Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Changed?  

Author Topic: Changed?  (Read 12959 times)

Offline jjandrad

• Very Lite User
Changed?
« on: May 20, 2015, 02:55 »
Hi yall, I'm JJ and I'm wondering where the nuclear outage industry I use to know has went.

I'll give a little background information and then ask a few questions. 

Started in the industry in 2000 at Browns Ferry AL. I quickly began to  in the nuclear world and after staying there through the summer I decided to venture out after talking with some guys from all over the country.

The internet was much slower and less adequate at the time but I was able to stumble across roadwhore.com and by early October I was on a jet plane headed for S.O.N.G.S CA. I was working for a group called Framatome and was introduced to steam generator eddy current tube examinations, sludge lancing and Secondary Side Inspection. I worked at several different plants for both companies, such as; Comanche Peak TX, Palisades MI and Indian Point NY.

After a few outages I ended up doing some training for Westinghouse up in PA and Rochester during the summer. 

Back then I answered a post by a recruiter looking for Nuclear Technicians, already being badged at the Ferry helped a lot but after that I ended up with many contacts and work.

I ended up taking a permanent job with Tennessee Valley Authority and am currently a federal employee with them. I thought being home was best but I regret that decision sometimes. I've been with TVA since 2002, started out a gas and diesel mechanic. Once I made journeyman I rolled over to coal handling at Colbert. Four years ago I moved again to the plant side. I'm a journeyman Machinst.

I have made several searches for job postings but I have not seen anything that resembles the ones I answered that many years ago. Seems to only be permanent jobs at various plants. Is there no longer a "roadwhore.com" type of site where recruiters are looking for guys to come out and work?

I really miss the road and have been wanting to get back on her for a while now. TVA is slowly getting out of fossil and not the same company I hired in with.  I'm now divorced and kids are nearly grown and gone.

Any suggestions for a good site or contact source where I can start getting back into the industry?

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
Re: Changed?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 04:27 »
yet on a sight ware people come two get jobs and advice about work, employers, wages, etc n yew want too no were too go fore such info? reely?
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

nukewood

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 05:23 »
It aint looking good. I would be content with what you have. I don't see greener grass out here.

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
  • I like being around smart people
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 09:34 »
Any suggestions for a good site or contact source where I can start getting back into the industry?

I found a great one recently (16yrs ago) Check this site out: nukeworker.com
Blessed is the man who can laugh at himself--he will never cease to be amused
Think twice and say nothing..Chiun
I'm as big a fool as anyone..And bigger than most.. Odd Thomas

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 09:49 »

Maybe we need a Smart a$$ emoticon   

Nice shot though.  ;)

Offline jjandrad

• Very Lite User
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 02:35 »
yet on a sight ware people come two get jobs and advice about work, employers, wages, etc n yew want too no were too go fore such info? reely?

I searched the job listing here with no luck. I realize this site is mainly used by HP and Operators, just hoping someone might know another source in my line of work.

I can say now, the industry has definitely changed.

Offline jjandrad

• Very Lite User
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2015, 02:38 »
It aint looking good. I would be content with what you have. I don't see greener grass out here.

That is unfortunate.  I met and worked with so many great people back then. I hope the ones I met here don't represent what is out there now.

Thank you for the reply.

Offline jjandrad

• Very Lite User
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2015, 02:39 »

Really?!?!?! Great, thank you for the advice. I'll go check that one out. Thanks again.

Offline jjandrad

• Very Lite User
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2015, 02:43 »
Really?!?!?! Great, thank you for the advice. I'll go check that one out. Thanks again.

Well thanks for the tip, but I'm afraid they are mainly some smart a$$'s over there. One decent poster but other than that I can't speak for their intelligence or maturity. 

thank you though for the source.

JJ

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2015, 08:58 »
It's hard to get through a day without meeting, finding, or even being a smart a$$.

But hey, You came on to a website that specialized in nuclear jobs and asked "Any suggestions for a good site?"

Bad form. Expect smart a$$ answers.

It's also bad form for regular posters to the site who have been members a good 16 years or so to respond "Check out this other site over here, it's great!"

I hope you find what you are looking for. I'm sure many posters on this thread will try to help you any way they can.

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2015, 09:12 »

"POT?" <3
"KETTLE?" <3 <3
 [GH] [dowave]

Offline jjandrad

• Very Lite User
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2015, 08:47 »
It's hard to get through a day without meeting, finding, or even being a smart a$$.

Touche, I see one every morning in the mirror.

But hey, You came on to a website that specialized in nuclear jobs and asked "Any suggestions for a good site?"

Bad form. Expect smart a$$ answers.

I could see that if this was hookers&hoes.com. It would be bad form if I was asking yall where I could find some good fish hooks and garden hoes. But I'm looking for load hooks and a shovel,  not what yall are offering. Its close, in the same industry..........

It's also bad form for regular posters to the site who have been members a good 16 years or so to respond "Check out this other site over here, it's great!"

I've been a part of many forums.......

Protip: exclusionism will cause your forum to die a slow and agonizing death. You will end up with two or three conversations going in weeks, and other posts will be years old.

I hope you find what you are looking for. I'm sure many posters on this thread will try to help you any way they can.

Thank you.

Offline jjandrad

• Very Lite User
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2015, 08:49 »
"POT?" <3
"KETTLE?" <3 <3
 [GH] [dowave]

Alas, felt like one of those "when in Rome" moments.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 08:50 by jjandrad »

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2015, 09:15 »
I could see that if this was hookers&hoes.com. It would be bad form if I was asking yall where I could find some good fish hooks and garden hoes. But I'm looking for load hooks and a shovel,  not what yall are offering. Its close, in the same industry..........

I think you are missing the point this is a "Jobs" site permanant, temporary, and resume posting. Your own thread subject line"Changed?" is most appropriate, only in Neverland do little businesses not grow up and change.

You Can't Go Home Again Thomas Wolfe

Offline jjandrad

• Very Lite User
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2015, 01:34 »
I think you are missing the point this is a "Jobs" site permanant, temporary, and resume posting. Your own thread subject line"Changed?" is most appropriate, only in Neverland do little businesses not grow up and change.

You Can't Go Home Again Thomas Wolfe

I'm sorry if the connect is alluding me. I understand that this site mainly centers around HP and Operations jobs, unfortunately this is not what I'm looking for. Nukeworker.com seems to be at the forefront of the industry due to the fact that all nuclear outage work searches on google have this site listed among the top hits.

I had hoped that this would be the roadwhore.com of it's day but it seems the only job postings I can find anywhere are for permanent positions.

It seems these days society is gorged on information and starved for knowledge. In the old days we had a few telephone numbers that got us work, now a thousand searches lead us to a thousand more searches. 

I was merely hoping for a few names or contacts I could reach out to. I guess the industry really has changed, along with society.

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2015, 01:59 »
jjandrad,
PM sent.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2015, 04:35 »
I'm sorry if the connect is alluding eluding me.

I understand that this site mainly centers around HP and Operations jobs, unfortunately this is not what I'm looking for. Nukeworker.com seems to be at the forefront of the industry due to the fact that all nuclear outage work searches on google have this site listed among the top hits.

I had hoped that this would be the roadwhore.com of it's day but it seems the only job postings I can find anywhere are for permanent positions.

Perhaps the question should have been more about the nature of current staff augmentation. Outages are shorter more work is being done internally as a result there are fewer openings for outside help in almost all areas. These temporary jobs are posted here on Nukeworker.com but mid summer and mid winter are lulls in outage work as they are also peak demand.

It seems these days society is gorged on information and starved for knowledge. In the old days we had a few telephone numbers that got us work, now a thousand searches lead us to a thousand more searches. 

I was merely hoping for a few names or contacts I could reach out to. I guess the industry really has changed, along with society.

Hopfully PM's will give you what you need.

Change is inevitable, except from vending machines. -Unknown

Content1

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2015, 10:18 »
Maybe we need a Smart a$$ emoticon   

Nice shot though.  ;)
Do you have an icon for the dumb version of the same?  I need it to write about politicians I know.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2015, 11:30 »
Do you have an icon for the dumb version of the same?  I need it to write about politicians I know.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2015, 10:40 »

The first one fits existing emoticons best.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?