Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu New Naval Reactors Engineer.  

Author Topic: New Naval Reactors Engineer.  (Read 6080 times)

Offline gaven555

• Lurker
New Naval Reactors Engineer.
« on: May 05, 2014, 05:40 »
Hello,

I was recently accepted into the Naval Reactors Engineering program and I have a couple questions. I go to ODS in July and I will be sent to Naval Reactors(NR) in DC this September. This worries me because I am a chemical engineer and I have a very limited knowledge of Nuclear Reactors. During these first few months at Naval Reactors before I go to power school, what will be expected of me? I am reviewing the DOE Nuclear Physics and Reactor Theory Handbook at the moment so that I will have some background before I arrive. What else should I do to prepare myself so that I make a good impression during my first few months at NR? If you have experience with the Naval Reactors program, can you tell me what were the most difficult things that people in my position encountered?

Offline NuclearCowboy17

• Very Lite User
Re: New Naval Reactors Engineer.
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 06:59 »
Congrats on the position but if you really want to know what to study i can sum it up in one word...nothing. I am not trying to sound crass or anything of the like, but NR is NR is they will mark tissue paper as classified if it has numbers on it. If I am reading this correctly you are working for NR, not going to OCS, so you will likely spend some time in Pittsburgh going to BRES will you will learn all you need to know and them some. Good Luck!!

HeavyD

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 08:37 »
To followup to what NuclearCowboy17 said, if you want to make a good impression, that's fairly simple.

Show up on time, work hard, never be afraid to ask if you don't understand something.  They picked you because you showed the potential during the screening process to fit into what they need. 

Congratulations and best of luck!

Offline cheme09

• Moderate User
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 09:15 »
Exactly what the other two guys said. And this also applies to those who have been accepted to the other designators for NUPOC.  Heck, it even applies to those who have accepted positions at utilities as an NLO.

You've been through an involved interview process which was meant to show your technical foundation as well as your ability to learn, and came out the other side with an offer. That's all you need.

Asking, "What should I study before I get there?" or even going through mass amounts of information and books before arriving is akin to locking yourself away in a library the summer before your freshman year of college and trying to learn as much as possible in prepration before the first day.

You will go through a rigorous training program where you will be taught what you need to know. Try to relax while you have the time. Keep your mind sharp, but don't be burnt out before you get there.

Offline hituw2x4

• Lurker
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2014, 05:29 »
I am interested in the reactors engineer position and was wondering what kind of preliminary steps you had taken to get into such a notable program.  From what I understand it is a very difficult job to get selected for and have never seen any first hand responses from anyone in reactors engineers specifically only SWO and sub officers.

Offline klj3827

• Light User
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2015, 07:13 »
Great grades in a technical field of study at a competitive school.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?