Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Engineering Lab Technician - - Info?

Author Topic: Engineering Lab Technician - - Info?  (Read 27682 times)

bigdog46

Re: Engineering Lab Technician - - Info?
« Reply #25 on: Apr 22, 2015, 06:58 »
I'd have to say your visibility is not overt assuming your goal is to grow NukeWorker.  May not be visible enough.  Keep up the good work, and thanks NukeWorker.

holicisms

« Reply #26 on: Apr 25, 2015, 11:26 »
ELTs put in the most hours, are the most prone to getting masted, and have the least job satisfaction.

It has been a long running gag that ELTs don't do anything and have it the easiest of the 4 rates... it is entirely untrue.

HeavyD

« Reply #27 on: Apr 27, 2015, 11:13 »
are the most prone to getting masted

Not sure where this comes from or even if it is remotely true.

The 3 carriers I served on, each of the three rates was represented fairly evenly when it came to Captain's Mast.

And there are only three rates, since ELTs are MMs.  There are, however, four NEC groups.

Enjoy ;)

Offline Nuke Jayhawk Mom

• Light User
  • Living, loving, seeing, reading & doing.
« Reply #28 on: Apr 27, 2015, 07:12 »
My son graduates boot camp this Friday!!! woo hoo and hooyah!!!  <3

So, [OT] since my son was put into ET (even though his first choice was MM, second choice EM) is there any additional training he can request or may be assigned to or selected for etc?

Also, will he learn during Nuke school, all about the "quals" and stuff everyone refers to on here? And the "radcom" training or "radon" training stuff -- ? whatever... will he have to pursue requesting that on his own?   [dunce]

I learned all there was to know about Boot Camp, but now we are almost into the next big haul... I would like to learn as much as possible to give as much support as I can and to make it easier to hold a conversation with me lol. I guess I will continue to obsess on this forum site for that info haha.    [RTFM]

Oh, and lol regarding comment by xobxdoc and the ones that followed...hilarious.

Chuck Norris is amazing. He counted to infinity. Twice.  [tardis]
Mom to Nuke, Mom to Jayhawk, Wound/Ostomy Care RN at the VA Hospital

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #29 on: Apr 28, 2015, 12:06 »
ELTs put in the most hours...
Nope.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #30 on: Apr 28, 2015, 12:16 »

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

HeavyD

« Reply #31 on: Apr 28, 2015, 08:11 »
Nope.

Yeah, this was 100% true as well.  We, by far, didn't put in the most hours.

As the RL LCPO, I never sent an ELT to mast.  The Mess on the IKE believed in handling things as low in the chain-of-command as possible.  In fact, during my 15+ years of being a workcenter supervisor/LPO/LCPO I sent exactly 1 sailor to mast.

So, either things have gone completely south, or this is another example of anecdotal evidence :)

Online Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #32 on: Apr 28, 2015, 10:57 »
Not as ELTs,...

I think you need to use YMMV on this one. My experience was feast or famine. On my boats ELTs were members of M Div and ELT was a collateral duty. ELT on patrol was about as sleazy as you could get when on station. ELT during ops not so much with some of the sampling criteria and one boat that did not permit non-ELTs to sample the secondary for chem addition. In port we stood M-Div watches, had assigned PMs, field day, and fit in our sampling and surveys in between. Any primary plant maintenance that breached a system was typically done by an ELT. I dove lube oil sumps, pulled condenser manways and other unpleasant chores. I know this was not true for all boats and certainly not for Skimmers but...YMMV.

[navy sub]

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #33 on: Apr 28, 2015, 12:21 »

I think you need to use YMMV on this one. My experience was feast or famine. On my boats ELTs were members of M Div and ELT was a collateral duty. ELT on patrol was about as sleazy as you could get when on station. ELT during ops not so much with some of the sampling criteria and one boat that did not permit non-ELTs to sample the secondary for chem addition. In port we stood M-Div watches, had assigned PMs, field day, and fit in our sampling and surveys in between. Any primary plant maintenance that breached a system was typically done by an ELT. I dove lube oil sumps, pulled condenser manways and other unpleasant chores. I know this was not true for all boats and certainly not for Skimmers but...YMMV.

[navy sub]

that was almost my point,....

ELT underway was not sleazy, it was an exercise in time management skills, those with good skills made it look easy, those without always looked haggard,...

ELTs on boats where ELT is collateral with M Div can put in some very long hours,...

but it's not the ELT hours that are long, they are simply in addition too,...

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Online Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #34 on: Apr 28, 2015, 12:35 »
that was almost my point,....

ELT underway was not sleazy, it was an exercise in time management skills, those with good skills made it look easy, those without always looked haggard,...

ELTs on boats where ELT is collateral with M Div can put in some very long hours,...

but it's not the ELT hours that are long, they are simply in addition too,...

But it is dependent on assignment, command, and manning which is normally on the short side. Just saying it is not black and white.

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #35 on: Apr 29, 2015, 03:34 »
This is what NR does not want - ELTs being shady because they are more concerned with liberty or hitting the rack while tending to M-Div's maintenance than treating their jobs as a top priority.

That's not to say that ELTs never supported M-Div stuff, but by and large on ustafish the division was in charge of its own people and only worked on ELT stuff throughout the day. Many of the mechanics liked it that way as they didn't have a whole lot of confidence in ELT's ability to do maintenance that didn't require re-work.

Again, YMMV.

Offline Rerun

• Heavy User
« Reply #36 on: Apr 29, 2015, 03:46 »
Best mechanic on my boat. My ELTs were mechanics first. ELTs second and sleazy wasn't an option. Its a matter of leadership plain and simple.

Online Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #37 on: Apr 29, 2015, 06:04 »
This is what NR does not want - ELTs being shady because they are more concerned with liberty or hitting the rack while tending to M-Div's maintenance than treating their jobs as a top priority.

Liberty is a little tough on a north run when you are rigged for quiet and very little maintenance was done by anyone. It is sleazy from the standpoint of assigned watch station. Most people were limited in work allowed during this time and the duty ELT by virtue of only having to take required samples had the lightest load. I got hollered at for trying to do an add when a gas cylinder squeaked.
    I do get what you are saying but lack of work ethic is another topic. ;)

Many of the mechanics liked it that way as they didn't have a whole lot of confidence in ELT's ability to do maintenance that didn't require re-work.

YMMV with this as well, ELTs in my class were only considered if they also were being considered for staff pickup. I know that is not the case today but that too is a YMMV depending on the needs of the Navy. Last post I saw with current information said that they selected from a mix of standings so as not impact the pool of MMs going to the fleet.

Offline fiveeleven

• Heavy User
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2015, 09:00 »
 Many of the mechanics liked it that way as they didn't have a whole lot of confidence in ELT's ability to do maintenance that didn't require re-work.

About as confident as an ELT would be that a charging station mechanic could first identify and then rectify a wet layup steam generator heading into free caustic country due to the hydroxyl breakout at 180 degreeF of N2H4(Hydrazine for wannabes). Getting the "feel" for calculating a full volume S/G drain/refill with numbers in spec. on first sample is admittedly not as foreboding as a repack on a gate, but I also recall slogging out of the Cofferdam ORT and into a virtual sea of mechanics hoo-booing about how hot it was, and the ELTs saying don't worry shipmates we'll take the next one ourselves. And throw in the fact that RL div. was the only nuke B-Ball squad that could compete with the airdales - and there she be. As consistent as M-Divvers pulling routine turbidity's in the hotwell - the most outspoken antis are the ones that weren't. ELTs - A Few Good Men - side by side with Colonel Jessup on the wall - saving lives and RCP upper radial bearings. MM2/ELT USS Nimitz CVN-68 1980-1984. BOHICA
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 09:03 by fiveeleven »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2015, 04:10 »

About as confident as an ELT would be that a charging station mechanic could first identify and then rectify a wet layup steam generator heading into free caustic country due to the hydroxyl breakout at 180 degreeF of N2H4(Hydrazine for wannabes). Getting the "feel" for calculating a full volume S/G drain/refill with numbers in spec. on first sample is admittedly not as foreboding as a repack on a gate, but I also recall slogging out of the Cofferdam ORT and into a virtual sea of mechanics hoo-booing about how hot it was, and the ELTs saying don't worry shipmates we'll take the next one ourselves. And throw in the fact that RL div. was the only nuke B-Ball squad that could compete with the airdales - and there she be. As consistent as M-Divvers pulling routine turbidity's in the hotwell - the most outspoken antis are the ones that weren't. ELTs - A Few Good Men - side by side with Colonel Jessup on the wall - saving lives and RCP upper radial bearings. MM2/ELT USS Nimitz CVN-68 1980-1984. BOHICA

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2015, 03:13 »
My son graduates boot camp this Friday!!! woo hoo and hooyah!!!  <3

So, [OT] since my son was put into ET (even though his first choice was MM, second choice EM) is there any additional training he can request or may be assigned to or selected for etc?

Also, will he learn during Nuke school, all about the "quals" and stuff everyone refers to on here? And the "radcom" training or "radon" training stuff -- ? whatever... will he have to pursue requesting that on his own?   [dunce]

I learned all there was to know about Boot Camp, but now we are almost into the next big haul... I would like to learn as much as possible to give as much support as I can and to make it easier to hold a conversation with me lol. I guess I will continue to obsess on this forum site for that info haha.    [RTFM]

Oh, and lol regarding comment by xobxdoc and the ones that followed...hilarious.

Chuck Norris is amazing. He counted to infinity. Twice.  [tardis]

When he gets through the training pipeline, he might want to consider asking for ETMS (advanced maintenance, I can't remember the exact name right now), although I believe he will have to complete his 1st sea tour before he can go, and re-enlist to get it. Any other training he needs, he'll get at some point over the next couple years, with the possible exception of how to perform maintenance, which will be on his ship. He can also as for RCTQS (Radcon Tech - Advanced radiological control training) or QAI/QAS (Quality Assurance Inspector/Supervisor) if either of those interest him.

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2015, 04:06 »
Boats only need like 1-2 ETMS qualified guys. Also, 2nd tour ETs are usually already Chiefs.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?