Reference, Questions and Help > Polls

Alpha/Beta Scalers/Ratemeters and Probes

<< < (2/2)

Mike_Koehler:
I've used the E-600/SHP-380A or AB  and discovered that the promise of using 1 instrument in relatively high contamination areas (>100K to  > 6 million dpm beta-gamma) is a farce due to cross-talk between channels.  We are currently using instruments that are older than I am so I don't know of anything that is substantially better unless you are in a "pristine environment " like a lab.

Good Luck

SloGlo:
alphaman... re: reporting of contamination; i am comfortable using either dpm or cpm, doesn't make a whole lot of difference.  personal professional preference is to report in cpm.  that way, anyone downstream can do the conversions to their hearts content, as long as the reports and/or surveys list the corresponding efficiencies, backgrounds, yadda, yadda, yadda.  the one thing to be aware of with alpha is to report whether you are using 2 pi or 4 pi when calculating efficiency.  outside of that, it don't reely matter what rate you report in.  one thing to watch with the gas probes.... after sourcing, it is unnecessary to inflate the mylar against the screen,  simply having the proper percentage fill in the chamber is sufficient.  elementary, i know, but a lot of techs feel they got to blow up that there balloon.  by doing that, they greatly increase the amount of punctures.... can you imagine?  

moke:
I enjoy the E-600 since I am able to manipulate parameters depending upon the days background and sources tests. Additionally, you are able to switch detectors in a snap.

If you are using strict protocol (characterization/final status surveys) and intend to use mandated scan methods for Alpha, then the E-600 is the desirable tool since you may program the exact counting time for fixed measurements that will maximize time expenditures. The L-2224-1 is limited in comparison to the E-600. It's nice to have an audible signal to warn when a counting time is complete too.

One problem with the E-600 is that you can't change the audible response frequency and especially mind boggling when using NaI(Tl) detection devices. Since it is important to rely on the audible response regarding detection, the L-2221 is superior when hunting for photons during field applications. It's nice to be able to adjust the audible response when conducting Gamma Walkover surveys since it will expedite the entire survey process and keep fustration to a minimum. This is extremely important when conducting final status environmental surface scan surveys.

A flexible audible adjustment feature will also increase your ability to identify the existense of elusive photons such as those inherrent with Plutonium and/or Americium. The E-600 is useless concerning this application.

As Rennhack mentioned, the L-2224-1 is a great tool. I enjoy its durability (meter casing) and reliability. The price is right too and the Ludlum Staff are great folks to work with.

If I had my way, I would have one of everything. Both intrument types have strengths and weaknesses yet they share one common headache; the fragile aluminized mylar window, photomultiplier tube, and the uncoordinated user. ::)

Have an awesome week and stay dry!

Moke

;D

radgal:
Being at a lab (lots of different isotopes) having different meters to look for different isotopes is great.  I use NE duel scintillator probe picks up Alpha and Beta, no good for gamma goes right through.  I use Lundlum ASP2E uR to 1000 mR range,  ASP1 for gamma in the cpm range and RO20 for big Beta dose and Gamma dose rates.  Use the E600 also very versitle (sp?) instrument.  I agree with Slo Glo they work better not blown up to bursting point.  At the lab if you got the cash they can create instruments to suit what you need.  Not too bad.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version