Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu NUPOC Age Question honeypot

Author Topic: NUPOC Age Question  (Read 7618 times)

Offline galoot

• Very Lite User
NUPOC Age Question
« on: Feb 01, 2015, 11:17 »
Hello NukeWorker,

I am a 27 year old student double majoring in Electrical Engineering and Applied Mathematics.  Thus far, I have a strong GPA and academic achievements to trumpet.  I want to serve my country, and recently, I came across the NUPOC program.  I have lurked and read some old threads, but have not come across a thread that addresses my primary concern in regard to my eligibility for the program.  As previously mentioned, I am 27, and I noticed that the Navy wishes their participants to be commissioned by their 29th year.  However, I have also seen that there exists an age waiver.  How often is this waiver awarded?  Do older applicants such as myself face a tougher path to being accepted into the program?

If any members here could comment on what they know, I would be very appreciative.

galoot
« Last Edit: Feb 01, 2015, 11:18 by galoot »

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
Re: NUPOC Age Question
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2015, 01:58 »
The age waiver is typically only given to prior enlisted applicants as a 1-for-1 match up to 2 years of service.

Offline galoot

• Very Lite User
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2015, 10:56 »
Thanks for the response.  I don't quite understand.  If one is enlisted, they generally are not a college student, are they?  The luxury of NUPOC seems to be that one does not have to be enlisted during their schooling.
« Last Edit: Feb 02, 2015, 11:12 by galoot »

Offline maroon

• Light User
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2015, 09:16 »
Actually, age waivers up to 31 have commonly been given for highly qualified NUPOC applicants regardless of prior enlisted service status.  This is different from most other OCS programs, which require prior service for an age waiver.

You should sit down with a recruiter and show them your planned courses until graduation.  As long as you aren't unnecessarily extending your time in school with extra courses not required for your degree, your age should be waiverable.

The recruiter will likely ask you why it's taking you so long to graduate college.  You might have a perfectly acceptable reason (financial difficulties, family obligations, etc.), but just be prepared to answer that question.

Offline galoot

• Very Lite User
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2015, 09:27 »
That's great news.  For me, I chose to focus on my mathematics courses initially.  I will be done with my math degree next year.  However, my EE degree is going to take some extra time. 

Many thanks for your response.

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2015, 12:24 »
Thanks for the response.  I don't quite understand.  If one is enlisted, they generally are not a college student, are they? 

No, they are not. The age waiver allows people who served a full enlistment or two the opportunity to attend college and still meet the age requirement for commissioning.

Offline galoot

• Very Lite User
« Reply #6 on: Feb 03, 2015, 11:05 »
Ah, I see.  Thank you, spekkio.

Offline maroon

• Light User
« Reply #7 on: Feb 03, 2015, 05:45 »
That's great news.  For me, I chose to focus on my mathematics courses initially.  I will be done with my math degree next year.  However, my EE degree is going to take some extra time. 

Many thanks for your response.

The double major could be an issue.  Since the minimum requirement for being an officer is a bachelor's degree, the Navy isn't going to pay you NUPOC money to continue going to school just because you want a second one.  They will send you to OCS as soon as possible if accepted.  Again, you'd have to talk with a recruiter and show him your education plan.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #8 on: Feb 03, 2015, 09:21 »
Thanks for the response.  I don't quite understand.  If one is enlisted, they generally are not a college student, are they?  The luxury of NUPOC seems to be that one does not have to be enlisted during their schooling.

What, and miss out on the best part of the Navy???  :P

On-topic: There is an E-6 obligation in the program, as seen in http://www.navy.mil/navydata/cno/n87/usw/issue_10/nupoc.html

Offline galoot

• Very Lite User
« Reply #9 on: Feb 03, 2015, 09:42 »
The double major could be an issue.  Since the minimum requirement for being an officer is a bachelor's degree, the Navy isn't going to pay you NUPOC money to continue going to school just because you want a second one.  They will send you to OCS as soon as possible if accepted.  Again, you'd have to talk with a recruiter and show him your education plan.

I just realized this today myself.  I suspect that a recruiter will suggest for me to finish my math degree in the next year and abandon my EE degree.  In terms of the NUPOC Program, I will be able to satisfy the requirements, and I won't need an age waiver. 

It's a tough decision because I feel the EE degree is better for employment than my Applied Math degree is.  Of course, should I have the privilege of being accepted in NUPOC, who knows what I will want to do after serving my time.  With access to the GI Bill, I will be able to finish my EE degree should I desire to, but that seems rather unlikely.

Offline galoot

• Very Lite User
« Reply #10 on: Feb 03, 2015, 09:44 »
What, and miss out on the best part of the Navy???  :P

On-topic: There is an E-6 obligation in the program, as seen in http://www.navy.mil/navydata/cno/n87/usw/issue_10/nupoc.html

;D 

That was poorly worded.  What I meant was that those who are enrolled in NUPOC can live their collegiate days as if they were any other student.  No ROTC or uniforms. 

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?