Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Navy Nuke program  

Author Topic: Navy Nuke program  (Read 20685 times)

Offline Rerun

• Heavy User
Re: Navy Nuke program
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2015, 10:03 »
Hell I know at 18 I didn't have anything figured out. Very fortunate I waited to join the Navy.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2015, 09:43 »
no one ever has it figured out,....

which has little to do with knowing what you want,...

there are posters hereabouts who may have thought they had it figured out at 35YO, and yet today they do not even work in nukes and wonder how they did not know better 10+ years ago,...

do not confuse hindsight with knowing what you want in the present,...

at any age,.................it's always time to fish or cut bait,....pick the one you want and live with it,...

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
  • I like being around smart people
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2015, 09:36 »
no one ever has it figured out,....

which has little to do with knowing what you want,...

there are posters hereabouts who may have thought they had it figured out at 35YO, and yet today they do not even work in nukes and wonder how they did not know better 10+ years ago,...

do not confuse hindsight with knowing what you want in the present,...

at any age,.................it's always time to fish or cut bait,....pick the one you want and live with it,...

I remember being in a group doing an exercise, "Picture yourself five years from now and look back to where you are now".
I burst out laughing because all i could say about myself was "What an idiot!" knowing I would have great hindsight to the mistakes I would make.
Blessed is the man who can laugh at himself--he will never cease to be amused
Think twice and say nothing..Chiun
I'm as big a fool as anyone..And bigger than most.. Odd Thomas

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2015, 03:10 »
I did talk to my financial aid advisors. They tell me even though my mother has had an eviction I am still a dependent and cannot receive any more financial aid. I am currently taking out max loans my school allows me to take out and paying $3,500 out of pocket each semester. Which would not be a huge problem if I had a stable living environment and did not have the stress of moving place to place on my mind. Also I am not 18 i am 20 years of age. My biggest issue is not knowing what i am getting into is not knowing if i will accomplish my main goals with the route i am currently going through.
Being a dependent ties your financial aid to your parents' income. If your mom is being evicted because she is unemployed, then that should net you some additional financial aid for college. It is a year lagged, though.

Take this as a life-lesson in being proactive: Had you started seeking out additional aid/scholarships/loans or part-time jobs to get a cheap apartment with 2-3 buddies as soon as your parents were running into financial trouble, you might have mitigated some of the uncertainty in your life that you are experiencing. The road would be bumpy, but you'd at least be able to finish your education.

There's really not a whole lot you can do to right the ship at this point if finishing your education is the goal. You have already decided to enlist in the Navy, so good luck, and you can revisit your education in 6 years.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 03:10 by spekkio »

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2015, 10:22 »
Just as an FYI, University of North Dakota has Mechanical Engineering (also electrical, chemical and maybe civil) programs available through distance education, so after you're through all your training, you can transfer your courses and continue on. Arizona State also has Electrical Engineering online. Both have ABET accreditation for their distance education engineering programs.

Offline NukeYorker

• Very Lite User
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2015, 03:03 »
My mother is not unemployed. She makes good money her priorities just aren't in the right place and we got evicted. I live in New york city which has one of the highest cost of living. I have a full time job as well as going to full time school. All my money goes to paying off school and transportation. And if i hit overtime i have a little extra for food.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?