Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu NUPOC Competitiveness and Post-Navy Employment Opportunities honeypot

Author Topic: NUPOC Competitiveness and Post-Navy Employment Opportunities  (Read 4872 times)

Offline Zacattack

• Lurker
Hello I've got two main questions,

I will be starting my senior year of a Mechanical Engineering BS at university this fall with a current GPA of 3.2. I'm wondering where this puts me in my chances of getting into the NUPOC program? I had no idea it was a competitive program before looking around online.

If I was to get into the program, I'm wondering if the work involved would be engineering based and viewed that way on a resume. What I mean is, the work isn't technical repair/maintaining of current machines? It would be real engineering work on nuclear reactors, not a glorified handyman who tightens nuts and bolts. And the time spent in the navy would be comparable spending the same amount of time in an Engineering firm as far as future employers are concerned. Looking around I'm seeing there's different levels of Nuclear jobs available in the Navy and I'm trying to verify this would be a real engineering one before looking into it further.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."

I will be starting my senior year of a Mechanical Engineering BS at university this fall with a current GPA of 3.2. I'm wondering where this puts me in my chances of getting into the NUPOC program? I had no idea it was a competitive program before looking around online.

If I was to get into the program, I'm wondering if the work involved would be engineering based and viewed that way on a resume. What I mean is, the work isn't technical repair/maintaining of current machines? It would be real engineering work on nuclear reactors, not a glorified handyman who tightens nuts and bolts. And the time spent in the navy would be comparable spending the same amount of time in an Engineering firm as far as future employers are concerned. Looking around I'm seeing there's different levels of Nuclear jobs available in the Navy and I'm trying to verify this would be a real engineering one before looking into it further.

Unless you are going to a top tier engineering school (MIT), with a 3.2 GPA, your chance is zero. 

Cheers,

GC
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired

1. Largely, yes

2. There is dignity in all work, those "glorified handymen" are volunteers who joined the Navy to serve their Nation, and most of them feel the pride of keeping that gear working to take that vessel in harm's way for missions in America's defense. Your post demonstrates a lack of understanding and respect for that symbiosis, and IMHO disqualifies you to be in their chain of command.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
I was a glorified handyman, now I run a nuclear power plant. Go figure.

Justin
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline Zacattack

• Lurker
There is dignity in all work, those "glorified handymen" are volunteers who joined the Navy to serve their Nation, and most of them feel the pride of keeping that gear working to take that vessel in harm's way for missions in America's defense. Your post demonstrates a lack of understanding and respect for that symbiosis, and IMHO disqualifies you to be in their chain of command.

Heh, sorry if it came across that way. I wasn't asking because of personal pride. More concerned with personal career opportunities afterwards. It's all well and good to spend 5+ years of my life serving my country. But to come out of those 5+ years without job experience in the field I want to pursue is another matter.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?