Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Traveler guide for working outages

Author Topic: Traveler guide for working outages  (Read 7428 times)

Offline DocMil

• Very Lite User
Traveler guide for working outages
« on: May 12, 2015, 01:11 »
I'm a newbie HP whose interested in a life on the road, working outages or whatever is available.  Is there a "go to" guide that will help me get started with work (i.e.. the do's and don'ts of the traveling worker)?  It seems many members here have a "plethora" of experience so any help is greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 01:22 by DocMil »

Content1

Re: Traveler guide for working outages
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 06:00 »
Like the movie, "War games," the only smart move is not to play.  Wages are down, outages are short, and per diem is unchanged, and work is harder as less people are used to save money.  You asked for advice, that is mine.  :(

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
  • I like being around smart people
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 07:45 »
Here are a few links to get you started. As you can see this discussion has happened before.

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,10706.0.html
Tips for the traveling nukeworker.

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,16263.0.html
ten things every new senior should know. still some good tips for new jrs

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,25963.0.html
Getting in FAQs

Blessed is the man who can laugh at himself--he will never cease to be amused
Think twice and say nothing..Chiun
I'm as big a fool as anyone..And bigger than most.. Odd Thomas

Offline DocMil

• Very Lite User
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 01:53 »
Thank you for the help and advice. I Figured this question has been asked a dozen times. Stats for this industry look far more promising than many others. That's why I chose it as a focus of study post military.

Offline Old HP

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 04:22 »
Doc Mil,

Content was being very open as far as the info on Life on the Road.  It is not the best of times to "break into the industry" due to plant closings and a lot of interns with Associates degrees competing for most entry level jobs. Then add in that it can take 5 to 6 years to working 4 to 5  months a year just to meet the minimum requirement for Sr. Tech and a little better pay.

It is not impossible but it can be very challenging and very hard on relationships. Read some of the posts here on NukeWorker and if you decide to give it a try, I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors and maybe I'll see you down the road.

Old HP

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2015, 08:05 »
Like the movie, "War games," the only smart move is not to play.  Wages are down, outages are short, and per diem is unchanged, and work is harder as less people are used to save money.  You asked for advice, that is mine.  :(

Content1

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2015, 10:32 »
We are not tethered to oars, just to jobs sometimes where we can't leave and a relief is not available.  They have NOT resorted to using whips on HP's, at least not yet.  The hate thing is true at some jobs.  We can't up and quit or we lose unemployment.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2015, 05:43 »
thinking that if yew use unmitigated safety concerns as a reason for departure you're u.c. will vee safe.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline DocMil

• Very Lite User
« Reply #8 on: Jun 11, 2015, 12:19 »
Thanks for the honest replies.  I'm looking for work and I'll see where that takes me. I have no boundaries and willing to work anywhere.

Content1

« Reply #9 on: Jun 11, 2015, 01:17 »
Thanks for the honest replies.  I'm looking for work and I'll see where that takes me. I have no boundaries and willing to work anywhere.

Just keep common sense in your search.  LA just passed a minimum wage of $15/hr.  Some  deconners get less then that.  One flips burgers until they automate, another passes a security check and pulls $700 out of their pocket to get a job not secure until they pass all their training traveling 1000 miles from home, then get reimbursed for most of their money.   This business hasn't increased wages in 10 years, minimum wage is catching up or passing starting workers.  You are in a job to profit.

Offline loki

• Light User
« Reply #10 on: Jun 12, 2015, 07:27 »
As long as big blue rules the roost expect a continued patern of disrespect and deminishing returns. Cash any checks they issue immediately

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?