Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu NAVY NUKE WELDING honeypot

Author Topic: NAVY NUKE WELDING  (Read 6346 times)

Offline Yellow_Cloud

• Lurker
NAVY NUKE WELDING
« on: Jan 18, 2015, 05:30 »
Hello, Im a noob to these forums,
So I went to MEPS last week and scored just shy of auto qualifying for the Nuke program and i take the NAPT this coming Tuesday, all of that is irrelevant to my question sorry...

Anyway I have an associates degree in welding and was told that their are welders in the Nuke Field. Anyone have any information on it, ie is it GTAW stainless, mostly pipes ect and how unlikely is it for me to land a welding job in the Nuke program? does my experience and degree increase my chances at all or is it all random, Its been a life dream that has been too far out of reach untill last week to weld nuclear which is the only reason why I chose to go with the Nuke program over a Hull maintenance tech or Steel worker. Any info is appreciated.

HeavyD

Re: NAVY NUKE WELDING
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2015, 09:21 »
This question is answered in another post, but here's the quick and dirty.

The Navy does not have what you would consider Nuclear welders.  Each submarine has either 1 or 2 (one of the submariners will have to answer exact #) emergency welders.  Emergency means "weld this XXXXXXX so the boat doesn't sink or suffer catastrophic failure so we can make it back to the nearest port".  Upon arriving back at port, whatever you welded is removed and repaired by a shore facility.

during prototype, there will an opportunity for you to volunteer for this.  If selected, you attend welding school between prototype and your boat.  you weld once a year to maintain your quals.  And that's it.

Best of luck in whatever path you follow, and thank you for volunteering to serve!

Offline Yellow_Cloud

• Lurker
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2015, 11:01 »
Thank you, and sorry for wasting your time I should of searched the forums harder before asking  :-X Now do I even bother taking the test...

HeavyD

« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2015, 11:21 »
Coming here and asking is not wasting time  ;)

As for taking the test, well that depends on what you want to do next in your life.

Enlisting is a 6 year commitment.  The reason(s) you enlist need to be your own.  Neither your parents, your friends, your extended family, nor a bunch of strangers on a website (albeit experienced strangers) can answer that question definitively for you.

If your only attraction was due to the possibility of being a Nuke welder, I would say take another path in your life.

If you really want to weld nuclear, check into (and part of me can't believe I'm saying this) CB&I and what they need at both Vogtle and V.C. Summer.

Best of luck!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?