Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu vendors, please post PAY RANGES in your ads honeypot

Author Topic: vendors, please post PAY RANGES in your ads  (Read 29518 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Re: vendors, please post PAY RANGES in your ads
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2015, 03:12 »
Salary getting there to survive, but no per diem and yet you must not live within 50 miles, what gives there?

The average household income there in 2012: $33,563 ($16.15/hr)  So.. 2.5x the local average.

Source: http://www.city-data.com/city/Kevil-Kentucky.html

Content1

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2015, 01:00 »
The average household income there in 2012: $33,563 ($16.15/hr)  So.. 2.5x the local average.

Source: http://www.city-data.com/city/Kevil-Kentucky.html

2013 POVERTY GUIDELINES FOR THE 48 CONTIGUOUS STATES
AND THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA

Persons in family/household

Poverty guideline

1 $11,490
2 15,510
3 19,530
4 23,550
5 27,570
6 31,590
7 35,610
8 39,630

If they, on the average, only make $33,536 per year (16.15/hr), and minimum wage in San Francisco is $12.50/hour, Seattle $15.00/ hour,  that is pretty depressing since it is only $10,000 above poverty for a family of 4.  During my 6 months unemployed I made over $14,275/year (PA) on unemployment alone.  What has happened to our industry?  I could not live on $33,536 a year.

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
  • I like being around smart people
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2015, 06:00 »
But you would be making $80,000 a year there plus possible overtime.
It's like you carry straw bales in your pocket.
Blessed is the man who can laugh at himself--he will never cease to be amused
Think twice and say nothing..Chiun
I'm as big a fool as anyone..And bigger than most.. Odd Thomas

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2015, 09:35 »
2013 POVERTY GUIDELINES FOR THE 48 CONTIGUOUS STATES
AND THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA

Persons in family/household

Poverty guideline

1 $11,490
2 15,510
3 19,530
4 23,550
5 27,570
6 31,590
7 35,610
8 39,630

If they, on the average, only make $33,536 per year (16.15/hr), and minimum wage in San Francisco is $12.50/hour, Seattle $15.00/ hour,  that is pretty depressing since it is only $10,000 above poverty for a family of 4.  During my 6 months unemployed I made over $14,275/year (PA) on unemployment alone.  What has happened to our industry?  I could not live on $33,536 a year.

You're quoting minimum wages from major cities on the west coast. Isn't the job posted for Paducah, KY? The minimum wage there is $7.25. https://www.google.com/search?q=minimum+wage+in+kentucky&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-US:IE-SearchBox&ie=&oe=&gws_rd=ssl

$40/hr is an excellent wage. $40/hr x 2080 = $83,200

For comparison sake:

It is above or close to the scale for UA Journeyman Steamfitters.
It is well above IBEW Journeymen Wiremen.
Average pay for Registered Nurses is $66,220 = $31.83/hr.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 11:56 by ksheed12 »

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2015, 10:59 »
  What has happened to our industry?  I could not live on $33,536 a year.

hour industry took a hit with the rest of the country during the grate recession. it continues to suffer from people working cheep.
sounds like yew have a massive tacks bill.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Content1

« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2015, 10:29 »
In Idaho they listed the $36/hour plus $132 per diem.  They are sure to fill their positions once the word is out.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2015, 11:29 »
In Idaho they listed the $36/hour plus $132 per diem.  They are sure to fill their positions once the word is out.

Yup.

Offline Glowing Green

• Light User
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2015, 05:49 »
Not sure what North Wind is doing different, but I spoke with 2 diff contractors and that $132/day is only for 30 days with receipts.  After that the per diem drops to $72.30/ day w/o receipts.  So that $132 seems deceptive.  People will always inquire, but the truth has to come out.

Offline Glowing Green

• Light User
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2015, 06:01 »
You're quoting minimum wages from major cities on the west coast. Isn't the job posted for Paducah, KY? The minimum wage there is $7.25. https://www.google.com/search?q=minimum+wage+in+kentucky&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-US:IE-SearchBox&ie=&oe=&gws_rd=ssl

$40/hr is an excellent wage. $40/hr x 2080 = $83,200

For comparison sake:

It is above or close to the scale for UA Journeyman Steamfitters.
It is well above IBEW Journeymen Wiremen.
Average pay for Registered Nurses is $66,220 = $31.83/hr.

I agree it is a good wage if you are in the business of uprooting your house or paying for 2 residences to do so.  Per diem is useful for a reason.  I would rather have the lower hourly pay with the perdiem...it's not cute when u are taking care of 2 residences and payings 30+ percent in taxes.  That's where the loss comes in!!

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2015, 06:43 »
wanting too work four lower wages two get per diem is counter productive to raising the pay rate fore yore work group. p.d. should bee in addition two the rate, the rate should knot be adjusted too allow fore diem.

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2015, 10:31 »
I agree it is a good wage if you are in the business of uprooting your house or paying for 2 residences to do so.  Per diem is useful for a reason.  I would rather have the lower hourly pay with the perdiem...it's not cute when u are taking care of 2 residences and payings 30+ percent in taxes.  That's where the loss comes in!!

The duration is listed as long term (I read >1yr), so odds are that per diem wouldn't apply. As we all know living expenses can be a tax deduction. Furthermore, if you figure $1000 per month for rent and utilities that works out to $6.58 per hour on 40 hour weeks. So your wage would be more like $33.42 per hour and not accounting for any overtime. Still a pretty darn good wage. [2cents]

Content1

« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2015, 12:29 »
The duration is listed as long term (I read >1yr), so odds are that per diem wouldn't apply. As we all know living expenses can be a tax deduction. Furthermore, if you figure $1000 per month for rent and utilities that works out to $6.58 per hour on 40 hour weeks. So your wage would be more like $33.42 per hour and not accounting for any overtime. Still a pretty darn good wage. [2cents]

That has been the problem with  Idaho, they  usually didn't pay per diem nor travel.  $40/hour and maintaining a separate household pushes you into higher tax brackets that you may reduce at tax time.  Lower wages with higher per diem where you don't have to keep receipts is the easiest way.  Having a high income with a lot of deductions may trigger an audit, not something anyone wants.  Let's all face then elephant in the room.  The money for the travel really hasn't changed in years and the economy may never warrant the former relative high wages.  With tons coming out colleges and  intern programs, there is no  incentive to raise wages.

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2015, 12:52 »
That has been the problem with  Idaho, they  usually didn't pay per diem nor travel.  $40/hour and maintaining a separate household pushes you into higher tax brackets that you may reduce at tax time.  Lower wages with higher per diem where you don't have to keep receipts is the easiest way.  Having a high income with a lot of deductions may trigger an audit, not something anyone wants.  Let's all face then elephant in the room.  The money for the travel really hasn't changed in years and the economy may never warrant the former relative high wages.  With tons coming out colleges and  intern programs, there is no  incentive to raise wages.
All very good points. Per diem at the actual GSA rate is very rare as well.

Content1

« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2015, 01:18 »
Not sure what North Wind is doing different, but I spoke with 2 diff contractors and that $132/day is only for 30 days with receipts.  After that the per diem drops to $72.30/ day w/o receipts.  So that $132 seems deceptive.  People will always inquire, but the truth has to come out.

Back in 04 when I went to Idaho they had the same deal.  Since it was per diem with receipts, you naturally went to the most expensive place, even above the per diem rate, and the hotel  lowered it to  the per diem max.  I had to find a place to rent before the gravy train ended.  I would have rather had slightly higher per diem and not play the games.

surf50

« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2015, 03:25 »
Per diem at the actual GSA rate is very rare as well.

DCPP pays GSA per diem rates, at least as of last outage. Don't know if anyone else does.

Offline Glowing Green

• Light User
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2015, 07:21 »

Once again I would rather have the non-taxable money.  Not sure how you figure $70,000 is good money when you are supporting 2 residences.  This job is long term and no one is paying relocation, so once again you are out of pocket to get there.  I been on the outage train for  about three years my last salaried job was $32.50 hr, I will say with the per diem, I do better working the outages and collecting my unemployment every year.  So I don't understand why there is an incentive for people to lose their per diem, not to mention if you work overtime, you place yourself in a higher tax bracket.  Even if you only received $100/day per diem for 7 days and worked 40 hrs a week I would rather have the $28hr+ per diem for a year, with the option to stay longer.  As the $700=$17.50hr on forty hours and guess what....IT'S NOT TAXED!! We can go back and forth about this all day but at the end of the day non-taxable money is more valuable than taxable money any day of the week.  When I get a job offering salary I deduct 30% off the top, because that's about what I have to live off.  Tax deductions happen at the end of the year.   I don't live once a year I live everyday!!  I'll continue to live by my math because it seems to work better for me!!!  By the way I came up with $28/hr because 30% of $40 is $12 that's about how much you are losing every hour in taxes, that you may or may not get back at the end of the year!! Even if it was just 20% you are still only bringing home $32/hr.

Chimera

« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2015, 06:10 »
The answer is simple: Don't apply for the job.  And, if approached, don't accept.  All the rest is just hand-waving and gum-flapping.

Offline Glowing Green

• Light User
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2015, 07:04 »
The answer is simple: Don't apply for the job.  And, if approached, don't accept.  All the rest is just hand-waving and gum-flapping.

I WON'T AND DON'T!!! However I am into have healthy discussions and debates, this information always tend to help others!!!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 07:05 by Glowing Green »

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2015, 12:50 »
Even if you only received $100/day per diem for 7 days and worked 40 hrs a week I would rather have the $28hr+ per diem for a year, with the option to stay longer.  As the $700=$17.50hr on forty hours and guess what....IT'S NOT TAXED!!  

This has gotten very far  [OT]

I'm not the tax expert, however, once you go over 12 months it is taxable back to the first day!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 01:32 by OldHP »
Humor is a wonderful way to prevent hardening of the attitudes! unknown
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2015, 02:53 »
Once again I would rather have the non-taxable money.  Not sure how you figure $70,000 is good money when you are supporting 2 residences.  This job is long term and no one is paying relocation, so once again you are out of pocket to get there.  I been on the outage train for  about three years my last salaried job was $32.50 hr, I will say with the per diem, I do better working the outages and collecting my unemployment every year.  So I don't understand why there is an incentive for people to lose their per diem, not to mention if you work overtime, you place yourself in a higher tax bracket.  Even if you only received $100/day per diem for 7 days and worked 40 hrs a week I would rather have the $28hr+ per diem for a year, with the option to stay longer.  As the $700=$17.50hr on forty hours and guess what....IT'S NOT TAXED!! We can go back and forth about this all day but at the end of the day non-taxable money is more valuable than taxable money any day of the week.  When I get a job offering salary I deduct 30% off the top, because that's about what I have to live off.  Tax deductions happen at the end of the year.   I don't live once a year I live everyday!!  I'll continue to live by my math because it seems to work better for me!!!  By the way I came up with $28/hr because 30% of $40 is $12 that's about how much you are losing every hour in taxes, that you may or may not get back at the end of the year!! Even if it was just 20% you are still only bringing home $32/hr.

OK

Offline scotoma

• Heavy User
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2017, 07:33 »
Remember that one day you will have to retire. Your social security benefit will be based on your TAXABLE social security wages for your highest 35 yrs. Don't short change yourself today. As a road worker, do you have a pension? My advice is to take the higher pay rate and the more projected hours of work, and put the maximum amount into your 401K. Of course, if you don't plan to live that long, ignore this advice. Die young, leave a good looking course and have a mountain of debt.

Offline scotoma

• Heavy User
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2017, 07:43 »
I'm sorry, off topic. Vendors don't post pay rates because they hire people to sit a desk and talk on the phone. they want you to call, so they can have somebody to talk to, somebody different, somebody exciting. And you can may get some good info, gossip, maybe some valuable  info that you never would have gotten by looking at a number on a page.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2017, 03:11 »
Remember that one day you will have to retire. Your social security benefit will be based on your TAXABLE social security wages for your highest 35 yrs. Don't short change yourself today. As a road worker, do you have a pension? My advice is to take the higher pay rate and the more projected hours of work, and put the maximum amount into your 401K. Of course, if you don't plan to live that long, ignore this advice. Die young, leave a good looking course and have a mountain of debt.

knot that there's any thing wrong with the advice hear, butt a rode tech with dee um can bank money inna roth i.r.a. too generate tacks free interest. at the end of the year, bee four 4/15, roll watt is kneaded for tax lowering and retirement purposes inn two a 401k. gits the best usage of yore money 

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2017, 03:14 »
I'm sorry, off topic. Vendors don't post pay rates because they hire people to sit a desk and talk on the phone. they want you to call, so they can have somebody to talk to, somebody different, somebody exciting. And you can may get some good info, gossip, maybe some valuable  info that you never would have gotten by looking at a number on a page.
dang! hear aye thought they didn't post rates be caws they wanted to pay the least wile billing the most. learn sum thing knew avery day!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?