Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Grad School and NUPOC

Author Topic: Grad School and NUPOC  (Read 4058 times)

Offline Gandor

• Lurker
Grad School and NUPOC
« on: May 04, 2015, 10:36 »
I've been looking into the NUPOC program and it looks really interesting, especially being a power instructor. My question is can you be guaranteed that position or is it luck of the draw? Also, is it possible to attend grad school while being a power instructor, I'm finishing a Math/Physics degree and I want to go to grad school to pursue a Ph.D in physics but I also want to join the Navy, so is it possible to do both at the same time? If not can you go to grad school after the Navy, I know GRE scores expire after some time so I'm not sure how well that would work.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
Re: Grad School and NUPOC
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 05:42 »
If you apply for instructor only, you can be guaranteed that position if you pass the selection process.

I know of several direct input instructors that completed a masters degree while teaching at Nuclear Power School. 

And yes, of course you can go to graduate school after you leave the navy.  You can do whatever you want after the navy.

Cheers,

GC
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
Re: Grad School and NUPOC
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 06:33 »
Also, is it possible to attend grad school while being a power instructor, I'm finishing a Math/Physics degree and I want to go to grad school to pursue a Ph.D in physics but I also want to join the Navy, so is it possible to do both at the same time?
Your job as an instructor will basically be an 8-4 gig with a few hours extra unpaid OT every few days to answer any questions students may have on the material.  If you think that you can write a Physics dissertation outside of that and attend all the necessary labwork at night, then all the power to you.

If not can you go to grad school after the Navy, I know GRE scores expire after some time so I'm not sure how well that would work.
You can do whatever you want after the Navy. You will get the GI bill, so that would off-set $18,700 worth of tuition costs, plus you'd get E-5 BAH. As for whether your GRE scores expire, you'll have to research that with universities and the company that adminsters the exam.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?