Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu How do I get an age waiver for the Navy Nuclear Power school?
honeypot

Author Topic: How do I get an age waiver for the Navy Nuclear Power school?  (Read 6254 times)

Offline StoneDwarf

• Lurker
I'm 27, turning 28 in November. I did well in Algebra, both HS and college, but was unable to pass calculus. Last class I took was in 2012 or 2013 when I dropped out of college. Anyway I've since been brushing up on my mathematics skills through khanacademy in my spare time, which isn't much.

So yeah, I understand I need an age waiver. I also understand these are granted under certain conditions. Such as getting a good score on the NAPT. I know my line scores on the AFQT were at least 100 in each category which means I shouldn't need to take it. WOuld it be a good idea to request taking it anyway if I apply for an age waiver?

If so what sort of math and science should I be focusing on in my own time? I'm not looking for an "NAPT practice test", but subjects I should be studying to actually comprehend the information and do well.

I have to take a hearing test before I can see if I can be seen at MEPS, and then get a waiver for hydronephrosis. Hearing test is at the end of this month, so I probably have about 3 months or so to brush up on things before seeing if they'll let me in the nuke field.

HeavyD

I'm guessing that you have already talked to a recruiter. 

Did you ask them?

The "granted under certain conditions" you speak of can be pretty easily boiled down to this; as the recruiter, how badly do I want to get this person into the Navy nuke program?

The recruiter is paid to put viable candidates into the Navy's programs.  Ask the recruiter. 

Best of luck!

Offline gunnarjs

• Lurker
As the previous poster said, it's all about your recruiter. I'm 28, and just finishing power school. It took about 1-2 months for my age waiver to be approved, and I never had to take the NAPT.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
Two of my roommates at NPS had age waivers. They both had degrees in Mechanical Engineering and both nearly flunked out.
My other roommate ended up going to jail after he returned to NPS as an instructor for selling sub stuff to an FBI agent who he thought was a russian

Hmmm, 3 roommates end up in the doghouse during NPS....perhaps I am seeing a Root Cause Evaluation need here, where did I leave my Ishikawa Fishbone template when I need one  :P

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?