Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Several questions about getting started

Author Topic: Several questions about getting started  (Read 3356 times)

Offline Davkul

• Lurker
Several questions about getting started
« on: Apr 16, 2015, 10:03 »
First some background: I'm a senior in college and am graduating this May with a B.S. in General Physics. I have been training at a TRIGA Mk. II research reactor on my college's campus since August last year. Three weeks ago I took the NRC RO license exam for our reactor and am currently waiting for my results but am I am pretty sure I passed. I have taken a few nuclear classes but will not be graduating with a nuke minor.

I've been told that with a RO license for a research reactor I should be able to get a job as a SRO right out of college at a power reactor, will I actually be able to do that?

What is the general timeline like from application for a job to first day?

If hired will most places pay relocation expenses?

Where is the best place to start applying?

Thanks for any help!

thenuttyneutron

Re: Several questions about getting started
« Reply #1 on: Apr 16, 2015, 11:38 »
Check out the ACAD 10-001.  I don't think your RO license would qualify you to go to a License Class for a SRO License at a Power Reactor.

Your best bet would be to try and become a Reactor Engineer at a site and then go to class.  The Physics degree is acceptable for reactor engineering according to previous job postings that I have seen.
« Last Edit: Apr 16, 2015, 11:42 by Nutty Neutron »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?