Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Current A School nuke needing an answer  

Author Topic: Current A School nuke needing an answer  (Read 4029 times)

Offline martinz

• Very Lite User
Current A School nuke needing an answer
« on: Mar 18, 2015, 09:54 »
So, I made it through bootcamp and am currently in my first week for NNPTC A School here in Charleston. I've been asking around and trying to find answers but I keep receiving a mixture of yes and no's. My question for somebody who is knowledgeable on the subject, "Is it possible to go from a nuke, into the Sta 21 program to become a nurse/ officer." I've read that you can ask to be detached from your rate or something along that line through official documents on Navpers or Bupers or something. I'm very confused on the whole thing. I get that nukes are undermanned (bs) so I feel like they wouldn't accept my transfer. Can anyone help me out here and give me some sort of an answer?? Please and thank you.

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
Re: Current A School nuke needing an answer
« Reply #1 on: Mar 19, 2015, 03:58 »
If only STA-21 operated a website with information on the subject along with contact information links...

EDIT: The conditional release message is here:

http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/reference/messages/Documents/NAVADMINS/NAV2013/NAV13070.txt

You must get an authorization from BUPERS to be released from nuclear field duty. It will only be given automatically to you if you are within 18 months of EAOS. Otherwise, it will be considered on a case-by-case basis. You can try to get it at this stage of your career, but my guess is that they are going to tell you no unless it's for the STA-21 nuke option application.

PS: Out of curiosity, what possessed you to enlist as a nuke if you wanted to be a nurse?
« Last Edit: Mar 19, 2015, 04:09 by spekkio »

Offline martinz

• Very Lite User
« Reply #2 on: Mar 19, 2015, 05:52 »
Thank you for the link. I've seen it before and the fact that it says WILL be released. You know the navy though..
Why did I join as a nuke and instead of trying to be a nurse? I told my recruiter I'd like to be a corpsman and go to college to do so, but apparently that wasn't open. I'm sure it was with the rate at which people join. Anyways, a big 75k was slapped in front of me, e3 promised, and immediate advancement down the road. Wouldn't you? Haha. Up until about a week before bootcamp I told him I wouldn't go. Now, I'm here in the great Charleston.
"Does that answer your question?"

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #3 on: Mar 19, 2015, 08:31 »
Thank you for the link. I've seen it before and the fact that it says WILL be released. You know the navy though..
I think you misread. The 18 months means within 18 months of EAOS. For you, that's what, at least 4 1/2 years from now? Everything else is up to N133 in Millington, and he probably won't sign that release at this point unless you are applying for STA-21 nuke. Without that release, you can't submit an application.
Why did I join as a nuke and instead of trying to be a nurse? I told my recruiter I'd like to be a corpsman and go to college to do so, but apparently that wasn't open. I'm sure it was with the rate at which people join. Anyways, a big 75k was slapped in front of me, e3 promised, and immediate advancement down the road. Wouldn't you?
Nope. If I wanted to be a nurse, I would have gone to nursing school. By the way, the HM rating doesn't send you to college. They also promote like the Marines because they are so full, ie you could find yourself being a terminal E-3.

I also wouldn't sign a contract for a big fat bonus and expect the employer to let me walk away and do another job within a year.
Haha.
I suppose.
Up until about a week before bootcamp I told him I wouldn't go. Now, I'm here in the great Charleston.
"Does that answer your question?"
Sure does.
« Last Edit: Mar 19, 2015, 08:33 by spekkio »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?