Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Questions about NR Engineering

Author Topic: Questions about NR Engineering  (Read 3690 times)

Offline elecrisity

• Lurker
Questions about NR Engineering
« on: Mar 23, 2015, 05:56 »
Hey everyone,

I am a junior in NROTC studying electrical engineering with a 3.87 GPA. I haven't been very interested in the nuke community but officers in my unit say that I may be forced to go to an interview for a nuke position. I don't have much interest in joining the Sub or SWO(n) community but the NR engineering program seems interesting. It looks like I meet most of the requirements but other aspects of the program are a bit nebulous. I have asked the nuke officer at my unit some of these questions but he doesn't know much about the NR side of things. I understand some of the duties and that it may be a dead end for a naval career but I had some questions regarding the application.

1) I am doing my major at a state school and it seems that NR is looking for applicants from a prestigious school. Is this a significant disadvantage for me? Other threads on this topic said that NR had a tier system for schools, but I couldn't find it. Is there a tier system for schools? Am I able to see it?

2) If I apply for an NR position and I do not get it, will I be forced into the other nuke communities? If I am given an interview for NR and I am not chosen for NR, will I be forced into the other nuke communities?

3) I want to do my concentration in electromagnetics. Would picking a concentration like control systems be better for NR? Does my concentration really matter?

4) I haven't had any internships or relevant jobs, but I may be offered a research opportunity this summer. Would this boost my application significantly or would it be of little consequence?

5) Other posts say that applying to NR is very competitive, but this is mostly from the NUPOC side. Is selection to NR from NROTC also very competitive?
« Last Edit: Mar 23, 2015, 10:56 by elecrisity »

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
Re: Questions about NR Engineering
« Reply #1 on: Mar 24, 2015, 05:14 »
When I used to do interviews, sometimes a person would be interviewing for instructor or subs.  This meant I had the option of recommending acceptance for instructor or subs, or both. I say recommend because it is the admirals decision whether someone gets accepted into his program.   

I was never senior enough to do NR engineer interviews, but I would imagine it would be similar.  Just because someone might not be acceptable as an NR engineer does not mean s/he would not be a acceptable as a SWO or submariner.

Cheers,

GC
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline klj3827

• Light User
Re: Questions about NR Engineering
« Reply #2 on: Apr 01, 2015, 02:17 »
Hey everyone,

I am a junior in NROTC studying electrical engineering with a 3.87 GPA. I haven't been very interested in the nuke community but officers in my unit say that I may be forced to go to an interview for a nuke position. I don't have much interest in joining the Sub or SWO(n) community but the NR engineering program seems interesting. It looks like I meet most of the requirements but other aspects of the program are a bit nebulous. I have asked the nuke officer at my unit some of these questions but he doesn't know much about the NR side of things. I understand some of the duties and that it may be a dead end for a naval career but I had some questions regarding the application.

1) I am doing my major at a state school and it seems that NR is looking for applicants from a prestigious school. Is this a significant disadvantage for me? Other threads on this topic said that NR had a tier system for schools, but I couldn't find it. Is there a tier system for schools? Am I able to see it?

--Yes, slightly. No idea if there is a tier system.

2) If I apply for an NR position and I do not get it, will I be forced into the other nuke communities? If I am given an interview for NR and I am not chosen for NR, will I be forced into the other nuke communities?

--You have the option to apply only for NR; however, the interviewer can recommend you for the fleet. If you are dead-set against going into subs or nuke SWO, be prepared to say "no" to a four-star if he accepts you for either of those communities but not NR.

3) I want to do my concentration in electromagnetics. Would picking a concentration like control systems be better for NR? Does my concentration really matter?

--Maybe slightly.

4) I haven't had any internships or relevant jobs, but I may be offered a research opportunity this summer. Would this boost my application significantly or would it be of little consequence?

--Yes.

5) Other posts say that applying to NR is very competitive, but this is mostly from the NUPOC side. Is selection to NR from NROTC also very competitive?

--Yes.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?