Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Navy - If assigned to Aircraft Carrier can you fish in the downtime? honeypot

Author Topic: Navy - If assigned to Aircraft Carrier can you fish in the downtime?  (Read 16064 times)

Offline Nuke Jayhawk Mom

• Light User
  • Living, loving, seeing, reading & doing.

I know it is a silly question, but my son, who is in Boot Camp right now, has the impression from the recruiter that when he is not scheduled to be "working" on the ship (on watch?) and he is out at sea, that he can literally drop a fishing line off the side or back of the ship and do some deep sea fishing... hmmm.
  [lies]

I am thinking, no...but thought I'd ask for comments from those who have been a Navy Nuke on an aircraft carrier. ;D

Would you mind sharing any experiences with this? If this isn't true, then for any nuke fishermen  :old: out there--were you able to fish during any of your time while at port (on liberty or whatever it is)? Or, any advice on how, when or where he would be able to fish during that LOOOOONG time out at sea?

(Not adept on Navy lingo just yet... working on it)  :stupidme: Please be kind haha!  [quit]

If my questions make no sense, let me know haha and I will try to clarify as best I can.  :-\

Thanks for taking the time to post any responses. Go Navy!!  [thanks] ~ Proud Navy Mom :)
Mom to Nuke, Mom to Jayhawk, Wound/Ostomy Care RN at the VA Hospital

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired

-were you able to fish during any of your time while at port (on liberty or whatever it is)?

Ummm, I sure wouldn't eat the shrimp or the fish from Karachi, Pakistan (been there, done that, got the intestinal scars to prove it! :( )

Offline Nuke Jayhawk Mom

• Light User
Well thank you for replying! heehee.

I was afraid that no one on here likes to fish and were just thinking, "huh?"  ;D  I know, I know. Why reply to a post about fishing...it obviously isn't as fun as lurking... lol

Offline scotoma

• Heavy User
I don't know about a carrier, but I imagine that it would be difficult to catch anything cruising at several knots. I know fer sure that you can't fish from a submarine. ;)  :-*

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
Plus the joys of being topside when they are pumping CHT tanks overboard, not sure I'd want to reel in any brown trout during that evolution!  :P

Offline Frank Cable

• Light User
 Guys did it on the USS America all the time.

HeavyD

Currently, this type of activity is not allowed aboard carriers.

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
I don't know about a carrier, but I imagine that it would be difficult to catch anything cruising at several knots. I know fer sure that you can't fish from a submarine. ;)  :-*
au contraire - you just have to be on the surface. Whilst in the south atlantic, our sonar chief informed the captain that we were in the midst of a good school of fish. Surfaced, fished and had mahi mahi (dolphin) for supper. Caught about 15 of them, avg several pounds each.
I was the cook that cleaned and cooked them  8)
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline Nuke Jayhawk Mom

• Light User
Well well well! Seems a bit encouraging... awesome! Thanks for the responses...

...some of which graphically depicted some really super gross stuff haha.  [poo]

What about ports, I heard from someone else on here that they are pretty toxic...but what ports did you go to that you were able to go on really great USO planned fishing excursions, any that stand out? (so I can tell my SR about them when he's struggling through A school, for him to look forward to)  ;D

Oh, and one more thing  [OT] what is the  [jerry] smiley reference...I don't get it--aka not in the club on that one yet...

[thanks]

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
Oh, and one more thing  [OT] what is the  [jerry] smiley reference...I don't get it--aka not in the club on that one yet...

[thanks]

It is an implied warning that a Forum thread is about to become a brawl, which usually gets it moved to GoldMember, so for less than a Venti Iced Green Tea Latte per month, you can wrassle with the best of 'em!  8)

Offline Nuke Jayhawk Mom

• Light User
lol ok I get it...
And I don't bother with the green tea latte stuff. Gimme the triple venti white chocolate mocha and I'm good to go. :)

I think I will end up doing the upgrade I suppose... Just need to see that my son will actually make it to A school... let alone through it haha...

;D

Online Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
I think I will end up doing the upgrade I suppose... Just need to see that my son will actually make it to A school... let alone through it haha...

;D

Gold Member area is a little more wild west, a thick skin may be required especially in PolySci but Navy Stories in GM has some additional info you may find interesting.

[coffee]
« Last Edit: Apr 15, 2015, 10:51 by Marlin »

Offline fritzon

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Well, if you are fishing in a foreign port of call, you are fishing in the local area's toilet.   Few sewage treatment plants exist in foreign ports.  Much of what we call "Third World Countries", are very primitive in that respect. 
Those who will not defend their freedom, have no right to live in a free society.

Offline Nuke Jayhawk Mom

• Light User
oh ok got it Marlin, thanks.
 [salute]
I guess I just figured Gold Members wouldn't appreciate freeloaders like me coming into their site for sneak peeks and insights...  [sherlock] so I thought it may be frowned upon if I didn't literally "pay my dues" haha.  [protest]

Happy to keep my thin skin, sensitive, nonviolent, overly empathizing, save-the-world-complexed, complete crybaby, ignorant, girly ways  [GH]  [Bubbles] :'( [whistle]
...which is yet another reason I don't support the  [navy sub] "women in subs" initiatives...because that's just how girls are.  [stir]

I shall steer clear of the wild west area!  [banned]

And to you, fritzon, for your comments, I thank you for enabling me to again use the icon expressing my sentiment of "ewh, gross." [poo]  lol  and I would not like to learn any more about the grossness of ports in Third World Countries. If one should choose to share more yucky stuff, I will have to find a paddle. haha   [spank]

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
au contraire - you just have to be on the surface. Whilst in the south atlantic, our sonar chief informed the captain that we were in the midst of a good school of fish. Surfaced, fished and had mahi mahi (dolphin) for supper. Caught about 15 of them, avg several pounds each.
I was the cook that cleaned and cooked them  8)

you bastid!!!!

"NO ONE!!!! eats my friend the dolphin!!"....MM2/SS Cooperfish, circa 1983

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Druid

Currently, this type of activity is not allowed aboard carriers.

That's a shame. I had a collapsible pole and reel along with a small Plano satchel for my tackle. Some places you anchored you just didn't want to do it (previously comments about sewer dumping in the harbors.) Other times we anchored in some pretty nice spots.

Best,
D

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?