Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Navy Nuke program  

Author Topic: Navy Nuke program  (Read 20687 times)

Offline NukeYorker

• Very Lite User
Navy Nuke program
« on: May 16, 2015, 09:31 »
Hey guys I have been reading a ton of the post on nukeworker and had a few questions as a person new to all of this.

First I wanted to give a little bit of information on my background.

Currently I am a full-time college sophomore who is struggling paying for school. I am studying mechanical engineering technology but am attending a private school and having trouble financially. I am also working full time which keeps me from focusing 100% on my school work. I am still somehow barely managing a 3.5 gpa. My living situation is currently pretty non existent since i am moving from place to place every couple of weeks due to my mom getting an unexpected eviction recently. It's all hard to manage. I have been interested in the military since 6th grade and always saw it as something I wanted to pursue. A few weeks back I talked to a navy recruiter and learned about the nuclear program. I took the asvab a couple days back and scored a 92 AFQT score and a 247 NUC. I now have to take a NAPT because I qualify for the Nuclear Program for enlisted. Since I have 50 college credits I am joining the Navy as an E3. Forgot to mention the reason I can not afford living is because all my money goes to paying off school, transportation, and food. I am also currently $18,000 debt for student loans and i have not yet to get my associates degree.

So now to my questions:
1) Is the nuclear program a good route for me to go.
2) How is the transition from Nuclear School to actually Earning a nuclear engineering degree?
3) Should I dismiss going for a mechanical engineering degree and go for a nuclear engineering degree?
4) Besides STA-21 what other options do i have for earning my college degree and becoming an officer?
5) Is there any other options I have for a person who wishes to focus more on education and also needs a place to live.
6) What are the chances of me getting selected for STA-21?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 09:44 by NukeYorker »

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
Re: Navy Nuke program
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 09:47 »
1) Nobody here can answer this but you. Although if you have to ask, it gives the impression that you're unable to make decisions for yourself, so, no  :P. However, I'd recommend looking through the countless posts about the nuclear training program and life in the fleet, then decide. If you want to get your degree, stay in college.
2) Pretty much nonexistent. Thomas Edison State College and Excelsior both accept about 70-90 credits toward a Nuclear Engineering Technology degree (or whatever TESC calls it these days), ODU 30-50 credits for Mechanical Engineering Tech (Nuclear emphasis), most engineering degrees however, you're looking at 10-15, at best.
3) I recommend ME over NE. There are more applications for ME, so more potential jobs.
4) NROTC, STA-21 (if you're enlisted), OCS (if you have a degree). Google Navy Officer Programs, there's actually a OPNAV instruction that talks about all of them and probably websites, etc.
5) Scholarships, grants, student loans (maybe not your best choice, but still there).
6) I believe there's typically around 20% selection rate, but it's probably on the STA-21 website.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 10:08 »
.............A few weeks back I talked to a navy recruiter and learned about the nuclear program. I took the asvab a couple days back and scored a 92 AFQT score and a 247 NUC. I now have to take a NAPT because I qualify for the Nuclear Program for enlisted. Since I have 50 college credits I am joining the Navy as an E3...................

7) Stop talking to enlisted recruiters, anything they tell you CAN happen with finishing your degree (or earning a commisssion) as an enlisted sailor has about a 5% chance of ACTUALLY happening once you enlist,...

8 ) Start talking to an officer recruiter,...
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 10:09 by GLW »

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline NukeYorker

• Very Lite User
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2015, 10:45 »
I think it might be a little late for that. I have already signed a contract for Submarine Electronics Computer Field and have taken my oath. I was just looking for a way out of my tough situation. I do not regret my decision in enlisting but now I'm thinking i should of taken more thought into it. I signed my contract for SECF but i take the NAPT in 2 days and expect to switch into a nuclear contract. My main goal was to finish college and become an officer in the Navy. I did not wish to waste my mechanical engineering credits and was maybe planning on having two bachelors in mechanical and nuclear engineering. Does the navy have any programs that helps pay for loans already taken out before joining. And are there any officer programs that will allow me to stay in school with some form of tuition assistance? I looked into the NUPOC program but did not think i qualified. Am I am serious financial trouble. I don't have much time to consider my options.  :(
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 10:46 by NukeYorker »

Offline Rerun

• Heavy User
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2015, 10:58 »
Wait you signed a contract already then came here asking questions about the nuke program? Dude you are a soup sandwich

Offline NukeYorker

• Very Lite User
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2015, 11:06 »
Yeah sorry I just had a lot of confidence in the things my recruiters were telling me. I forgot that they're sells man. I did look up a lot of stuff on the program before signing up the contract but I just recently found this website the day after I signed. Less than a week after walking into my recruiters office I have already taken the Asvab, done my physical at meps, signed my contract, and taken my oath. I probably should not have rushed such a big decision in my life. It's just I wanted a way out of the life I was living. I know the navy can help me in many ways. I thought that maybe the navy would delay me getting my degree but i did not think it would be as difficult. 

Offline Rerun

• Heavy User
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2015, 11:09 »
You do realize the oath isn't binding at this point right ?

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2015, 11:19 »
I think it might be a little late for that. I have already signed a contract for Submarine Electronics Computer Field and have taken my oath. I was just looking for a way out of my tough situation. I do not regret my decision in enlisting but now I'm thinking i should of taken more thought into it. I signed my contract for SECF but i take the NAPT in 2 days and expect to switch into a nuclear contract.............

ONLY be an enlisted Navy nuke if operating a nuclear propulsion plant on a Navy warship is what you want to do,...

You can read through years and megabytes of threads on this website alone to gain a perspective on what being a Navy nuke is as it pertains to lifestyle, workload, liberty (or lack thereof), post Navy employment, Navy Nuclear Power School, T-track, fast track, no track, et al,....

BUT do not be a Navy nuke unless that is what you want to be, again,...unless that is what you really want to be,...

DO NOT be a Navy nuke for pro pay, sub pay, SRB, accelerated advancement et al,...

IF you do become a Navy nuke for pro pay, sub pay, SRB, accelerated advancement et al, THEN when things get really, really sucky keep in mind why you went for it and muscle it down, because if you love it there will be times when it is sucky and that just goes with the territory, if you only tolerate it for other goals there will be almost zero time it is not sucky,...really, really sucky, and it can become very onerous just to get out of the rack and do it all over again and again and again,...

really, really onerous,....

all that said,...do what you gotta do, then deal with it,...
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 12:00 by GLW »

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline NukeYorker

• Very Lite User
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2015, 11:28 »
My goal is to be an officer within the Navy taking up Nuclear Engineering or mechanical engineering. But i know i would need my degree for that. Considering me already signing a contract what are my current options?

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2015, 11:32 »
.....My main goal was to finish college and become an officer in the Navy. I did not wish to waste my mechanical engineering credits and was maybe planning on having two bachelors in mechanical and nuclear engineering. Does the navy have any programs that helps pay for loans already taken out before joining. And are there any officer programs that will allow me to stay in school with some form of tuition assistance? I looked into the NUPOC program but did not think i qualified. Am I am serious financial trouble. I don't have much time to consider my options.  :(

that's gonna be an officer recruiter for those answers,...

You do realize the oath isn't binding at this point right ?

if you wriggle out of your enlisted commitment the officer side may not wish to touch you later, there are lots of folks seeking opportunity just like you, they have their pick, and a documented welcher, legit or not, may not be the pick they wish to invest in,...

better to try and get an officer recruiter to pull rank on your enlisted option and squelch it or at least delay it while the officer recruiter figures out what to do with you if anything can be done,...

and better to get that ball rolling ASAP,....as in yesterday,....

Offline NukeYorker

• Very Lite User
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2015, 11:36 »
Okay where can i find an officer recruiter? Should I delay taking the NAPT on monday and signing another contract? I was set to take it monday morning at 9am. Recruiters are not available on weekends.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2015, 11:42 »
My goal is to be an officer within the Navy taking up Nuclear Engineering or mechanical engineering...........

that's a good goal, at this point you are not setting yourself up for much success with that,...

an officer can be unrestricted line,...

restricted line,....

LDO,....

NUPOC,...

STA 21,...

etc., etc.,....

a Navy Officer with Nuclear or Mechanical Engineering?

I do not believe the ME has to be a Nuclear Program Officer,...

so, there is an awful lot you seem not to know about the options to achieve your stated goal,...

perhaps you just need to choose between college and officer goals or getting your bills paid goals,...

I dunno, I'm not in your shoes, you can try to PM spekkio on these boards, spekkio is current with all the Navy Nuke Officer and non-nuke officer stuff and spekkio posts a good bit of good dope, you can search spekkio's posts and read through those, he may even respond to your PM quick enough to be of help,...

but across the vastness of the internet it seems you have little time to fish or cut bait,...

good luck,....
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 11:47 by GLW »

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2015, 11:56 »
Okay where can i find an officer recruiter?

at the top of this webpage you will see this:

NukeWorker Forum > Career Path > Navy Nuke (Moderator: Gamecock) > Navy Nuke program

left click on the > Navy Nuke portion of the thread address,...

on the next page you will see a Search button and dialogue window (upper right quadrant of page):

type "officer recruiter" (include the quotes marks) in the dialogue window and then left click on the Search button,...

the next page will then display lots of threads with info on officer recruiters, IIRC the way to find one is in there somewhere and also some of those posters will know how to locate or will have described how to locate an officer recruiter,...

good luck,...
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 11:59 by GLW »

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2015, 12:04 »
........Should I delay taking the NAPT on monday and signing another contract? I was set to take it monday morning at 9am. Recruiters are not available on weekends.

take the NAPT,...

signing another contract?!?!?!?

you do not have to sign another contract, you can take your time for that, assert your prerogative or knuckle under,...your choice,...
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 12:05 by GLW »

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2015, 01:54 »
"ONLY be an enlisted Navy nuke if operating a nuclear propulsion plant on a Navy warship is what you want to do,..."

how the he11 does any 18 year old know this???  really?

Offline NukeYorker

• Very Lite User
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2015, 02:20 »
Thanks for your input. I will take the NAPT test on monday and ask to see an officer recruiter while at MEPS. If one is available i will try to get some one on one time to explain my situation and concerns.

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2015, 08:39 »
On a side note, I just noticed you're working on a degree in mechanical engineering technology. That's not the same as mechanical engineering. Based on your comments you want an engineering degree, so you really should change your major to what you want.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2015, 12:27 »
"ONLY be an enlisted Navy nuke if operating a nuclear propulsion plant on a Navy warship is what you want to do,..."

how the he11 does any 18 year old know this???  really?

really????

18 year olds get credit cards,...

18 year olds can make babies,...

18 year olds can vote for POTUS,...

18 year olds pay taxes as full fledged adults,...

18 year olds can join the Marines and kill foreigners,...

18 year olds can be held civilly liable for any and all debts they may incur,...

18 year olds can work in nuke plants and acquire occupational exposure to radiation,...

18 year olds can work for the Peace Corps in places where Westerners are on the menu for dinner,...

perhaps you're too old to appreciate 18 year olds being good for anything more than consensual relations for old men with too much idle money,...

I think different,...

I also think they are old enough to drink alcohol and be accountable for getting it right,...

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2015, 12:37 »
So now to my questions:
1) Is the nuclear program a good route for me to go.
If your goal is to serve in the U.S. Navy and gain some useful skills to take with you to post Navy employment, all while spending 75% of your life for the next 6 years onboard a ship/submarine, then yes. You will also have to practically start over in regards to your higher education.

2) How is the transition from Nuclear School to actually Earning a nuclear engineering degree?
You apply to EAOS, then you go to the VA's website and apply to use the GI bill. The process is relatively painless. If you're talking about getting a nuclear engineering degree in the Navy, that is not going to happen without being accepted to STA-21.

FYI you shouldn't go for nuclear engineering because it's a niche field in an industry that is at best stagnant, unless you are really really hard up about it. You can work on components that go into operating a nuclear power plant from other engineering disciplines, plus you can work on other things, too.

3) Should I dismiss going for a mechanical engineering degree and go for a nuclear engineering degree?
No.  
4) Besides STA-21 what other options do i have for earning my college degree and becoming an officer?
If you join without a degree, your option is to get picked up for STA-21 out of prototype, or to finish your service, attend college as a civilian, and then reapply for OCS as prior service.

5) Is there any other options I have for a person who wishes to focus more on education and also needs a place to live.

Yes. Go to college and speak to the financial aid counselors. I find it hard to believe that you wouldn't be eligible for assistance if your mother is getting evicted from her apartments. Also, apply to work as an RA - that usually nets free or drastically reduced room and board for the year.

6) What are the chances of me getting selected for STA-21?
If you get a 4.0 in nuke school then pretty good. If you don't, then negligible. Just so you know, the only STA-21 option available to you is going to be submarine officer.

Other info:
-OP is ineligible for NUPOC because he's not enrolled in a bachelor's program.
-OP may have shot himself in the foot for commissioning since he would have to withdraw from DEP. An OR recruiter can give more specifics, but if the recruiting environment is healthy he may not be able to apply for a commissioning program if he withdraws his enlistment application.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 12:40 by spekkio »

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2015, 12:41 »
Thanks for your input. I will take the NAPT test on monday and ask to see an officer recruiter while at MEPS. If one is available i will try to get some one on one time to explain my situation and concerns.
There are no officer recruiters at MEPS. MEPS is your last stop before boot camp.

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2015, 12:42 »
how the he11 does any 18 year old know this??? 
He comes to sites like this one to get an honest picture of what the job entails, then he makes a decision if he wants to commit to it for 6 years.

It's not rocket science...just nuclear power.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2015, 03:09 »
50 quatloos against the newcomer

Offline NukeYorker

• Very Lite User
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2015, 12:04 »
I did talk to my financial aid advisors. They tell me even though my mother has had an eviction I am still a dependent and cannot receive any more financial aid. I am currently taking out max loans my school allows me to take out and paying $3,500 out of pocket each semester. Which would not be a huge problem if I had a stable living environment and did not have the stress of moving place to place on my mind. Also I am not 18 i am 20 years of age. My biggest issue is not knowing what i am getting into is not knowing if i will accomplish my main goals with the route i am currently going through.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2015, 12:08 »
.... Also I am not 18 i am 20 years of age......

20 year olds get credit cards,...

20 year olds can make babies,...

20 year olds can vote for POTUS,...

20 year olds pay taxes as full fledged adults,...

20 year olds can join the Marines and kill foreigners,...

20 year olds can be held civilly liable for any and all debts they may incur,...

20 year olds can work in nuke plants and acquire occupational exposure to radiation,...

20 year olds can work for the Peace Corps in places where Westerners are on the menu for dinner,...

perhaps the previous poster is too old to appreciate 20 year olds being good for anything more than consensual relations for old men with too much idle money,...

I think different,...

I also think they are old enough to drink alcohol and be accountable for getting it right,...

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2015, 03:59 »
I didn't say they COULDNT do it.  I'm talking about knowing you really want something when you are 18.  I guess I was referring to myself when I was 18.  I had no idea what I wanted to do and not much of an idea what navy nuclear was even though I thought I did.  I figured most 18 yo were the same but looks like some had it all figured out!  Kudos to those that did.  I'm sitting here with 3 ex-navy nukes who are all saying the same thing (we didn't have it figured out)...

Offline Rerun

• Heavy User
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2015, 10:03 »
Hell I know at 18 I didn't have anything figured out. Very fortunate I waited to join the Navy.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2015, 09:43 »
no one ever has it figured out,....

which has little to do with knowing what you want,...

there are posters hereabouts who may have thought they had it figured out at 35YO, and yet today they do not even work in nukes and wonder how they did not know better 10+ years ago,...

do not confuse hindsight with knowing what you want in the present,...

at any age,.................it's always time to fish or cut bait,....pick the one you want and live with it,...

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
  • I like being around smart people
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2015, 09:36 »
no one ever has it figured out,....

which has little to do with knowing what you want,...

there are posters hereabouts who may have thought they had it figured out at 35YO, and yet today they do not even work in nukes and wonder how they did not know better 10+ years ago,...

do not confuse hindsight with knowing what you want in the present,...

at any age,.................it's always time to fish or cut bait,....pick the one you want and live with it,...

I remember being in a group doing an exercise, "Picture yourself five years from now and look back to where you are now".
I burst out laughing because all i could say about myself was "What an idiot!" knowing I would have great hindsight to the mistakes I would make.
Blessed is the man who can laugh at himself--he will never cease to be amused
Think twice and say nothing..Chiun
I'm as big a fool as anyone..And bigger than most.. Odd Thomas

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2015, 03:10 »
I did talk to my financial aid advisors. They tell me even though my mother has had an eviction I am still a dependent and cannot receive any more financial aid. I am currently taking out max loans my school allows me to take out and paying $3,500 out of pocket each semester. Which would not be a huge problem if I had a stable living environment and did not have the stress of moving place to place on my mind. Also I am not 18 i am 20 years of age. My biggest issue is not knowing what i am getting into is not knowing if i will accomplish my main goals with the route i am currently going through.
Being a dependent ties your financial aid to your parents' income. If your mom is being evicted because she is unemployed, then that should net you some additional financial aid for college. It is a year lagged, though.

Take this as a life-lesson in being proactive: Had you started seeking out additional aid/scholarships/loans or part-time jobs to get a cheap apartment with 2-3 buddies as soon as your parents were running into financial trouble, you might have mitigated some of the uncertainty in your life that you are experiencing. The road would be bumpy, but you'd at least be able to finish your education.

There's really not a whole lot you can do to right the ship at this point if finishing your education is the goal. You have already decided to enlist in the Navy, so good luck, and you can revisit your education in 6 years.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 03:10 by spekkio »

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2015, 10:22 »
Just as an FYI, University of North Dakota has Mechanical Engineering (also electrical, chemical and maybe civil) programs available through distance education, so after you're through all your training, you can transfer your courses and continue on. Arizona State also has Electrical Engineering online. Both have ABET accreditation for their distance education engineering programs.

Offline NukeYorker

• Very Lite User
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2015, 03:03 »
My mother is not unemployed. She makes good money her priorities just aren't in the right place and we got evicted. I live in New york city which has one of the highest cost of living. I have a full time job as well as going to full time school. All my money goes to paying off school and transportation. And if i hit overtime i have a little extra for food.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?