Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Time to Reconsider Nuclear Propulsion

Author Topic: Time to Reconsider Nuclear Propulsion  (Read 2694 times)

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!

Offline Gamecock

• Gold Member
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
Re: Time to Reconsider Nuclear Propulsion
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2015, 12:30 »
I know someone who did some research on this very topic several years ago.  ;)

If you ask me, I'll send you his research.
« Last Edit: Feb 06, 2015, 01:34 by Gamecock »
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2015, 12:56 »
I know someone who did some research on this very topic several years ago.  ;)

Interesting read different conclusions. The article in Maritime Executive seems to focus only on the newer thorium reactor design and talks about new construction not refitting an existing cargo vessel even speculating that cruising speeds of 50 knots would further drop cost. Higher power density, reduced high level waste cost, and no fuel tanks increasing cargo space would seem to be positives. But then proposals by nuclear vendors are a bit rosy, the manpower projections for manpower needs of early plants was far below actual manning ("to cheap to meter")  ;).

What was your grade? An "A" I would assume.  8)
« Last Edit: Feb 06, 2015, 01:35 by Gamecock »

Offline Gamecock

• Gold Member
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2015, 01:21 »
   Interesting read different conclusions. The article in Maritime Executive seems to focus only on the newer thorium reactor design and talks about new construction not refitting an existing cargo vessel even speculating that cruising speeds of 50 knots would further drop cost. Higher power density, reduced high level waste cost, and no fuel tanks increasing cargo space would seem to be positives. But then proposals by nuclear vendors are a bit rosy, the manpower projections for manpower needs of early plants was far below actual manning ("to cheap to meter")  ;).

What was your grade? An "A" I would assume.  8)

I interviewed a VP from one of the major shipping company.  He stated that regardless of the economics, his company would never build/operate a nuke cargo ship.  He said that the politics and the regulatory red tape that would undoubtedly develop would ultimately drive up costs beyond what could be shown on paper.  I touched on some of those issues in section 3.5 and again through section 4.

I did get an A, but the ultimate reward was that my scholastic endeavours was formally complete once I turned in the thesis.
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?