I found that helped jog my memory.  Also you could pull your free annual credit report which should have all of your reported residences on it.

I've been through the same process with a similar case as you and can say the process is not big on exact dates, they just want to make sure what you put down matches up with what they find.

Good luck!

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2015, 05:10 »
yins could ask hr or security at your current site for a copy of the history they have on you, it may suffice.
the won thing ya don't want two dew is put down info which contradicts what the f.b.i. report on you will say. if yew haven't been in trouble,your f.b.i. report will be fairly blank.
bee as specific as u can, butt don't stretch or make up things.
good luck.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Graphic

« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2015, 05:30 »
I currently have a contract as a JR tech at a small facility in my hometown, and I know our outage will be coming up right around the time my contract ends.  Talking with some techs i work with they informed me that to get clearance that the site is fairly picky about exact dates on everything.  So here is my problem I can remember fairly accurately up to 4 years or so close dates on work and where I have lived, but the last 5-10 years they need i am not exactly sure how to aquire quickly, and I don't want to run into the issue of trying to locate those dates right when I need them.

So my question is can i pull that information/pay for, from anywhere so when it is time to fill out my paperwork it can go fairly quickly and smoothly?

I really hate myself for not keeping better records, but also I don't think there was a way to know that I should have been keeping tabs on all that.

If you are working nuclear and it is your first time, you only need to go back 3 years in your work history. (any drug/alcohol charges in the past 5 years requires a 5 year work history) Dates do need to be fairly accurate but not exact. They just don't want to have a GAP in your dates. It has to flow and cover the complete 3 years. So if you started today you'd go back to 1/10/12 in your work history. Any gaps where you weren't working they just verify you were unemployed with a wife, friend etc. They don't call unemployment office. When the jobs are called and verified by the background screeners they will typically get more accurate dates and can fill any gap with you once all the jobs are completed. If there are any companies that you worked for who aren't open any longer you can provide check stubs, w2's etc will help expedite the process.

The work history is important though. I suggest just keeping a little book or something in your smart phone with a start/end date on all your jobs if you are a traveler your life will be so much simpler when these times come up. If you work with a union the halls typically keep a dispatch log of where you worked as well which can help some people.

The address thing isn't a huge issue either. Yes, try to list every address to your ability but don't stress over it. When your credit report is run previous addresses are listed on there and that is one reason it is asked for. So if there are any you forgot the screener will simply ask you "did you live at so and so"

Anymore questions feel free to message me.

Chimera

« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2015, 11:29 »
good stuff,...

I could have posted one of your earlier contributions on this topic:

I'm just saying, it's not nearly as "all in this together" as it used to be,...

you know, like it was back in the dark ages for old guys like you,... :P ;) :) 8)

"http://cdn.hark.com/swfs/player_16x16.swf?pid=ylpqjzjvcb&as=1"

Wow - you had to dig to find that old post.  While I must admit that my fundamental attitude hasn't changed that much over the decades - just how many time do I need to give them the same information - I've also learned not to shoot myself in the foot any more often than necessary.  However, as I said in my latest post, checking into any PADS entries is a good starting point.  I also agree that talking to people you've worked with or gone to school with in the past is a good way to recreate your historic data.  Talking to HR, if that's an option, is also an excellent idea.  Still, starting to keep track of all that information on your own will help in the future as well as the present.

On a side note: I sort of felt sorry for the FBI Agent who had to do my background check for my current job.  He had to sort through an awful lot of information - ten years of road-teching and railroad work - to complete my clearance investigation.  When I printed out everything, it took 100 pages for just ten years.  And, by the way, I ain't that old and those ages weren't that dark!

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2015, 01:04 »
Wow - you had to dig to find that old post....

took all of three minutes,...

Offline mblack

• Lurker
« Reply #11 on: Jan 20, 2015, 10:20 »
If you are working nuclear and it is your first time, you only need to go back 3 years in your work history. (any drug/alcohol charges in the past 5 years requires a 5 year work history) Dates do need to be fairly accurate but not exact. They just don't want to have a GAP in your dates. It has to flow and cover the complete 3 years. So if you started today you'd go back to 1/10/12 in your work history. Any gaps where you weren't working they just verify you were unemployed with a wife, friend etc. They don't call unemployment office. When the jobs are called and verified by the background screeners they will typically get more accurate dates and can fill any gap with you once all the jobs are completed. If there are any companies that you worked for who aren't open any longer you can provide check stubs, w2's etc will help expedite the process.

The work history is important though. I suggest just keeping a little book or something in your smart phone with a start/end date on all your jobs if you are a traveler your life will be so much simpler when these times come up. If you work with a union the halls typically keep a dispatch log of where you worked as well which can help some people.

The address thing isn't a huge issue either. Yes, try to list every address to your ability but don't stress over it. When your credit report is run previous addresses are listed on there and that is one reason it is asked for. So if there are any you forgot the screener will simply ask you "did you live at so and so"

Anymore questions feel free to message me.

If it is only 3 years then it won't be an issue.  I've have actually lived in the same house that long, and employers should be fairly easy.  I was worried that if I didn't have exact dates it would casue frustrations, but it is good to know that as long as i can be fairly good with the estimites then I should be good to go as long as it is fairly accurate.  As far as Criminal history is concerned I am good to go on that, it was just worrying about remembering stupid dates.

From my current job on I am definitely keeping a nice log of dates and addressees for future reference.

Graphic

« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2015, 09:47 »
Just to clarify only the work history is 3 years. Addresses is 7 but again don't stress over them. Just try to remember as many as you can and if you forget any they'll probably show up on your credit report anyways and they will simply ask if you lived there.

With the jobs just make sure they flow and you don't leave any that have been within the past 3 years off. When the co's verify then they'll put it on a timeline to make sure all days within that 3 years are covered.

Just wanted to stress the point. Sounds like you'll be fine. Good luck!

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #13 on: Jan 21, 2015, 11:18 »
Just to clarify only the work history is 3 years. Addresses is 7 but again don't stress over them. Just try to remember as many as you can and if you forget any they'll probably show up on your credit report anyways and they will simply ask if you lived there.

With the jobs just make sure they flow and you don't leave any that have been within the past 3 years off. When the co's verify then they'll put it on a timeline to make sure all days within that 3 years are covered.

Just wanted to stress the point. Sounds like you'll be fine. Good luck!

Thank you for all of the great information.

Graphic

« Reply #14 on: Jan 23, 2015, 01:39 »
Thank you for all of the great information.

No worries. This site is full of great information from many!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?