Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu DZ Atlantic
honeypot

Author Topic: DZ Atlantic  (Read 27721 times)

Offline ethanharm

• Very Lite User
DZ Atlantic
« on: May 26, 2015, 02:00 »
Has anyone heard of any DZ employees who were fired due to per diem working with DZ again? I was fired in 2009 for per diem and have since returned to nuclear and would like to work for DZ again. Thanks for any help.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Re: DZ Atlantic
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 02:10 »
fired due to per diem

Kind of vague.  Please give more details.  If not, I can give a vague "yes".

Content1

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 07:31 »
Has anyone heard of any DZ employees who were fired due to per diem working with DZ again? I was fired in 2009 for per diem and have since returned to nuclear and would like to work for DZ again. Thanks for any help.

I almost worked for DZ once until I read the contract that stated you lose per diem if: (Quote from a contract they wanted me to sign)
#3:  For per diem purposes no excused absences will be recognized . . (one day gone)
#4:  An employee may not miss more than 1 ½ hours for the day to be counted as a day worked. (Stuck in traffic, lose another day in late)
#5:  An employee must work all scheduled work days for a given week to be paid per diem for scheduled days off.  (You miss a day due to sickness, you lose scheduled days off on top of the day sick)

It is for this reason I'd never work for them.

Bartlett is not at all like this.  I could see how you could get into per diem trouble with them even if you properly document having a home residence you are paying for.

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 10:05 »
I almost worked for DZ once until I read the contract that stated you lose per diem if: (Quote from a contract they wanted me to sign)
#3:  For per diem purposes no excused absences will be recognized . . (one day gone)
#4:  An employee may not miss more than 1 ½ hours for the day to be counted as a day worked. (Stuck in traffic, lose another day in late)
#5:  An employee must work all scheduled work days for a given week to be paid per diem for scheduled days off.  (You miss a day due to sickness, you lose scheduled days off on top of the day sick)

It is for this reason I'd never work for them.

Bartlett is not at all like this.  I could see how you could get into per diem trouble with them even if you properly document having a home residence you are paying for.

Honestly, all of those requirements were probably in their contract with the utility. I have seen the same requirements at a couple different sites. I have also seen very stringent requirements for proof of permanent and temporary residency. The bottom line is that utilities are getting very tired of paying per diem so they are cracking down on those that are playing the per diem game. Which in turn is effecting valid per diem workers.

Per diem is nothing but a hassle for the contracting company. It requires extra documentation, too high may effect chances of securing the contract, too low may not be able to draw the workers you need, and it's all a pass through cost so they don't actually make any money on it.

As for the OP; I knew of a couple of people who were "ROF'd" around the 2009 period when per diem crackdown seemed to hit hard. They have worked for DZ since then. As was stated earlier, with the vagueness of your statement it is impossible to give you any sound advice if there even is any to give.

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
  • I like being around smart people
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 11:06 »
At Duke sites you only get Per Diem for the days you work. That affects DZ, Bartlett and all other vendors
Blessed is the man who can laugh at himself--he will never cease to be amused
Think twice and say nothing..Chiun
I'm as big a fool as anyone..And bigger than most.. Odd Thomas

Content1

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 01:59 »
At Duke sites you only get Per Diem for the days you work. That affects DZ, Bartlett and all other vendors

I was blessed then when I worked at Duke sites and never got sick.  If they  truly make you lose per diem on your  days off if you ever get sick, I probably would have never gone back.  No worker takes an assignment away from home to "milk it" by calling in sick just to get per diem.  Per diem pays for the room and food while away from home.  I am still away from home on a scheduled day and maintaining all the same costs.  If you avoid going to work to keep from spreading the sickness, it seems quite a penalty to lose day off per diem.  I would feel I am being nickeled and dimed and probably find another line of work at that point.

nukewood

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 03:00 »
Having just worked Brunswick , Duke, we had many absentees during a flu outbreak. Everyone I spoke with was paid full per diem. If one starts work at a Duke plant more than 30 days prior to an outage, they will only pay per diem for days work. Therefore , I choose not to participate any earlier than 30 days prior.

Content1

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 03:37 »
Having just worked Brunswick , Duke, we had many absentees during a flu outbreak. Everyone I spoke with was paid full per diem. If one starts work at a Duke plant more than 30 days prior to an outage, they will only pay per diem for days work. Therefore , I choose not to participate any earlier than 30 days prior.

If you  are away from your home and they only partially pay your per diem, they are showing they really don't want you there.

Chimera

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2015, 08:30 »
That would be a decision for each Tech to make based on their personal circumstances.  However, given how adamantly opposed to this idea your are, allow me reiterate: Don't take the job.

Content1

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2015, 11:35 »
That would be a decision for each Tech to make based on their personal circumstances.  However, given how adamantly opposed to this idea your are, allow me reiterate: Don't take the job.
Bartlett is better in this regard.  I am surprised anyone would put up with such treatment.  It sounds like how it was in the early 1900's when workers had no rights and were treated poorly.  A traveling worker should not so arbitrarily lose their per diem.

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2015, 01:02 »
Bartlett is better in this regard.  I am surprised anyone would put up with such treatment.  It sounds like how it was in the early 1900's when workers had no rights and were treated poorly.  A traveling worker should not so arbitrarily lose their per diem.

The reality is it's not theirs to lose. There is no requirement for contract companies to pay per diem at all. If you don't like the pd being offered (or not offered) no need to apply. The bottom line is the company, utility, plant will find personnel to fill the spots, the outage will happen, the work will get done, and the world will keep turning. Days of 7 days per diem for a questionable address, even if you call in/lay out are all but gone. Everyone is looking to trim costs, this is definitely one of them taking a hit. Is it fair? Maybe, maybe not. Is it a reality? Yep.

Content1

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2015, 03:34 »
The reality is it's not theirs to lose. There is no requirement for contract companies to pay per diem at all. If you don't like the pd being offered (or not offered) no need to apply. The bottom line is the company, utility, plant will find personnel to fill the spots, the outage will happen, the work will get done, and the world will keep turning. Days of 7 days per diem for a questionable address, even if you call in/lay out are all but gone. Everyone is looking to trim costs, this is definitely one of them taking a hit. Is it fair? Maybe, maybe not. Is it a reality? Yep.

Do you think there are people so desperate that they would work without per diem?  (except local <50 miles etc.).  You get what you pay for.  My gripe is not people who are so desperate they will work for little over the minimum wage ($15) West Coast, it is not getting per diem when you expected it or traps in the contract to rob you for slight infractions (1 1/2 hours late).  I think traveling workers go through enough spending their own money just to get there (Paid flat mileage doesn't pay for hotels or time spent traveling).  If the industry can't afford to pay people to maintain it during outages, maybe people should go into other lines of work.  I did not accept DZ contract when I read it.  Bartlett has never treated me that way, maybe they are a better contractor to work for? 

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2015, 04:41 »
Do you think there are people so desperate that they would work without per diem?  (except local <50 miles etc.).  You get what you pay for.

Not only do I think it but I know there are. I wouldn't call a Union Welder desperate, or insinuate that they are a less then desirable employee because they took a no per diem job. I know one that drove from Ohio to Washington to weld test with no promise of compensation at all unless he passed the test. Of course he did pass, he is very skilled and nuclear experienced. The job was no per diem. He kept all his receipts and turned them in at tax time. Apparently it is quite common. Also happens quite often on "hard dollar" jobs such as dirt burners and such.

My gripe is not people who are so desperate they will work for little over the minimum wage ($15) West Coast, it is not getting per diem when you expected it or traps in the contract to rob you for slight infractions (1 1/2 hours late).  I think traveling workers go through enough spending their own money just to get there (Paid flat mileage doesn't pay for hotels or time spent traveling).  If the industry can't afford to pay people to maintain it during outages, maybe people should go into other lines of work.

Misleading information from the contracting company is bad business. Unfortunately, I don't believe that will ever end.

I did not accept DZ contract when I read it.  Bartlett has never treated me that way, maybe they are a better contractor to work for?

Sounds like you made the choice that you considered to be in your best interest. Perhaps BHI is better in your opinion, I really don't have an opinion either way. I have heard stories similar to yours about just about every big contract company.

Content1

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2015, 02:56 »
Not only do I think it but I know there are. I wouldn't call a Union Welder desperate, or insinuate that they are a less then desirable employee because they took a no per diem job. I know one that drove from Ohio to Washington to weld test with no promise of compensation at all unless he passed the test. Of course he did pass, he is very skilled and nuclear experienced. The job was no per diem. He kept all his receipts and turned them in at tax time. Apparently it is quite common. Also happens quite often on "hard dollar" jobs such as dirt burners and such.

I hope the hourly made up for the lack of per diem.  Deducting at the end of the year only returns a percentage of the expenses, like 25% if you are in that tax bracket.  For example instead if $100/day per diem you pay out of pocket $80/day for food, lodging and gas.  Based on a 40 hour week, that is $8/hour.  After 6 weeks, you spent $80 x 7 days x 6 weeks= $3,360 out of pocket.  If you are in the 25% bracket, you deduct it all but only get 25% or $840 back in taxes.  You still lost $6/hour in wages.  If  your drive was 3 days each way, you also lost 6 days of labor.  By taking the job and you were entitled to 6 weeks of unemployment, you lose and additional $500 per week you could have got sitting on your rear.  Say if you earned $25/hour or $25 x 40 = $1000/week  Subtract 20% withholding, you take home $800/week.  Subtracting food gas of $560/week, your net is only $240/week.  You are effectively working for $240/wk /40 hours or only $6/hour.  Maybe you could split a room to lower the room cost to $40/day, for a net per week of $520/40 or netting $13/hour.  Sitting on your rear earned you 500/week or $12.50/hour.  The net net result is work and get $.50/hour more then sitting at home for $12.50/hour.  This is in the math, prove me wrong.  Working without per diem you might as well stay at home if you have the choice.

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2015, 05:39 »
if you have the choice.

You do

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2015, 09:16 »
I hope the hourly made up for the lack of per diem.  Deducting at the end of the year only returns a percentage of the expenses, like 25% if you are in that tax bracket.  For example instead if $100/day per diem you pay out of pocket $80/day for food, lodging and gas.  Based on a 40 hour week, that is $8/hour.  After 6 weeks, you spent $80 x 7 days x 6 weeks= $3,360 out of pocket.  If you are in the 25% bracket, you deduct it all but only get 25% or $840 back in taxes.  You still lost $6/hour in wages.  If  your drive was 3 days each way, you also lost 6 days of labor.  By taking the job and you were entitled to 6 weeks of unemployment, you lose and additional $500 per week you could have got sitting on your rear.  Say if you earned $25/hour or $25 x 40 = $1000/week  Subtract 20% withholding, you take home $800/week.  Subtracting food gas of $560/week, your net is only $240/week.  You are effectively working for $240/wk /40 hours or only $6/hour.  Maybe you could split a room to lower the room cost to $40/day, for a net per week of $520/40 or netting $13/hour.  Sitting on your rear earned you 500/week or $12.50/hour.  The net net result is work and get $.50/hour more then sitting at home for $12.50/hour.  This is in the math, prove me wrong.  Working without per diem you might as well stay at home if you have the choice.
I didn't bother to check your math, I have no reason to question it. I'm just telling you there are plenty of jobs out there that are being done without per diem, nuke and non-nuke.

It may not matter much to you, but welder wage at a nuke is never $25/hour. Last time I checked it was ~$40 with OT and DT. The scenario that I referenced in my post was not for 40 hour weeks, it was an outage. 6-8 weeks of 72 hours, working time helps make up for no or low per diem.

nukewood

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2015, 12:28 »
Content1
I wonder if maybe you have too much time to think  ?

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2015, 01:44 »
I think it's good that C1 does the math. We all need to figure out and do what is best for us and our families

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2015, 02:57 »
iffen yew correlate per diem and wage yins are cheating yourself on o.t. ware the diem is lacking. enny company witch correlates the to runs afowl of hour beloved i.r.s. who says to knot due that oar the company is liable to pay employee higher o.t. (p.d.rate X1.5) and the employee is liable four moor income tax. gizt sayin....
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Content1

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2015, 09:46 »
Content1

May times in my career I thought it was always wiser to work verses being unemployed.  I was so good at finding work that maybe I used 12 weeks a year of the 25 weeks of unemployment we can get.  Is this always Smart?  Not necessarily.  In my above example, I  had a choice of taking an away job with no per diem or staying home hoping to find one.  I had unemployment available for the 6 weeks.  If I could find a job with per diem, it would be worth it; otherwise, it is not worth making a net $.50/hour just to pretend I am making a living.  I would question the sanity of anyone who took the job in my above example.  You may counter, "Doesn't unemployment force you to take any  job?"  No.

Offline ethanharm

• Very Lite User
« Reply #20 on: Jun 03, 2015, 10:49 »
I was fired for being considered a local and getting per diem. Was told I could reapply after three years. DZ said in a nut shell that I've been black balled. I spoke to Dukes access control and they said in not flagged as a "not for rehire". I've since gotten back in nuclear with different contractors and I've heard that a few of the guys that were fired over the same issue were rehired by DZ. I had worked for DZ for 10 years and in the Duke system for eight years. Hope this cleared up any questions from my original question.

Content1

« Reply #21 on: Jun 03, 2015, 02:27 »
I was fired for being considered a local and getting per diem. Was told I could reapply after three years. DZ said in a nut shell that I've been black balled. I spoke to Dukes access control and they said in not flagged as a "not for rehire". I've since gotten back in nuclear with different contractors and I've heard that a few of the guys that were fired over the same issue were rehired by DZ. I had worked for DZ for 10 years and in the Duke system for eight years. Hope this cleared up any questions from my original question.

Just because you are black balled by DZ is not a reason to panic.  I would not work for them for the reasons stated in my posts.  I live on the West Coast so be a local was never a problem.  I always thought if you  simply give them your home address that is verified would be sufficient for them to figure out if you qualify for per diem.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #22 on: Jun 03, 2015, 07:15 »
  I always thought if you  simply give them your home address that is verified would be sufficient for them to figure out if you qualify for per diem.
dat's the weigh it's bin on my jobs wit them.

Content1

« Reply #23 on: Jun 03, 2015, 11:07 »
Content1
I notice Padukah is hiring for $40 w/o per diem.  Say if per diem would have been $100/day, that works out at 40 hours/week, that averages $17.50/hour tax free.  Compared to a per diem job you would make the same if you only made $22.50/hour.  That job only makes sense if you are a local.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #24 on: Jun 04, 2015, 01:12 »
I notice Padukah is hiring for $40 w/o per diem.  Say if per diem would have been $100/day, that works out at 40 hours/week, that averages $17.50/hour tax free.  Compared to a per diem job you would make the same if you only made $22.50/hour.  That job only makes sense if you are a local.

#FirstWorldProblems

That's right, I'm the first MF'er on NukeWorker in 15 years to use a hash tag.
« Last Edit: Jun 04, 2015, 01:13 by Rennhack »

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #25 on: Jun 04, 2015, 01:26 »

You say that like it something to be proud of.  ;D
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #26 on: Jun 04, 2015, 07:41 »
speaking of Paducah and pay...look how they are touting the "60$ an hour for overtime".  ooooooooohhh wow.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #27 on: Jun 04, 2015, 08:56 »
....that averages $17.50/hour tax free.....

that's kind of the problem,....

perception,....

per diem is not meant to be pay,...

stop portraying per diem as pay,...

everytime folks start mixing per diem with pay and then tag that "tax free" moniker on the end of it, the trend of that discussion draws misplaced perception attention to per diem,...

per diem is per diem is per diem,....it is not payroll,...

if a job posting does not offer per diem then it just does not offer per diem, the applicant will have to decide if they can support multiple households on the offered wage or if they cannot,...

my SOP is to never mix per diem with wage, to never portray or equivocate per diem as a "tax free" wage, and to accept the indulgence of being paid per diem without having to account for how each penny of that enumeration was expended while maintaining multiple households,...

http://www.gsa.gov/portal/content/104877

stop poking the big dog,....

the loud and prouds from ten years ago, boasting with twelve different ways of how they could snag Massachusetts unemployment while living their summers in Mississippi have been silenced,...

the big dog is watching,...

(sic),....

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
« Reply #28 on: Jun 04, 2015, 09:21 »
#FirstWorldProblems

Well, ROTFLMFAO.

On a serious note, I certainly hope this forum does not continue down the slippery slope you have started us on of talking in hash tags and texting acronyms. It's painful enough reading my teenage daughter's texts. :)

I always thought if you  simply give them your home address that is verified would be sufficient for them to figure out if you qualify for per diem.
dat's the weigh it's bin on my jobs wit them.

As I had stated in an early post, it depends on the contract with the utility. They will set the rules. I have been at a DZ site where you had to provide 2 forms of proof of your permanent residence (Mortgage, utility bill, DL) and proof of temporary residency such as a rent slip.

Content1

« Reply #29 on: Jun 04, 2015, 11:44 »
that's kind of the problem,....

perception,....

per diem is not meant to be pay,...

stop portraying per diem as pay,...

everytime folks start mixing per diem with pay and then tag that "tax free" moniker on the end of it, the trend of that discussion draws misplaced perception attention to per diem,...

per diem is per diem is per diem,....it is not payroll,...

if a job posting does not offer per diem then it just does not offer per diem, the applicant will have to decide if they can support multiple households on the offered wage or if they cannot,...

my SOP is to never mix per diem with wage, to never portray or equivocate per diem as a "tax free" wage, and to accept the indulgence of being paid per diem without having to account for how each penny of that enumeration was expended while maintaining multiple households,...

http://www.gsa.gov/portal/content/104877

stop poking the big dog,....

the loud and prouds from ten years ago, boasting with twelve different ways of how they could snag Massachusetts unemployment while living their summers in Mississippi have been silenced,...

the big dog is watching,...

(sic),....

I don't make the laws or designed rules of common sense.  If you qualify for per diem and a  job offers if, it is not cheating the government when you use it for its intended purpose.  If you are not a local and maintaining two households, these costs are real and payment of diem, like what they do for members of congress who wrote the laws, you get per diem.  It is a mental exercise to equate per diem on an hourly basis to compare how much you'd have to earn when you DON't get per diem as you still have the same costs associated with travel.  Sometime that cost make taking a job uneconomical (No per diem, no see 'em) even if the wage seems higher.  If a job is truly long term, then it should offer relocation costs as incentive for the job and requiring a move to the job.  If they advertise in Nukeworker and they still want the transient worker, they should expect push back from transient workers.

Content1

« Reply #30 on: Jun 04, 2015, 11:52 »
I did not see a mention of relocation reimbursement in the Paducah listing for what is moving and changing your residence, as if they want transient to apply but get  there on their own.  Moving is a very expensive proposition and their focus only of wage would only work for locals.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #31 on: Jun 04, 2015, 12:03 »
I did not see a mention of relocation reimbursement in the Paducah listing for what is moving and changing your residence, as if they want transient to apply but get  there on their own.  Moving is a very expensive proposition and their focus only of wage would only work for locals.

Especially if they read this thread!  [whistle]

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #32 on: Jun 04, 2015, 12:33 »
I don't make the laws......

Okay,...

... or designed rules of common sense.....

common sense has no rules, if it did, it would be "common rules", and we already have those, and many of those make no sense at all, common or otherwise,....

.........If you qualify for per diem and a  job offers if, it is not cheating the government when you use it for its intended purpose.  If you are not a local and maintaining two households, these costs are real......

good to see that you agree,...

.....like what they do for members of congress who wrote the laws....

an outside jab which is not germane to the travelling nukeworker's concerns with per diem,...

........It is a mental exercise to equate per diem on an hourly basis to compare how much you'd have to earn when you DON't get per diem as you still have the same costs associated with travel.........

granted, the point was presenting our push back from the perspective that without any multiple housing maintenance compensation, the travelling nukeworker would need to realize a higher wage to accept an out of area job, NOT that the travelling nukeworker views per diem as an equivalent "tax free" wage,...

wages are wages,...

per diem is per diem,...

if per diem is not on the table for discussion, then stick to wages,...

do not equivocate per diem AS wages,...

............Sometime that cost make taking a job uneconomical (No per diem, no see 'em) even if the wage seems higher.  If a job is truly long term, then it should offer relocation costs as incentive for the job and requiring a move to the job..........

those are routine offers and negotiations driven by markets,...

if you are not in a position to negotiate better for your skillset then that indicates someone else, somewhere else, is willing to work for what you will not or cannot work for,...

OR,...

the offeror cannot or will not compensate better for the desired skillset,...

those paradigms exist for all free market employment scenarios,...

.....If they advertise in Nukeworker and they still want the transient worker, they should expect push back from transient workers.

No, if they advertise in Nukeworker they agree to the price for placing the ad, pay it, and place their ad,...

expecting push back is not part of that transaction, push back is part of interacting with you,...

interacting with Tech A may be, "Sure boss!!!, I'll be there Monday!!!!", i.e., no push back whatsoever,...

queue the "We need a union!!!!" apologists,.... ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

almost forgot (sic),....4 beercourt,...
« Last Edit: Jun 04, 2015, 12:40 by GLW »

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #33 on: Jun 04, 2015, 08:49 »
speaking of Paducah and pay...look how they are touting the "60$ an hour for overtime".  ooooooooohhh wow.
n with yore equating p.d. with hourly pay, watt due yins think the tax bite should bee on the diem, because yew wood half to be thinking 25.75 of the 60 ought to be tax free.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #34 on: Jun 04, 2015, 09:16 »
I notice Padukah is hiring for $40 w/o per diem.  Say if per diem would have been $100/day, that works out at 40 hours/week, that averages $17.50/hour tax free.  Compared to a per diem job you would make the same if you only made $22.50/hour.  That job only makes sense if you are a local.
butt, yinz got interesting math. my calc works out two 12.5 per our (100/8) because most 40 jobs aye have associated with dew knot pay diem four the weak end. then again, the current p.d. rate fore Paducah is 124 a day and that steel does naught get you to 17.50.
« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2015, 09:16 by SloGlo »

Content1

« Reply #35 on: Jun 04, 2015, 09:41 »
butt, tinz got interesting math. my calc works out two 12.5 per our (100/8) because most 40 jobs aye have associated with dew knot pay diem four the weak end. then again, the current p.d. rate fore Paducah is 124 a day and that steel does naught get you to 17.50.

No per diem on the week end?  I guess you are either sitting at a freeway off ramp with a sign, "I work at a  nuclear site, please help me pay for a place to stay on the weekend," or you call up the Enterprise and ask Scotty to beam you home.

Offline Glowing Green

• Light User
« Reply #36 on: Jun 05, 2015, 07:34 »
I didn't bother to check your math, I have no reason to question it. I'm just telling you there are plenty of jobs out there that are being done without per diem, nuke and non-nuke.

It may not matter much to you, but welder wage at a nuke is never $25/hour. Last time I checked it was ~$40 with OT and DT. The scenario that I referenced in my post was not for 40 hour weeks, it was an outage. 6-8 weeks of 72 hours, working time helps make up for no or low per diem.

Sounds like an RP and a welder having a discussion about pay....LOL.  Two different worlds!!! I know as an traveling RP....No diem no see 'em!!!

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
« Reply #37 on: Jun 05, 2015, 09:36 »
Sounds like an RP and a welder having a discussion about pay....LOL.  Two different worlds!!! I know as an traveling RP....No diem no see 'em!!!

I'm not a welder, but I do work more with the craft labor side then the RP/HP side. The example I had given was specific to a previous job that a welder I know had worked. The point was working jobs without per diem happens more often then you think. Per diem for days worked happens also.

If a company is posting a job offer and specifies that there is no per diem then you can bet your donkey that it is a costumer requirement/request. The $40/hour job that has been referenced in this post is obviously intended for a local candidate. The fact that it is still available and has been renewed at least once is showing that they are having trouble filling it. I'm sure the "No diem, no see 'em" is effecting it.

Isn't it about time for this thread to circle back around to the original topic?
« Last Edit: Jun 05, 2015, 09:36 by ksheed12 »

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #38 on: Jun 05, 2015, 10:46 »

Isn't it about time for this thread to circle back around to the original topic?

getting there, pushing the +3 sigma (37.6),...

BZ's general observation on Internet forums/threads etal, By the 5th post in any thread it starts drifting off topic. By 12 to 15 it has nothing to do with the original topic and if it surives to 30 or so it magically gets back on topic. This applies almost everywhere.

Mike
« Last Edit: Jun 05, 2015, 11:00 by GLW »

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #39 on: Jun 09, 2015, 09:39 »
No per diem on the week end?  I guess you are either sitting at a freeway off ramp with a sign, "I work at a  nuclear site, please help me pay for a place to stay on the weekend," or you call up the Enterprise and ask Scotty to beam you home.
eye personally did the know diem weekend on a reactor d&D contract. oui got travel pay and mileage in and out each week with a 4 day x10 hr schedule, of witch the first fore and last for ours each weak were the travel time. that mileage times, say, 5 hours of interstate distance made a nice supplement two take my girl out on the weekend and I got home at a normle hour after work. plus getting up on monday a.m. at a regular time two go too work.
far better than dealing with scotty and his paw prints!
worked an udder d&D with no diem weekends, butt aye was local sew didn't  qualify. that contract was 5x10 and it was out of town craft dune the diem bogey. they wood roll onto the job monday a.m., get a room m-w nites and  role out thursday knight with 4 days diem and 55 hours of pay. herd they took there girls dancing to.
yins got it write, no diem no see 'um. duzzant mean yew can't bee seen when the diem is on the scene, now does it?

neither site was a d&z sight.
« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2015, 09:42 by SloGlo »

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #40 on: Jun 09, 2015, 10:00 »
just remembered, aye did a no diem weekend job fore an environmental gig about .... a long time ago. the company ate the holiday in four the weak and we got meal and incidentals per day. oar we could lose the room and get mileage home. front desk wood hold baggage over the weekend for $5 witch wood naturally guarantee yew got your room back. mileage was weigh moor than a couple days meal/incidental money, butt less than too days billing two the ofice.  win/win. 
« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2015, 10:03 by SloGlo »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?