Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Advice for recent Purdue Nuclear Engineering Graduate  

Author Topic: Advice for recent Purdue Nuclear Engineering Graduate  (Read 14853 times)

Offline PurdueNuke

• Lurker
What are your job search suggestions for a recent Bachelor's degree graduate from Purdue's Nuclear Engineering program with no work experience in the nuclear field?  Which career paths do you think are the most beneficial for those starting without nuclear experience?  After looking through multiple job listings, I'm not finding any without nuclear experience required.  Do such positions get posted or are they typically filled by recruiting organizations?

Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much for you time.

(Yes, the forum's related FAQ, and numerous posting on this thread have been reviewed.)

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
Re: Advice for recent Purdue Nuclear Engineering Graduate
« Reply #1 on: Jun 19, 2015, 09:02 »
No college job fairs, career counselors or anything, after 4 years?  What kind of a diploma mill are they running there?  [sherlock]

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #2 on: Jun 20, 2015, 12:43 »
No 'summer' internship?  Not the Purdue I remember!   O:)
Humor is a wonderful way to prevent hardening of the attitudes! unknown
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

Offline ddickey

• Moderate User
« Reply #3 on: Jun 20, 2015, 10:50 »
I work with a recent Purdue Nuclear Engineer graduate. We are Apprentice NLO's.

Offline Mounder

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #4 on: Jun 20, 2015, 11:55 »
NDA is always hot field, but getting a job as a criticality analyst will pay the most.  Find the companies that specialize in these areas and look at their job pages or just search via Indeed.com.

Offline Mounder

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #5 on: Jun 21, 2015, 10:30 »
The guy is getting a nuclear engineering degree from Purdue and is not a nuke navy vet and you want him to be a Non-Licensed Nuclear Plant Operator (NLO)? brilliant    http://www.nei.org/Careers-Education/Careers-in-the-Nuclear-Industry/Help-for-Your-Job-Search/Sample-Job-Descriptions-and-Salaries/Non-Licensed-Operator

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #6 on: Jun 21, 2015, 02:57 »
So what are you suggesting then? NLO is currently the only ops position available, since he lacks any type of supervisory experience, which is required for RO/SRO. There are other nuclear jobs available, but they might be tougher to get into without having done an internship.

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #7 on: Jun 21, 2015, 08:56 »
I was surprised by the number of engineering graduates we have in our NLO group, other than the fact that an NLO starts out making more than a newly hired engineer.  We even had an engineer use his degree to qualify to come into one of the maintenance shops, not just for the pay but also because he's a hands on person who likes to fix things. 
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #8 on: Jun 22, 2015, 08:17 »
So what are you suggesting then?.....

..... but also because he's a hands on person who likes to fix things. 

I construe what is being suggested may be that regardless of education there is much to be learned and experienced beginning with the hands on work, there is much with which that experience can enhance an individual's formal education as that individual progresses through a career, and perhaps, the arrogance and lack of respect towards a "working man's" contribution by the educated elite in this society is hardly exceeded by the arrogance and lack of respect towards common men exhibited by inbred, high born, Eurotrash,...

yup, that's what I construe,... [coffee]

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Laundry Man

• Heavy User
« Reply #9 on: Jun 22, 2015, 09:34 »
Just an observation over many years in the business.  Te way to the top of the heap is Operations.  Start at the bottom and work your way up.  Never saw many Site VPs or Plant Managers that didn't have a license at one time.
LM

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #10 on: Jun 22, 2015, 09:45 »
Just an observation over many years in the business.  Te way to the top of the heap is Operations.  Start at the bottom and work your way up.  Never saw many Site VPs or Plant Managers that didn't have a license at one time.
LM

and all that being said it may be the OP is asking about a career in the "nuclear field" and the forum coterie is focused on commercial nuclear power generation,...

so, until the OP returns and helps steer the conversation where the OP wants to go, the thread is stuck with comops centric Dilbertisms,...

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline PurdueNuke

• Lurker
« Reply #11 on: Jun 22, 2015, 02:15 »
Purdue a diploma mill?  Hardly.

Simply looking for advice from those currently working in the business in addition to those from academia as the two can be different.

First thought was to align along with the defense contractors, but realized that may have been due to the influence of campus.  As I've read more about Energy providers I'm leaning more that way, but really wanted to get advice from people who are in the field(s) themselves.

Not having experience is difficult and I would appreciate any suggestions you may have.  For example, is gaining experience via an outage worker the only way in?  Covering my own travel expenses as a recent grad make this a problem and yes, problems are to be over come.

Thanks for your responses, and any others that you direct my way.

Offline Rerun

• Heavy User
« Reply #12 on: Jun 22, 2015, 03:50 »
Sequoyah was less than 40% ex Navy Nuke and had a great ops department

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #13 on: Jun 22, 2015, 04:59 »
LM

My CNO never held a license. I was surprised to find that out.

Offline ddickey

• Moderate User
« Reply #14 on: Jun 22, 2015, 05:59 »
Purdue a diploma mill?  Hardly.

Simply looking for advice from those currently working in the business in addition to those from academia as the two can be different.

First thought was to align along with the defense contractors, but realized that may have been due to the influence of campus.  As I've read more about Energy providers I'm leaning more that way, but really wanted to get advice from people who are in the field(s) themselves.

Not having experience is difficult and I would appreciate any suggestions you may have.  For example, is gaining experience via an outage worker the only way in?  Covering my own travel expenses as a recent grad make this a problem and yes, problems are to be over come.

Thanks for your responses, and any others that you direct my way.
NLO is your way in.

Offline Mounder

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #15 on: Jun 27, 2015, 01:59 »
I steer recent grads towards DOE site positions rather than NRC commercial reactor work.  The person went to Purdue, may have roots in the area, and would be perfectly happy at Argonne National Lab. I would take an entry level position at LANL, ORNL, LLNL, INL, BNL, or ANL over commercial reactor work.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #16 on: Jun 27, 2015, 02:14 »
I steer recent grads towards DOE site positions rather than NRC commercial reactor work.  The person went to Purdue, may have roots in the area, and would be perfectly happy at Argonne National Lab. I would take an entry level position at LANL, ORNL, LLNL, INL, BNL, or ANL over commercial reactor work.

with DOE funding stagnant that entry level position could remain the only position for a long time,...

energy services companies have the most rapid career growth, albeit traveling, a lot of traveling, will be involved,...

that traveling can and often includes China, Taiwan, Switzerland, India, Eastern Europe, Africa, Japan, sometimes even Latin America,...

when you're young and unattached, it can be a pretty good gig,... [coffee]

ski2313

« Reply #17 on: Jun 27, 2015, 06:08 »
The guy is getting a nuclear engineering degree from Purdue and is not a nuke navy vet and you want him to be a Non-Licensed Nuclear Plant Operator (NLO)? brilliant   

Our NLO ranks are full of engineers, including nuclear engineers, and ex-Navy is not the rule around here (less than 50% come from the Navy). Also, I think the payscale you referenced in the link may be a little out of date ($145k last year with OT).

Offline Rerun

• Heavy User
« Reply #18 on: Jun 28, 2015, 12:39 »
There you go ^^

Offline Nukette

• Light User
« Reply #19 on: Jul 06, 2015, 07:40 »
Apply to Clinton Power station as an EO,  there is a job posting currently up on their website or Indeed.  They love the Purdue engineers for some reason ;)

Offline tr

• Moderate User
« Reply #20 on: Aug 24, 2015, 07:45 »
Some plants have great introductory programs for new graduate engineers where you focus on training and get rotated through the various plant departments for the first year or two.  Palo Verde's Legacy Engineer is one such program, although it's very selective.

Offline ddickey

• Moderate User
« Reply #21 on: Aug 25, 2015, 05:16 »
FYI Xcel Energy is hiring an Engineer I Nuclear.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?