Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Recent NLO Positions 2015 honeypot

Author Topic: Recent NLO Positions 2015  (Read 31411 times)

Offline Bob_Buck

• Light User
Recent NLO Positions 2015
« on: Mar 28, 2015, 05:07 »
In the last couple of months there have been a lot of NLO postings and I thought I would create a thread so the individuals applying for these positions could stay in the know about the current status of the hiring process. I know some of these positions have already hired, namely the Duke sites. These are the plants that have posted jobs that I can remember off the top of my head: Quad Cities, Limerick, Dresden, Braidwood, Beaver Valley, Davis-Besse, Salem/Hope Creek, McGuire, Harris, Oconee, Catawba, and Plymouth. I have applied to a couple of these but the only one I have heard from so far is Salem. I was invited to take the mass/poss but I had previously passed it with another utility. The test was scheduled for 3/27/2015 so I'm assuming interviews for the position will start soon. If anyone has any information on any other plants please share and I will do the same if I hear from any of the others I have applied to. 

Offline Lethological

• Light User
Re: Recent NLO Positions 2015
« Reply #1 on: Mar 28, 2015, 09:19 »
You can add Comanche Peak to that list.  They had everyone take the POSS on March 9th.  The job posting states that offers should be sent in April or May.  I would imagine that they would be sent out in April, since they class up on June 8th.  I still haven't heard back on whether or not I have an offer.

Offline Gamecock

• Gold Member
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #2 on: Mar 29, 2015, 08:04 »
What is a ballpark pay rate for an NLO?
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline Hraesvelg

• Light User
« Reply #3 on: Mar 29, 2015, 08:08 »
Depends on experience, we top out around $43-44/hr here. With OT we make around $120k-$130k a year.

Offline Bob_Buck

• Light User
« Reply #4 on: Mar 29, 2015, 10:35 »
You can add Comanche Peak to that list.  They had everyone take the POSS on March 9th.  The job posting states that offers should be sent in April or May.  I would imagine that they would be sent out in April, since they class up on June 8th.  I still haven't heard back on whether or not I have an offer.

I wish I had known they were hiring, I would have liked to get in there. Bad job out of me. Thanks for sharing this information!

Offline Bob_Buck

• Light User
« Reply #5 on: Mar 29, 2015, 03:56 »
Here is an updated list with the current information that I have. Anyone have any info on the Exelon sites?
Quad Cities -
Limerick -
Dresden -
Braidwood -
Beaver Valley - Testing/Interviewing. Class up June 1st
Davis-Besse -
Salem/Hope Creek - Testing, interviewing soon
McGuire -
Catawba - Interviewing
Harris -
Oconee -
Plymouth -
Comanche Peak - Interviewing. Class up June 8th

Offline Hraesvelg

• Light User
« Reply #6 on: Mar 29, 2015, 04:05 »
Calvert Cliffs has interviewed people and have made offers recently.

Offline Frank Cable

• Light User
« Reply #7 on: Mar 29, 2015, 05:43 »
Depends on experience, we top out around $43-44/hr here. With OT we make around $120k-$130k a year.

Does that include shift differential pay?

thenuttyneutron

« Reply #8 on: Mar 29, 2015, 07:02 »

That is very good pay for an EO.  This is about what a RO makes at Davis Besse.

Offline Hraesvelg

• Light User
« Reply #9 on: Mar 29, 2015, 08:28 »
Does that include shift differential pay?

That's everything, random OT, bonus, night shift, outage OT. This is based on my experience, working outages at other sites of course will add more.

RO's here make around $180k with everything.

Offline darks1d3

• Lurker
« Reply #10 on: Mar 29, 2015, 11:34 »
Oconee, Salem, and Beaver Valley have at least begun making offers. For Salem, that statement is based on a POSS/MASS testing date of Jan 9.

Dresden is supposed to be making decisions and informing candidates by mid-April.

Offline Bob_Buck

• Light User
« Reply #11 on: Mar 30, 2015, 05:40 »
Oconee, Salem, and Beaver Valley have at least begun making offers. For Salem, that statement is based on a POSS/MASS testing date of Jan 9.

Dresden is supposed to be making decisions and informing candidates by mid-April.

Thanks for the information! I applied for the Salem position on the 6th of March. I wonder if the position was reposted or if they are having more than one class.

Offline Pig89

• Lurker
« Reply #12 on: Mar 30, 2015, 06:23 »
I also applied to the Salem/Hope Creek posting earlier in March. Hope to hear something back soon.

There was supposed to be a class at Millstone but it was cancelled last week. I think I applied to that one in late February.

Entergy just put up a posting for a class at ANO today.

I've applied to every class up since last December (all the ones you've listed here), and only got a rejection email for Salem. I'm graduating from a NUCP-certified CC program in May and appreciate you making this thread. It's nice to have even a little information about the process for each class.

Offline Bob_Buck

• Light User
« Reply #13 on: Mar 30, 2015, 06:38 »
You and I are in the same situation, I graduate in May as well. I figured the thread wouldn't hurt anything. The suspense has been killing me lol.

Offline Jking1990

• Lurker
« Reply #14 on: Apr 02, 2015, 01:01 »
Hey guys I tested for Mcguire Nuclear Station on March 11...I got an email on March 16 that I passed the test... I have yet to here from them... does anyone have any info on this class?
« Last Edit: Apr 02, 2015, 01:07 by Jking1990 »

Offline Lethological

• Light User
« Reply #15 on: Apr 02, 2015, 02:20 »
What is a ballpark pay rate for an NLO?

I've heard that southern plants generally pay less, but I still don't think Comanche Peak pays bad.  Entry-level NEO (same as NLO) starts out at $25.07/hr, and there are progressions every 6 months until you reach senior NEO after 4 years, which pays $40.02/hr.  This is strictly base pay, and does not include things like shift differential, overtime, etc., so you can expect to always make a little more than your base.  The progression levels assume you qualify the necessary watch stations as well.  I've heard that if you have previous nuke experience, they start you off two or three levels above entry-level (so 12 month or 18 month level), but I have no way to verify that.  A NEO with 18 months makes $31.33/hr at CP.  Hope this helps.

In other news, I personally still haven't heard whether or not I have an offer, but I checked on the EFH website, and they apparently edited the job posting to include a January 8 2016 shiftwork start date.  Perhaps that means they will send out offers soon.  I guess we'll see.

Offline FancyMathematics

• Lurker
« Reply #16 on: Apr 06, 2015, 04:57 »
Since this topic has some of the most recent responses of the threads I've looked at so far (for the job information I'm looking for), I guess I might as well get my first post in here and start asking questions.  Better to be fried for ignorance within someone else's topic than within a cage of my own making....I guess.

I'm grateful to be hearing about these NLO options; I'm an ET2(SS) (likely ET1 before long) trying to figure out a nuclear operator career path after the Navy, and as a 6-and-outer I'm thinking my best option would be to start NLO and work my way up to SRO via experience and certification exams; from what I hear both within the service and without, this is the safest path.  I've been browsing NukeWorker for a few days now, and while lots of information and examples exist on what to do and what not to do, much of it seems dated by at least two years, making silent, lurking research seem less appealing than it otherwise would.

More than anything I'm trying to figure out exactly what I should do to apply for these positions...whether I should be contacting these plants directly via information on their web-pages, finding my way in via headhunters, or both.  I have a nice-looking resume ready to go, but anyone can crap out one of those and you more experienced people out there pretty much have an idea of what mine says (6-and-out = not much) based on what I've put out so far.  I've also looked at the NRC homepage, tried to determine which reactor plant is right for me, started up my LinkedIn page, looked at past certification exam questions, and in general have been trying to do some homework, but it would be awesome if I could get a more re-assuring push in the right direction.

Finally, if it would be better for me to just go ahead and make my own topic, please let me know.  Like I said, I am interested in an NLO position (though preferrably in the Northeast), so this at least did seem pertinent to me.

Too bad NWUs aren't actually flame-retardant...*preemptively puts up flame shield*

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #17 on: Apr 06, 2015, 07:28 »
Since this topic has some of the most recent responses of the threads I've looked at so far (for the job information I'm looking for), I guess I might as well get my first post in here and start asking questions.  Better to be fried for ignorance within someone else's topic than within a cage of my own making....I guess.

I'm grateful to be hearing about these NLO options; I'm an ET2(SS) (likely ET1 before long) trying to figure out a nuclear operator career path after the Navy, and as a 6-and-outer I'm thinking my best option would be to start NLO and work my way up to SRO via experience and certification exams; from what I hear both within the service and without, this is the safest path.  I've been browsing NukeWorker for a few days now, and while lots of information and examples exist on what to do and what not to do, much of it seems dated by at least two years, making silent, lurking research seem less appealing than it otherwise would.

More than anything I'm trying to figure out exactly what I should do to apply for these positions...whether I should be contacting these plants directly via information on their web-pages, finding my way in via headhunters, or both.  I have a nice-looking resume ready to go, but anyone can crap out one of those and you more experienced people out there pretty much have an idea of what mine says (6-and-out = not much) based on what I've put out so far.  I've also looked at the NRC homepage, tried to determine which reactor plant is right for me, started up my LinkedIn page, looked at past certification exam questions, and in general have been trying to do some homework, but it would be awesome if I could get a more re-assuring push in the right direction.

Finally, if it would be better for me to just go ahead and make my own topic, please let me know.  Like I said, I am interested in an NLO position (though preferrably in the Northeast), so this at least did seem pertinent to me.

Too bad NWUs aren't actually flame-retardant...*preemptively puts up flame shield*

I agree, your best chance of success is going the NLO-RO-SRO route. Technically you are eligible for D-RO/SRO, but like you said, you're competing with people with more experience for those positions.

As far as applying goes, look at the company websites for job postings, check on this site, Indeed.com, and perhaps Monster for postings. If you're having trouble finding postings, talk to recruiters. There are a couple that work with nuclear companies and that work with navy nukes, most of them are pretty good.

When you get to your interview, make sure you state, in no uncertain terms, that your goal is to get your license. Most (if not all) companies have the expectation that NLOs will get their license, or at the very least will put that candidate higher on their list.

Good luck.

Offline Lethological

• Light User
« Reply #18 on: Apr 08, 2015, 09:54 »
Well, it's been a month since I interviewed, and I still haven't heard anything back.  I'm curious if they're going to be sending the offer via e-mail or regular mail.  I'm also curious if Comanche Peak has already sent out offers. 

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #19 on: Apr 08, 2015, 06:16 »
Again, personal experience here. When I interviewed last year, I received offers via email (although I did get a phone call with a summary to let me know the offer was coming for one of them). For the position I didn't receive an offer for, I had to call to ask the status. At this point, it might be a good idea to call or email one of your interviewers or the HR rep for an update. Another point, for future interviews, don't forget to ask what the hiring timetable looks like so you know about how long you'll be waiting for an offer.

Offline Lethological

• Light User
« Reply #20 on: Apr 11, 2015, 02:17 »
Again, personal experience here. When I interviewed last year, I received offers via email (although I did get a phone call with a summary to let me know the offer was coming for one of them). For the position I didn't receive an offer for, I had to call to ask the status. At this point, it might be a good idea to call or email one of your interviewers or the HR rep for an update. Another point, for future interviews, don't forget to ask what the hiring timetable looks like so you know about how long you'll be waiting for an offer.
Funny you say that, because as soon as I left the room, I realized I forgot to ask when the hiring date would be.  I ended up asking one of the other interviewers there during the lunch break.  I didn't think to ask how long I would be waiting for an offer.  After thoroughly reading these forums, I assumed I would hear something back between two to four weeks, since that's how long most people had to wait.  TVA is the only other company I've read about that takes more than 4 weeks to send out offers.  Again, the job posting says "April - May".  However, since they class up June 8th, and they also have to give people fire brigade physicals, it's hard to imagine them waiting past April to send out offers.

On a related note, I did manage to talk to a few people either at the plant, or people who interviewed.  I found out that they will hire 6 NEOs out of the 30 or so that interviewed.  One of those people that interviewed was a MMC, another was a NLO looking to relocate, and another person I talked to that interviewed works at security.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I would think there's a high chance those 3 will be getting offers.  That leaves 3 positions left.  I know I did well during my interview, but I don't know if I did "top 10%" well.  I came prepared and wasn't afraid to answer questions, so I hope I was one of the other 3.  If I don't hear anything back by next week, I'll send an e-mail to the HR rep and inquire.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #21 on: Apr 12, 2015, 07:05 »
Stop waiting and call now. It's your career, go after it.

When I was waiting for offers, I called every week.

Justin
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline Lethological

• Light User
« Reply #22 on: Apr 13, 2015, 12:40 »
Stop waiting and call now. It's your career, go after it.

When I was waiting for offers, I called every week.

Justin
Well, I took your advice, and found out they're still in the selection process.  I suppose it won't be too much longer before they send out offers, though.  I'll check back with them weekly until I find out for sure if I have an offer or not. 

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #23 on: Apr 14, 2015, 10:15 »
Doesn't it feel better knowing, instead of wondering?  ;)

Keep us posted!

Justin
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline Lethological

• Light User
« Reply #24 on: Apr 22, 2015, 01:56 »
Well, no news this week.  I've attempted to call them on several occasions and haven't been able to get through to anyone.  I also sent a few e-mails on Monday, but I still haven't heard back yet.  It's been almost 2 months since I've interviewed.  I had no idea I would be waiting this long to hear something back.  Guess I'll just keep waiting...  [coffee]

Offline Bob_Buck

• Light User
« Reply #25 on: Apr 22, 2015, 04:21 »
I couldn't imagine waiting 2 months. It's been 5 days since my interview and I'm already anxious.

Offline Lethological

• Light User
« Reply #26 on: Apr 23, 2015, 01:17 »
I couldn't imagine waiting 2 months. It's been 5 days since my interview and I'm already anxious.
It's definitely testing my patience having to wait this long, I can say that! I finally got in touch with someone today, and they should have offers ready by the end of next week.  With that being said, I'm assuming the latest I would know would be May 8th, which is a week after the selection process should be over.  At this point, I'm hoping my last post in this thread will be good news  8)

Offline Bob_Buck

• Light User
« Reply #27 on: Apr 28, 2015, 10:02 »
I interviewed for a NLO position about a week and half ago and yesterday I was contacted by HR asking for copies of my degrees. I can't help but think this is a good sign, thinking that they wouldn't ask for these if they weren't going to send out an offer, but the pessimist side of me begs to differ. Has anyone had a similar experience?

Offline Lethological

• Light User
« Reply #28 on: Apr 28, 2015, 01:14 »
I would think that's a good sign.  The only other situation like that I've heard of is someone getting a tour of the plant after their interview.  They eventually received an offer.

On a related note, I was notified about my offer last week!   8)  All that's left is dotting the i's and crossing the t's (obtaining a clearance, physical, etc).  Be confident, be friendly, and prove that you would be a valuable asset.  Those were my goals going in, and it paid off.  I'm looking forward to the new career  ;D

Offline Rerun

• Heavy User
« Reply #29 on: Apr 28, 2015, 02:19 »
Stay at it. Keep your heads up and attitudes good. TVA offered me a job during an interview and said the formal offer was on the way. Then it took two months.

Offline Bob_Buck

• Light User
« Reply #30 on: Apr 30, 2015, 12:24 »
Congrats Lethological!

I just received and accepted my offer yesterday! I'm very excited to start my new career. Now I just have to find somewhere to live lol.

I also want to thank everyone that contributes to this forum. I have been lurking on here for the past 18 months and the information I have obtained from reading all the various posts have been great. This forum was very beneficial and I think it definitely helped me land the job. I hope that one day I will be able to contribute like many of you have and help someone else land a job in the nuclear industry.

Thanks again!

Offline Rerun

• Heavy User
« Reply #31 on: Apr 30, 2015, 12:39 »
Bob,

At Salem?

Offline Bob_Buck

• Light User
« Reply #32 on: Apr 30, 2015, 12:58 »

Offline Rerun

• Heavy User
« Reply #33 on: Apr 30, 2015, 01:34 »
Do yourself a favor. Go to Wellington and eat at the Wellington Pizza House, the best pizza in the US

Offline gpezzino26744

• Lurker
« Reply #34 on: Apr 30, 2015, 06:46 »
I also just received and accepted an offer for the operator position at Davis Besse

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #35 on: Apr 30, 2015, 10:24 »
Do yourself a favor. Go to Wellington and eat at the Wellington Pizza House, the best pizza in the US

....Six tables in a Main Street storefront two four seaters, one six seater, and three eight seaters. Established in 1966, there is a stamped tin ceiling painted dark brown without a trace of dust to be seen anywhere on that ceiling. The place is as clean as a nunnery.

Good pizza, we went for the mushroom, ham and tomato on a 16" pie, it's a thin crust style. We opted out of the onions as they tend to overwhelm and mask the subtler pleasures of pizza. I love onions on pizza but it's nice to know it was a good pizza before I massacre it with my favorite pizza topping.

Aunt Carmen was not there at 1930 on a Wednesday night, but the staff was nice and service was prompt, the fried raviolas were pleasant and the water was potable which is not all that common in North Central Ohio. We took home a pepperoni calzone for a family member who opted to stay home, a bit smallish by New York pizzeria convention but then all those New York calzones have not helped me maintain my girlish figure over the years either.

The calzone in Wellington is reminiscent of scacciata for those who have enjoyed such.

The stay at home judged the calzone to be good also.

If you're working DB, either restaurant is a good stop while enjoying North-Central Ohio....

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Rerun

• Heavy User
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2015, 09:43 »
Wow thanks !

Offline oiltonuke

• Lurker
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2015, 03:50 »
My time-line with PSEG Nuclear at Salem NJ for the Nuclear Equipment Operator position.
Online application: 10/13/14
POSS/MASS test date: 1/9/15
Received POSS/MASS result:1/28/15
Interviewed: 2/19/15
Accepted job offer: 5/11/15
Projected start date: 6/15/15

Offline surmaaja

• Lurker
« Reply #38 on: Jun 03, 2015, 12:38 »
So has anyone moved on to their next steps?  Know how many people are in your class?   Have you taken the fire brigade physical?  Any information that you can offer about what all has transpired and anything new that has happened or what you can expect in the near future as far as schedule?

Offline Nukette

• Light User
« Reply #39 on: Jul 07, 2015, 10:40 »
Here is my somewhat recent experience with the next steps as far as Exelon goes,
Received an offer around 9/2013, Fire brigade physical and clearances were given out about a month prior to starting.  I started beginning of February where after a week or so we (my EO class of 10) rolled into GFES training.  After GFES, we went to Fire Brigade training for a little over a week.  Systems training was after that where, you guessed it, we learned about all of the plant's systems...   So from my start of Feb until Aug we were in classroom training for the most part with weekly exams.  In August we had an OJT portion of training where we went on shift with our crews to learn specific tasks and get more familiar with the plant.  In January, most of us were qualified EOs. So about a year in total from the start date, did we become fully functional EO/NLOs.

If you're still looking Clinton Power Station is looking to hire another new EO class in January I believe.  Job posting is on Indeed.  Good luck :)

Offline JermonJohnson

• Journeyman
  • Lurker
  • I am a very hard dedicated man with previous exper
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2016, 12:37 »
I Jermon Johnson am new to the Nuclear Division and field. I am forklift certified...  Also great at welding, electrician, journeyman status, scaffold building, fire watch... Coding and decoding solar and turbine regulator.
Jermon Johnson

Offline JermonJohnson

• Journeyman
  • Lurker
  • I am a very hard dedicated man with previous exper
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2016, 12:44 »
Hello do anyone know employers that may need a great worker or two whos willing to travel.
Jermon Johnson

Offline Jon92179

• Very Lite User
« Reply #42 on: Jul 30, 2016, 05:13 »
Hi, I'm wondering if there is an updated list of plants hiring.  Also does anyone know the pay raise step schedule for Duke plants?

Offline revpotsy

• Lurker
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #43 on: Oct 16, 2017, 09:04 »
does anyone know of any 2018 hiring for non-license operators? i have 8 year nuke experience, 2 masters degree, and a DOE clearance. Thanks!

TVA

« Reply #44 on: Oct 16, 2017, 09:19 »
OR you could check the utility websites.

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #45 on: Oct 16, 2017, 09:23 »
I don't know of any 2018 plans, but I know of 2017 plans.

goldbergspare

« Reply #46 on: Oct 21, 2017, 01:28 »
Here is my somewhat recent experience with the next steps as far as Exelon goes,
Received an offer around 9/2013, Fire brigade physical and clearances were given out about a month prior to starting.  I started beginning of February where after a week or so we (my EO class of 10) rolled into GFES training.  After GFES, we went to Fire Brigade training for a little over a week.  Systems training was after that where, you guessed it, we learned about all of the plant's systems...   So from my start of Feb until Aug we were in classroom training for the most part with weekly exams.  In August we had an OJT portion of training where we went on shift with our crews to learn specific tasks and get more familiar with the plant.  In January, most of us were qualified EOs. So about a year in total from the start date, did we become fully functional EO/NLOs.

If you're still looking Clinton Power Station is looking to hire another new EO class in January I believe.  Job posting is on Indeed.  Good luck :)

Hey i have a question why does exelon do two drug tests? and are they the DOT 5 panel? Some people i heard were saying that Exelon was doing hair testing. but that's doesn't sound right. Can you please confirm that misconception. Thank you

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #47 on: Oct 21, 2017, 10:12 »
Does it matter? If you want to work there, you agree to submit to them, if you don't agree, you won't work there (there's another post chain about that). If they want to spend more money for extra tests, let them.

TVA

« Reply #48 on: Oct 22, 2017, 03:00 »
Exactly

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?