Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Attn: Former & Current Navy Nukes

Author Topic: Attn: Former & Current Navy Nukes  (Read 4652 times)

Offline Cyph3rZ

• Lurker
Attn: Former & Current Navy Nukes
« on: Jan 13, 2015, 03:18 »
I am considering enlisting as an EM/ET and I would love your honest assessments of my capability to pass A-school. Also any suggestions on how to study in the most efficient manner for an auditory/visual learner with decent memory.   

My background is:

Business Administration(Finance Concentration) from San Jose State University with 3.0GPA
Associates in Accounting
GED
1-2 years of various accounting based jobs
92 score on AZVAB
Line scores for Nuke were 241 not the minimum of 252
Little to no exposure to physics in high school

Thanks,
James L. McDonald

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
Re: Attn: Former & Current Navy Nukes
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2015, 05:54 »
https://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,17568.0.html

PS: Your chances are 0 if you don't meet the minimum requirements for entry.

Offline Cyph3rZ

• Lurker
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2015, 06:47 »
Thank you so much for your candid response. I'll look into the posts you linked.

Offline Tylor

• Moderate User
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2015, 08:09 »
You can definitely pass A-School. For me A-school has been the hardest leg of the pipeline for me, (I'm an electrician in prototype now.) but even throughout A-school all I really needed to do was apply myself and show up. The people who failed out didn't typically put everything into it, they got onto a high hours program and gave up. As for no exposure to physics, that would help you out a lot with a-school, but a-school is more about learning how to learn, and pre-existing knowledge only goes so far. They'll give you a lot of information in a short amount of time, so if you can keep up, you're good. I knew a guy from my A-school class who was pretty similar, had an accounting degree, did well in college, worked as an accountant for a while. He was also an auditory/visual learner, and could explain everything to an instructor extremely well and intelligently. Unfortunately, when it came to tests he wasn't as good, he struggled through a-school and power school. When he made it to prototype, where everything is hands on and you can talk through your knowledge with an instructor, he excelled and is now top of his class.
The moral of the story is that if you keep up, and work hard, the instructors at NNPTC will help you get through. People who demonstrate a good work ethic tend to do well in prototype, and especially in the fleet. If you need any more advice feel free to PM me or post here.
"There are no extraordinary men... just extraordinary circumstances that ordinary men are forced to deal with." -Admiral William Halsey

Samabby

« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2015, 08:12 »
" I am considering enlisting as an EM/ET "

James, you enlist as a sailor & the Navy decides which rating you to be assigned, although you get to ask to be assigned to a particular rating.

Good luck, son.
« Last Edit: Jan 27, 2015, 08:15 by Samabby »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?