Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Engineering Lab Technician - - Info?  

Author Topic: Engineering Lab Technician - - Info?  (Read 27681 times)

Offline Astroraith

• Lurker
Engineering Lab Technician - - Info?
« on: Apr 16, 2015, 02:41 »
Hey everyone! I swore into America's Navy on January 22 this year. I don't ship until September 22. However, I'm seeking as much information as possible. One of my recruiters was a former ET and provided some great information. One thing that his information was limited to was the Engineering Lab Technicians. From what I understand, this is a very difficult job to obtain as a nuke. Does anyone have any more information about it? The way that my recruiter explained it, these guys were on the chemistry side of the reactors and did things like checking pH levels, oxygen levels, etc.

Are there any former or current Engineering Lab Technicians out there who could possibly provide some more information? While I will gladly and proudly accept being an ET, EM, or MM, this role is where a majority of my interests lie. Thank you in advance!

Offline Nuke Jayhawk Mom

• Light User
  • Living, loving, seeing, reading & doing.
Re: Engineering Lab Technician - - Info?
« Reply #2 on: Apr 18, 2015, 09:24 »
First, check the link above and read. Then I would just add in this to explain a bit further. I only read into all this stuff because my son is a nuke in boot camp right now.

There are 3 rates you might be placed into by the Navy. MM-machinist mate, EM-electricians mate, ET-electronics technician. Needs of the Navy is the decision maker, along with your ASVAB scores, but they tease you with the thought that your preference will also influence the placement. haha.

Anyway, if you sign up for MM in your DEP contract, you are for sure going to be MM, it won't change. If not, you may be rated any one of the three.

If you are MM, and you do really well in nuke school (A school, power school, and prototype) you might be selected for ELT school or may get to choose that on your own (??don't know)... but it is an additional 13 weeks of training to be completed after graduation from power school, the final portion of your nuke schooling.

MM with ELT is from what I have read, a pretty neat option, and can give you a slight edge from what I can tell.

I don't know much more than that, so don't ask me haha... but that is what I have learned so far. 
Mom to Nuke, Mom to Jayhawk, Wound/Ostomy Care RN at the VA Hospital

Offline Nuke Jayhawk Mom

• Light User
  • Living, loving, seeing, reading & doing.
« Reply #3 on: Apr 18, 2015, 09:26 »
p.s. Thank you for volunteering to serve our country. :)
 [thanks]

and here is an interesting forum topic to read through...search for:   
Obtaining Your Nuclear Rating of Choice
« Last Edit: Apr 18, 2015, 10:01 by NukeJayhawkMom »
Mom to Nuke, Mom to Jayhawk, Wound/Ostomy Care RN at the VA Hospital

Offline ghaleonx39

• Very Lite User
« Reply #4 on: Apr 19, 2015, 08:47 »
When I was in prototype, I knew I wanted to be an ELT so I started making buddies with and getting closer to the ELT trainers/instructors on staff.  Best thing to do is when you get to prototype, find the Lead ELT on your crew and talk to them right at the beginning and tell them your intentions.

Note: This was over 10 years ago for me, but I'd imagine things shouldn't be too different that you can't do what I suggest.

Also you said you wanted additional information.  I know there's tons of it around the forums here, but long story short, yes they handle the chemistry side of things as well as radiological controls.  So as an ELT you'd be sampling, analyzing, performing radiation surveys, contamination job coverage, and so on.  If you're on a surface ship those will be your primary functions.  If you go submarines, then being a mechanic will be your primary function and ELT is more of a collateral duty.
« Last Edit: Apr 19, 2015, 08:50 by ghaleonx39 »

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #5 on: Apr 20, 2015, 01:43 »
As a former TC (until retiring last year), here's the paperwork routing process for ELT/JSI (hopefully in order): Staff advisor, Section LPO, Section LELT (for MMs), LCC, SE, NPE-T, then a bunch of guys outside of section. Do you know whose opinion the out of section guys typically cared most about for ELTs? Yup, the SLELT. If the SLELT said yes (and mine also included naming his top 3 picks) with decent reasoning, you can pretty much bet they got selected. If the SLELT said no, almost no chance they got selected (unless we had more slots then recommendations, then we got stuck with whoever).

Moral of the story: If you're an MM and want to be an ELT, talk to the ELTs in your section at NPTU and show them you're not a POS.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #6 on: Apr 20, 2015, 08:52 »
As a former TC (until retiring last year), here's the paperwork routing process for ELT/JSI (hopefully in order): Staff advisor, Section LPO, Section LELT (for MMs), LCC, SE, NPE-T, then a bunch of guys outside of section. Do you know whose opinion the out of section guys typically cared most about for ELTs? Yup, the SLELT. If the SLELT said yes (and mine also included naming his top 3 picks) with decent reasoning, you can pretty much bet they got selected. If the SLELT said no, almost no chance they got selected (unless we had more slots then recommendations, then we got stuck with whoever).

Moral of the story: If you're an MM and want to be an ELT, talk to the ELTs in your section at NPTU and show them you're not a POS.

Helpful but a bit heavy on the acronyms for a neophyte.

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #7 on: Apr 20, 2015, 01:33 »

Translations (I assume you know what ELT, MM, NPTU, and POS are):

TC - Training Coordinator (Dude in charge of the enlisted students qualification for the section). JSI - Junior Staff Instructor (a.k.a. Staff Pick-Up). LPO - Leading Petty Officer (Dude in charge of the division). LELT - Leading ELT (LPO for ELTs, why not LPO? No clue, ELTs are weird.). LCC - Leading Crew Chief (Chief in charge of the military side of the section for all staff and students). SE - Shift Engineer (Officer in charge of the section). NPE-T - Nuclear Plant Engineer (Civilian dude in charge of) Training.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #8 on: Apr 20, 2015, 11:02 »
...........LELT - Leading ELT (LPO for ELTs, why not LPO? No clue, ELTs are weird.)........

WRONG!!!!

It's because being an ELT transcends being a petty officer,....

“For those who understand, no explanation is needed. For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible.”

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #9 on: Apr 21, 2015, 01:42 »
Fun fact: LPO in Big Navy speak refers to the division Chief, not the senior 1st class. LCPO refers to a department Chief. ELTs on subs don't usually have a Chief heading the division*, hence LELT.

*I'm not counting the boats that make ELTs work for M-Div.

Offline xobxdoc

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #10 on: Apr 21, 2015, 07:25 »
Hey everyone! I swore into America's Navy on January 22 this year. I don't ship until September 22. However, I'm seeking as much information as possible. One of my recruiters was a former ET and provided some great information. One thing that his information was limited to was the Engineering Lab Technicians. From what I understand, this is a very difficult job to obtain as a nuke. Does anyone have any more information about it? The way that my recruiter explained it, these guys were on the chemistry side of the reactors and did things like checking pH levels, oxygen levels, etc.

Are there any former or current Engineering Lab Technicians out there who could possibly provide some more information? While I will gladly and proudly accept being an ET, EM, or MM, this role is where a majority of my interests lie. Thank you in advance!
Here's a little perspective for you. The guy in the club with the hottest girlfiend is an ELT.
Chuck Norris was qualified ELT. That's a no shi**er. Look it up.

bigdog46

« Reply #11 on: Apr 21, 2015, 10:15 »
Not sure about the accuracy of the qualified ELT for Chuck Norris, however the comment about the hottest girl in the club is 100% SPOT ON.  ELTs are Hot Babe Magnets.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #12 on: Apr 21, 2015, 10:40 »
Not sure about the accuracy of the qualified ELT for Chuck Norris, however the comment about the hottest girl in the club is 100% SPOT ON.  ELTs are Hot Babe Magnets.

Only Chuck Norris could qualify as an ELT while serving as an Air Force security Officer  ;)

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #13 on: Apr 21, 2015, 11:02 »
Fun fact: LPO in Big Navy speak refers to the division Chief, not the senior 1st class. LCPO refers to a department Chief. ELTs on subs don't usually have a Chief heading the division*, hence LELT.

*I'm not counting the boats that make ELTs work for M-Div.

that would be true, many Chief Petty Officers prefer jobs simpler than herding cats, or leading ELTs, when they can get it,....

I'm just saying,....

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #14 on: Apr 21, 2015, 11:41 »
Translations (I assume you know what ELT, MM, NPTU, and POS are):

TC - Training Coordinator (Dude in charge of the enlisted students qualification for the section). JSI - Junior Staff Instructor (a.k.a. Staff Pick-Up). LPO - Leading Petty Officer (Dude in charge of the division). LELT - Leading ELT (LPO for ELTs, why not LPO? No clue, ELTs are weird.). LCC - Leading Crew Chief (Chief in charge of the military side of the section for all staff and students). SE - Shift Engineer (Officer in charge of the section). NPE-T - Nuclear Plant Engineer (Civilian dude in charge of) Training.

I was referring to Jayhawk Mom, though many of these are new to me since I was in.
« Last Edit: Apr 21, 2015, 11:55 by Marlin »

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #15 on: Apr 21, 2015, 03:05 »
I know this wasn't meant for you.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #16 on: Apr 21, 2015, 03:27 »
I know this wasn't meant for you.

Gotcha,  +K for being helpful.

sjb7061

« Reply #17 on: Apr 21, 2015, 03:35 »

It's part "needs of the navy" they sometimes don't pick ANY which happened when I was a student (just finished prototype), sometimes they pick a lot of them. If you are female and they are picking up ELT's you will get it plain and simple. As for males, they just pick who they like. So don't get your hopes up, but if you want it and they are picking up ELTs at that time, go for it.

HeavyD

« Reply #18 on: Apr 22, 2015, 07:31 »
If you are female and they are picking up ELT's you will get it plain and simple. As for males, they just pick who they like.

These two sentences are fraught with opinion.  I would advise exercising caution against these kinds of statements.  While there may be some merit to them, there is no way to actually provide quantitative proof.

As an ELT, I did routine water chemistry and radiochemistry analysis for both the secondary and primary sides of the plant.  Very simple stuff, guided by simple procedures.  Since my first ship was the ENTERPRISE, I also ended up doing more radcon in my 3 years there than most ELTs do in an entire 20 year career.  On top of that, we qualified the mechanic watchstations for "senior-in-rate" quals and took the MM advancement exams.

Everything is simple because it's a warship.  The role it plays in everyday life is "ordnance on station".  Blowing up $hit and killing the bad guys before they do the same to us or our allies.  So the less complex it is, the better it, and the sailors maintaining it, can withstand potential battle scenarios.

Again, thank you to your son for volunteering to serve and thank you for raising him.  Best of luck to him in his endeavors!

sjb7061

« Reply #19 on: Apr 22, 2015, 12:00 »
These two sentences are fraught with opinion.

To be fair that's basically what ELT's at MARF prototype in NY will tell you atleast. They pick whom they like to fill available spots. It's not like you have to have certain grades to get it.

bigdog46

« Reply #20 on: Apr 22, 2015, 03:10 »
If you want to be considered for selection as an ELT:

1. Determine if you really want to do the work.

2. If you really want to do the work then get in tight and run with the ELTs.

3. Don't go dink on initial quals at Prototype, stay just ahead of the curve, but don't be the first to qualify.

Worked for me in 1980,

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #21 on: Apr 22, 2015, 04:31 »
............... It's not like you have to have certain grades to get it.

it used to be so,...top 50% or better,...

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #22 on: Apr 22, 2015, 04:32 »
If you want to be considered for selection as an ELT:

1. Determine if you really want to do the work.

2. If you really want to do the work then get in tight and run with the ELTs.

3. Don't go dink on initial quals at Prototype, stay just ahead of the curve, but don't be the first to qualify.

Worked for me in 1980,

it's not 1980 anymore shipwreck,...

bigdog46

« Reply #23 on: Apr 22, 2015, 05:29 »
Maybe a more general statement was appropriate:

1. Identify the goal and determine if it truly is your goal

2. Surround yourself with people that have influence in helping you achieve your goal.

3. Make yourself visible but not overtly visible.

Worked for me in 2015

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #24 on: Apr 22, 2015, 05:46 »
3. Make yourself visible but not overtly visible.

I guess that disqualifies me.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?