Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu STA-21 and powerschool, hello all!  

Author Topic: STA-21 and powerschool, hello all!  (Read 3747 times)

Offline WoodlyMechanic

• Lurker
STA-21 and powerschool, hello all!
« on: Jan 18, 2015, 07:41 »
Hello all! I want to start off by saying thank you all for the invaluable information that you've provided me for the past two years. I've been lurking a while, since I first considered joining the Navy. I am currently in power school, 1/3 the way through.

I was hoping to have some officers chime in or previous STA-21 applicants. I haven't been able to find any officers on the power school side who went STA-21, they are up there but the majority of officers I run into are all NUPOC instructors.
I want desperately to become an officer, I love the Navy and I'm extremely enthusiastic about my future here.

The Good: the pipeline has treated me well. I was A school honor man and currently #3 in my section and rising (3.69 GPA). my exam scores are usually over 3.6. On my good subjects I do better, 3.98 in HTFF. I realize that it will get more difficult as I get into the second half of power school, I will change my study habits accordingly.

The Bad: my college history isn't too great. on my Transcript I've got about 47 credit hours, but I dropped about 5 classes and failed one, but my GPA was a ~3.49. I was just lazy and not mentally prepared for the challenges of having to TRY in an academic setting. I placed my full time job ahead of school...  :-X (in dropped all of my classes my last semester because I was driving an hour to school every day and my first week my car caught on fire driving home!!!! couldn't afford to buy another car AND go to school....)

So far I have 2 retired chiefs that I worked with for about 3-4 years each writing LORs for me. my A school SLPO is writing one too. My grandfather's XO (retired commander) is writing me one, but I’ve never met him and a local retired admiral said he'd write one as well. I'm hesitant about including these last two because they don't know me very well and I feel like I'm just adding "fluff" to my package. thoughts?

I am a little stuck on my personal statement. I have written a few drafts but none that are as moving and poetic as I’d like them to be. would it be acceptable for me to post one of my later drafts for some brutal criticism?

I know what my strengths and weaknesses are. I'm really just nervous about getting picked up on the first try (I'm 24) and id prefer not to have to get a waiver for my age next year.

thank you guys so much again! this Forum is awesome.

picture of said car fire for the laugh
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/1184967_10151597590976616_290360514_n.jpg?oh=b4b642cbded8c1c14db2a95aa4285e3e&oe=5525A91F&__gda__=1432504516_a872d98a818720eed6315f86b5e4110b
« Last Edit: Jan 18, 2015, 07:48 by WoodlyMechanic »

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
Re: STA-21 and powerschool, hello all!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2015, 05:35 »

I was hoping to have some officers chime in or previous STA-21 applicants. I haven't been able to find any officers on the power school side who went STA-21, they are up there but the majority of officers I run into are all NUPOC instructors.

Walk into the ARPO office on the officer side.  I would be shocked if there are not multiple STA21 grads working in there.

Cheers,

GC
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline WoodlyMechanic

• Lurker
Re: STA-21 and powerschool, hello all!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2015, 01:08 »
ARPO? I'll look into it for sure. Thank you.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?