Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Has the Holy Grail of clean energy been found?  

Author Topic: Has the Holy Grail of clean energy been found?  (Read 3451 times)

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Has the Holy Grail of clean energy been found?
« on: Jun 04, 2015, 09:51 »
CNBC:
British Columbia-based General Fusion are hoping that the technology and methods they are developing will herald a new era in nuclear fusion. They have developed what they describe as a "Magnetized Target Fusion system."

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102729780

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
Re: Has the Holy Grail of clean energy been found?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 04, 2015, 12:01 »
Problem is, the scientists keep looking int the wrong places. They promise the "power of the stars". Ok, well astronomy has shown that stars are surrounded by clouds of fullerenes https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fullerene#cite_note-16 by IR spectroscopy. That would be far too complex of a molecule to be formed as a by-product of the fusion, but perhaps a precursor formed during the early formation of the star, under high pressure and magnetic density (think Jupiter)

If we go that route, what would be the easiest source of carbon for fullerenes?

Coal dust of course ;)

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #2 on: Jun 04, 2015, 12:17 »
Problem is, the scientists keep looking int the wrong places. They promise the "power of the stars". Ok, well astronomy has shown that stars are surrounded by clouds of fullerenes https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fullerene#cite_note-16 by IR spectroscopy. That would be far too complex of a molecule to be formed as a by-product of the fusion, but perhaps a precursor formed during the early formation of the star, under high pressure and magnetic density (think Jupiter)

If we go that route, what would be the easiest source of carbon for fullerenes?

Coal dust of course ;)

They are actually found in abundance in lampblack. So we can go back to kerosene lamps for lighting our houses and really screw up our breathing air.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #3 on: Jun 04, 2015, 12:57 »
They are actually found in abundance in lampblack. So we can go back to kerosene lamps for lighting our houses and really screw up our breathing air.

not only can I interject MP into the thread, the MP title shares words and concept with the thread title,... :P ;) :) 8)

too cool,... :P ;) :) 8)

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #4 on: Jun 04, 2015, 01:26 »
CNBC:
http://www.cnbc.com/id/102729780

from the article:

For many, nuclear fusion is the Holy Grail of energy, offering the possibility of limitless clean energy through harnessing the very same chemical reaction that keeps our Sun burning.....

I really need to learn what this chemical reaction is,...

Or perhaps, someone needs to discover it, so I can then learn what it is,... ::) :-\ :P ;) :) 8)

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #5 on: Jun 04, 2015, 01:52 »
from the article:

For many, nuclear fusion is the Holy Grail of energy, offering the possibility of limitless clean energy through harnessing the very same chemical reaction that keeps our Sun burning.....

I really need to learn what this chemical reaction is,...

Or perhaps, someone needs to discover it, so I can then learn what it is,... ::) :-\ :P ;) :) 8)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?