Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu New Nuke with Questions and vague answers from Recruiter  

Author Topic: New Nuke with Questions and vague answers from Recruiter  (Read 3412 times)

Offline donofree

• Lurker
I'm currently in DEP, and I've been getting conflicting answers from all my recruiters, and same with the forums too. I just need a direct answer can you get married during A-School, and can she come live with me? I've read most of these forums and I don't need the "rethink your strategy" statements, I appreciate the concern, but this situation is different. She has no family here in Indiana and we had an apartment together and could easily afford it but when I joined the Navy I got sick from MEPs and my job fired me. No one would really hire me because I leave so soon (Apr 15). Our funds are quickly going away and I was planning on getting engaged either before or right after boot camp, but no cash no ring no happy lady no happy me, so I just need a yes or no answer.
Thank You
                - Future Sailor Freeman

Offline TomMechEng

• Lurker
Re: New Nuke with Questions and vague answers from Recruiter
« Reply #1 on: Mar 31, 2015, 07:26 »
While I was in A-school there was a fellow student who got married.  The Navy can't prevent you from getting married.  Probably in boot camp and while deployed they can but that's not the matter here.  Your best bet is to shoot for getting married as early as possible in A-school.  The first week you are there is fairly relaxed, you can bring it up to your section leading petty officer (SLPO) then.  Your SLPO should work with you on picking a good day to get married to avoid missing classes.

I'm sorry I don't know guidelines or regulations on this but like I said, they can't deny you the ability to get married.  It may be a pain in the butt to jump through the admin hoops and moving from the barracks to base housing but it shouldn't be too bad.  Just bring it up as soon as you get to A-school with your SLPO.

I'm not a marriage counselor but I think it is a bigger issue to make sure your soon to be wife understands that school will take up a lot of your time, be stressful at times and when you get to the fleet you will be going underway. 

Best of luck

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
Re: New Nuke with Questions and vague answers from Recruiter
« Reply #2 on: Apr 02, 2015, 01:54 »
I'm currently in DEP, and I've been getting conflicting answers from all my recruiters, and same with the forums too. I just need a direct answer can you get married during A-School, and can she come live with me? I've read most of these forums and I don't need the "rethink your strategy" statements, I appreciate the concern, but this situation is different. She has no family here in Indiana and we had an apartment together and could easily afford it but when I joined the Navy I got sick from MEPs and my job fired me. No one would really hire me because I leave so soon (Apr 15). Our funds are quickly going away and I was planning on getting engaged either before or right after boot camp, but no cash no ring no happy lady no happy me, so I just need a yes or no answer.
Thank You
                - Future Sailor Freeman
Can you get married, as in fill out a piece of paper and get a marriage certificate from town hall? Yes.
Will A-School give you leave to get married or to go on a honeymoon? No.
Can you move out of the barracks if you are married? Yes.
Will the military pay to move your spouse's stuff to Charleston if you aren't married before you PCS? No.

PS: This is the obligatory your-plan-is-stupid disclaimer.
« Last Edit: Apr 02, 2015, 01:57 by spekkio »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?