Career Path > Navy:Getting Out

How little is too little?

<< < (5/5)

MMM:
As much as I like the 50% disability I get for sleep apnea, I agree that it should be looked at and probably reduced.

OP: Like everyone has said, your chances are slim for a commercial plant, at least starting in ops, other departments might be easier and have better sleep schedules. You might want to look into another department or use what you can from your GI Bill and go to college for a couple years, then apply to an operator position.

Ssquid326:
Just a fun little now and then two years down the line.
I ended up kicking all of the bulls**t sleep therapy and medical stuff to the curb, and practically OD'd on Zzzquil on a weekend off to try and reset my internal clock or something. Long story short, it worked.

I came out of that slump a hot runner. Finished fish and other quals very quickly. Now I'm taking over as the boat's AQAO, after having qualified QAS. Closing in on the end of EWS. I've got just over four years in, and I'm glad it all worked out fine.

Thanks for all of that advice at the time guys. I know several of you are still active readers and posters on here.

To any other future readers who might find themselves in a similar scenario, try a half bottle of Zzzquil before letting Navy medical freak you out over nothing.

Marlin:

--- Quote from: Ssquid326 on Jun 20, 2017, 08:15 ---Just a fun little now and then two years down the line.
I ended up kicking all of the bulls**t sleep therapy and medical stuff to the curb, and practically OD'd on Zzzquil on a weekend off to try and reset my internal clock or something. Long story short, it worked.

I came out of that slump a hot runner. Finished fish and other quals very quickly. Now I'm taking over as the boat's AQAO, after having qualified QAS. Closing in on the end of EWS. I've got just over four years in, and I'm glad it all worked out fine.

Thanks for all of that advice at the time guys. I know several of you are still active readers and posters on here.

To any other future readers who might find themselves in a similar scenario, try a half bottle of Zzzquil before letting Navy medical freak you out over nothing.

--- End quote ---

Sleep apnea is more complex and serious than adjusting your circadian rhythm and is responsible for many deaths that have been diagnosed as heart failure. Many who are diagnosed main problem may just be snoring but severe cases result in a large drop in blood oxygen. Normal blood oxygen is 95% mine was 75% when first diagnosed and of the six stages of sleep I did not get below the third due to the number of times that I "woke"during the test. Reggie White of the Green Bay packers is believed to have died from Sleep apnea and it was just announced that Carrie Fisher died in part due to complications from sleep apnea.
   Make sure you know what the real medical issue is before you treat yourself. Someone taking your advice could kill themselves.

MrHazmat:
Yea, I quit breathing 59 times in an hour !!!! Don't remember my O2 level but the Dr said I was on the verge of having a heart attack.

Marlin:

--- Quote from: MrHazmat on Jun 22, 2017, 06:44 ---Yea, I quit breathing 59 times in an hour !!!! Don't remember my O2 level but the Dr said I was on the verge of having a heart attack.

--- End quote ---

5 or less is normal anything over 30 apneas per hour is considered severe, mine was 89 the graph was a solid line. After talking with the doctor it is probably what my father died from; he was diagnosed with heart failure, sleep apnea was not a well known diagnosis at the time. Depression can be associated with it as well. Being in good health and physically active does not mean you do not have it. I was playing racquet ball a couple times of week, softball, bicycling, even a 150 mile weekend bicycle ride each year for charity. My indication was I could not get enough sleep and my wife was worried about the number of times I stopped breathing at night (10 seconds or more at times). BossLady is the one who heard about sleep apnea and made me go to the doctor.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version