Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu "Cookie-cutter" enlistment contract?  

Author Topic: "Cookie-cutter" enlistment contract?  (Read 5754 times)

Offline Aare

• Lurker
"Cookie-cutter" enlistment contract?
« on: Jun 10, 2015, 01:02 »
Hello!

So, took my ASVAB, scored in the 99th percentile (280 NUC composite score), and was told I auto-qualified for the Navy's nuke program (working on a nuclear sub has been a dream of mine since I was about 12). However, the recruiter is not giving me a nuclear contract, but is requiring me to sign a "cookie cutter" enlistment contract (with a start date a year out) in order to get my nuclear packet processed. He assures me that I will be accepted into the nuclear program, and that when I do, it will trump the enlistment contract that he's giving me to sign now, but there is no guarantee in this contract for the job I am being promised. He is also telling me that he will get me out of my "cookie-cutter" contract should my nuclear application be rejected, but says he can't put this in writing (this would be after I have already sworn in). The whole situation just seems like red flag after red flag.

I guess what I'm asking is, did any Navy nukes here go through the same process? Should I be concerned about the contract that I am being told I have to sign first? Is this in fact the standard procedure, or am I setting myself up for the old horror story of "the recruiter promised me a job in this great field, but instead I'm shoveling sh*t in Louisiana." xD

Thanks in advance for your input! Just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing. :)
« Last Edit: Jun 10, 2015, 01:26 by Aare »

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
Re: "Cookie-cutter" enlistment contract?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 10, 2015, 02:38 »
Good on you for having a good b.s. detector. Ultimately, he is making promises to you that he can't keep based on what he *thinks* is going to happen.

Politely tell your recruiter that you will be happy to sign the enlistment paperwork after your nuclear packet is processed and approved.

Offline Rerun

• Heavy User
« Reply #2 on: Jun 10, 2015, 10:07 »
Agree with what spekkio said .

Offline Tylor

• Moderate User
« Reply #3 on: Jun 10, 2015, 11:36 »
You are wise to be skeptical. I went through the same process though, I signed a non-nuclear contract, and I got my nuke contract a few weeks later, which changed my ship out date. I see no reason why you'd be denied a nuclear contract, but don't accept a navy contract you wouldn't be okay with that being your final contract. Most of my peers have also had the same thing, having an initial contract (Usually SECF or AECF depending on if you volunteer for sub duty before you get your nuke contract) then switching to their nuke contract.
"There are no extraordinary men... just extraordinary circumstances that ordinary men are forced to deal with." -Admiral William Halsey

Offline Tylor

• Moderate User
« Reply #4 on: Jun 10, 2015, 11:39 »
It's probably good to mention that I've only recently finished the pipeline, while Spekkio and Rerun probably have much more experience than me. You can't go wrong with being cautious, and if you're patient and let them know it's something you want, and you won't do anything else, they should work for you and get your contract.
"There are no extraordinary men... just extraordinary circumstances that ordinary men are forced to deal with." -Admiral William Halsey

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #5 on: Jun 11, 2015, 01:40 »
You are wise to be skeptical. I went through the same process though, I signed a non-nuclear contract, and I got my nuke contract a few weeks later, which changed my ship out date. I see no reason why you'd be denied a nuclear contract, but don't accept a navy contract you wouldn't be okay with that being your final contract. Most of my peers have also had the same thing, having an initial contract (Usually SECF or AECF depending on if you volunteer for sub duty before you get your nuke contract) then switching to their nuke contract.
There's simply no reason for someone to take that risk. He's signing 4 years of his life away and if the Navy says something like "yea, you can't be a nuke because we found some really weird medical condition that disqualifies you from nuclear service," then now he is at the Navy's mercy.

Offline el batman

• Very Lite User
« Reply #6 on: Sep 05, 2015, 04:18 »
I know this is really late to respond, and I hope that everything has worked out for you and you have your nuke contract already. I wanted to tell you that your recruiter is probably being lazy. I'm pretty sure that as a recruiter it is a big deal to recruit a nuke. As in it helps them look good. Don't sign anything that you don't understand. Make your recruiter earn his (or her, it's a new navy right?) paycheck. Just speaking as a semi-not-junior-but-not-yet-senior nuke.

Offline Aare

• Lurker
« Reply #7 on: Sep 23, 2015, 09:54 »
Thank you everyone for your input! I really appreciate it. :)
My recruiter and MEPS managed to get me my Nuclear contract without my having to sign a "cookie-cutter" contract. My ship-date is in March. :)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?