Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Waiver Question for Nuke honeypot

Author Topic: Waiver Question for Nuke  (Read 4226 times)

Offline charliem

• Lurker
Waiver Question for Nuke
« on: Mar 25, 2015, 09:16 »
I am currently still in high school and I'm in the DEP program, I leave Aug 5th 2015, because I'm still a senior in High school. I'm currently in an advanced Calculus class and I'm not doing too hot. I've already gotten one D and I think Im going to get a C this quarter. There is still one more quarter after this one. I am mainly concerned because I really want to be a Nuke, but Im not sure how these grades are going to impact me. I've already been to MEPs and signed a contract, so can they still drop me from the program, and if yes is there anything I can do to "prevent" that. I know that I shouldn't have got those grades in the first place and I was being dumb and didn't really know the consequences at that time. Was the contract I signed at MEPs the real deal, or was kind of like a temporary contract and if I am in danger of being dropped from the program what are some things I can do to help my situation are basically my questions.

Thanks in advance

Offline sovbob

• Fact-Checker
  • Moderate User
  • Vanguard of the Vox Populi
Re: Waiver Question for Nuke
« Reply #1 on: Mar 26, 2015, 06:51 »
You're probably fine.

Because you got a D in a high school math class, you will probably be required to get an academic waiver. Don't worry it's not a big deal. Enlisted nuke school does not require ANY calculus whatsoever. It's all algebra-based.

The contract you signed at MEPS is technically a binding contract. If the Navy (which promised you the nuke program) denies your academic waiver (which seems unlikely), you will be released from your obligation since they cannot fulfill their end of the deal.
"Everyone's entitled to be stupid now and then, but you're abusing the privilege."

Offline Tylor

• Moderate User
« Reply #2 on: Apr 07, 2015, 12:41 »
I needed to get an academic waiver when I came through for pretty much the same reason. Also I initially joined on an AECF contract, but switched when I got my nuke contract a few weeks later. Pushed my ship date back some, (about six months, actually) but I got the contract. Waivers are relatively easy to get, that's more big navy stuff. I'd definitely put the petal to the metal in high school though, working on your study habits now will give you a head start in A-school. I had never studied through high school, and was a pretty lazy student. When I got to Charleston I really had to learn how to have an academic work ethic. You put a lot of work into learning, odds are more than you've been used to. Best of luck with your naval future, if you have any questions feel free to message me on here. I love talking to new sailors and I'm currently finishing up my last leg of training at Prototype in New York. I should have some of the most up-to-date information on the training pipeline from a student's perspective.
"There are no extraordinary men... just extraordinary circumstances that ordinary men are forced to deal with." -Admiral William Halsey

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #3 on: Apr 07, 2015, 01:11 »
I am currently still in high school and I'm in the DEP program, I leave Aug 5th 2015, because I'm still a senior in High school. I'm currently in an advanced Calculus class and I'm not doing too hot. I've already gotten one D and I think Im going to get a C this quarter. There is still one more quarter after this one. I am mainly concerned because I really want to be a Nuke, but Im not sure how these grades are going to impact me. I've already been to MEPs and signed a contract, so can they still drop me from the program, and if yes is there anything I can do to "prevent" that. I know that I shouldn't have got those grades in the first place and I was being dumb and didn't really know the consequences at that time. Was the contract I signed at MEPs the real deal, or was kind of like a temporary contract and if I am in danger of being dropped from the program what are some things I can do to help my situation are basically my questions.

Thanks in advance
1) Talk to your recruiter
2) Take a hard look at your study habits and change course now. This will help you both in HS and in the Navy. Nuke school doesn't teach advanced concepts, but what it does teach comes at a very fast pace.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?