Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu New Nuke A school question

Author Topic: New Nuke A school question  (Read 52024 times)

Offline dxbullet19

• Lurker
New Nuke A school question
« on: Feb 06, 2015, 04:43 »
Hello everyone, this is my first post here and I just had a question about A school. I am currently married and my wife and I were wondering if she can live with me down in A school. I've asked a bunch of people but haven't really got a straight answer. Some people told me after A school we can, other people told me we could get military housing on base right away, and a bunch of other answers. So I was just wondering if anyone here can give me some insight as to what might happen after boot camp. I leave in 10 days for boot.
Thank you very much!

Offline Tylor

• Moderate User
Re: New Nuke A school question
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2015, 12:08 »
Yes, you can. I had many married friends throughout A-School. Once you show up you'll get a week to go get your wife and your household goods, then you'll either move in on base housing, which is very close to work, about a 2 minute drive in no traffic, or you can get a house out in town. Out in town can be a lot nicer for the same price, but it's further away. A lot of people actually end up getting married in A-School because your quality of life is so much better. People online will tell you about how hard it is and how you'll have no free time, but it's not that bad. You'll study more than anything else you've ever done, but even my friends who struggled through the program had some free time on the weekends, and had very happy marriages. Best of luck to you, and feel free to ask any more questions.
-EM3
"There are no extraordinary men... just extraordinary circumstances that ordinary men are forced to deal with." -Admiral William Halsey

Offline dxbullet19

• Lurker
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2015, 02:10 »
Thank you for the information I really appreciate it. When did you go through A school?

Offline Tylor

• Moderate User
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2015, 05:30 »
I graduated A-School last March. I'm now in prototype in New York. I'm on here fairly often, feel free to ask any questions.
"There are no extraordinary men... just extraordinary circumstances that ordinary men are forced to deal with." -Admiral William Halsey

Offline Rusty Flattop

• Lurker
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2016, 05:20 »
Any advice for my Nuke. Having trouble with the Widowmaker. Just got study hours bumped up. Any advice or point me to resources to help her get thru?

Offline Tylor

• Moderate User
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2016, 08:32 »
The "widowmakers" are jokes. People worry about them, study harder, and end up fine on the test for the most part. You should have a good study method by the time you get there. (Wether you're talking about E-funds in A-school or RP-3 in NPS) Hit those TGO's and make sure you're reviewing from the the other test periods. Best of luck.

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2016, 04:59 »
If you're married, you can live with your spouse in A School and Power School, either in base housing or off base (with BAH off base).

If you live in base housing and drive to the A School building, you should be punched. It's maybe 2 miles, just take a brisk walk (or if they have locker rooms, jog).

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2016, 11:12 »
If you live in base housing and drive to the A School building, you should be punched. It's maybe 2 miles, just take a brisk walk (or if they have locker rooms, jog).
Right, because people have nothing better to do but spend an hour and 20 minutes every day commuting to work on foot.

Offline Rerun

• Heavy User
« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2016, 08:49 »
Lets see an hour and 20 minutes walking is a good work out... I heard once in the military being in decent shape is a good thing... Well I heard that.

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2016, 01:21 »
Lets see an hour and 20 minutes walking is a good work out... I heard once in the military being in decent shape is a good thing... Well I heard that.
Only in the submarine force would anyone ever consider walking a 'good workout.'

Offline Rerun

• Heavy User
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2016, 01:41 »
Lets see it burns calories and keeps one in decent shape. Its also recommended by virtually every doctor in the world...

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #11 on: Jan 15, 2016, 01:51 »
BZ's general observation on Internet forums/threads etal, By the 5th post in any thread it starts drifting off topic. By 12 to 15 it has nothing to do with the original topic and if it surives to 30 or so it magically gets back on topic. This applies almost everywhere.

Mike

right on schedule,...

post #5 - jumps from housing for the wife after boot camp to widowmaker being tough on the husband,...

and now we're typing philosophical on walking stuff,...

can't wait for post #22,... :P ;) :) 8)

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Faded

« Reply #12 on: Jan 25, 2016, 07:13 »
Only in the submarine force would anyone ever consider walking a 'good workout.' But have you seen the price of the Jes Extender recently?

Ah the old walking workout. Also known as the workout for grannies.
« Last Edit: Sep 23, 2016, 10:48 by Faded »

Offline Rerun

• Heavy User
« Reply #13 on: Jan 25, 2016, 10:58 »
You burn as many calories and the fact is the extra hour a day helps.

Offline Rerun

• Heavy User
« Reply #14 on: Jan 25, 2016, 10:59 »
GLW LOL told ya!

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #15 on: Jan 26, 2016, 11:55 »
Lets see it burns calories and keeps one in decent shape. Its also recommended by virtually every doctor in the world...
Yea, now you're moving the goal posts. "Good workout" is not synonymous with every activity that burns calories nor is it synonymous with every activity recommended by doctors.

The fitness standards for the Navy require one to be capable of RUNNING 1.5 miles (after doing 2 minutes of situps and 2 minutes of push-ups). You will never, ever get there if your workout plan involves a long stroll to and from work every morning, and someone who spends an hour and a half commuting is not going to have much time to do a real workout.

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #16 on: Jan 26, 2016, 04:11 »
Two possible solutions then:

1. Pick 3 days a week and jog home, have your uniform in a backpack.

2. Get bike and ride everyday. Not necessarily the best cardio workout as it will probably only be about 10 minutes, but more efficient (and likely faster) than a car.

Also, it doesn't take much cardio to pass the run. Hell, I spent most of my time on the 3 mile club and passed the PFA every time (until I got fat).

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #17 on: Jan 27, 2016, 05:42 »
Yea, now you're moving the goal posts. "Good workout" is not synonymous with every activity that burns calories nor is it synonymous with every activity recommended by doctors.

The fitness standards for the Navy require one to be capable of RUNNING 1.5 miles (after doing 2 minutes of situps and 2 minutes of push-ups). You will never, ever get there if your workout plan involves a long stroll to and from work every morning, and someone who spends an hour and a half commuting is not going to have much time to do a real workout.

Don't forget that you can also ride a bike for 12 minutes now....

Or do elliptical....
Or swim....

Running is not required.

Cheers,

GC
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

HeavyD

« Reply #18 on: Jan 27, 2016, 08:47 »
So, in a vain attempt to steer this post back towards the original topic, can someone enlighten this retiree on what "widowmakers" are?  Never heard the term, applied to nuclear power, until this post.

As for how the wife handles it, this will most likely be one of the easier things she has to deal with being married to an Active Duty sailor.  If she struggles mightily with this, you guys may want to seek some counseling or start having some serious conversations about your future.

Not trying to be all doom and gloom, but it only gets harder for the family, culminating with deployments.

Best of luck and thank you for volunteering to serve!

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #19 on: Jan 27, 2016, 12:43 »
Good advice HeavyD.  I was wondering the same thing about the "widowmakers". 

I was married between EM A school in Great Lakes and NPS class 8502.   I was very lucky.  Mrs. M put up with my workaholic ways for 24 years in the Navy and almost 7 years of civilian nuclear power.   I just started at EB teaching Naval Nuclear Power Plant fundamentals.  I am still waiting for my security clearance, but life is good.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

Offline Rerun

• Heavy User
« Reply #20 on: Jan 27, 2016, 03:18 »
In my opinion if a woman isn't ready to put up with strange hours why did you marry her? I have been married nearly 29 years.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?