Career Path > Navy:Getting Out

Question About Getting Denuked at Prototype?

<< < (2/4) > >>

GLW:
as an aside, my colleagues and I have paraphrased a maxim that serves any and all well,...

"Never let the boss know you are good at something you do not like doing."

HydroDave63:

--- Quote from: Punnett on Jul 10, 2015, 08:02 --- The prospect of rerating or going conventional seems really nice

--- End quote ---

How about the prospect of a bus ticket home, and no GI Bill due to less than 36 months active service? All of the branches are cutting costs and people all over the place.

http://movie-sounds.org/download#L3F1b3Rlcy9zdGFyOTcvWW91LXNpZ24tZm9ybS0xMjQwQS15b3UtZ3JhYi15b3VyLWdlYXIteW91LXRha2UtYS1zdHJvbGwtZG93bi1XYXNob3V0LUxhbmUhLm1wMw==

Tylor:

--- Quote ---Punnet's option is to succeed,..
--- End quote ---

I'm not talking "options" as in how to get out, I'm talking about if he's feeling overloaded, or has things going on at home that he's not disclosing in this forum post, there are people he can talk to. For extreme cases you can be put on reduced hours if you're feeling extreme stress. He could also need some one on one to evaluate what he may be doing wrong with study habits. We all want this guy to succeed.

That being said, if you're riding the curve, you're doing alright. I'm not sure if I can post about the status of the plants, but depending on where you are, these scheduled shutdowns could be stressing you out. Get book tight, do a technical upgrading board, and get reduced hours. Those are some of the options he has beyond just "succeed". Though I'm not sure if I was counseling my student and told him to "just succeed/qualify" that he would take a lot of value out of it..

GLW:

--- Quote from: Tylor on Jul 12, 2015, 03:36 ---I'm not talking "options" as in how to get out, I'm talking about if he's feeling overloaded, or has things going on at home that he's not disclosing in this forum post, there are people he can talk to. For extreme cases you can be put on reduced hours if you're feeling extreme stress. He could also need some one on one to evaluate what he may be doing wrong with study habits. We all want this guy to succeed.

That being said, if you're riding the curve, you're doing alright. I'm not sure if I can post about the status of the plants, but depending on where you are, these scheduled shutdowns could be stressing you out. Get book tight, do a technical upgrading board, and get reduced hours. Those are some of the options he has beyond just "succeed". Though I'm not sure if I was counseling my student and told him to "just succeed/qualify" that he would take a lot of value out of it..

--- End quote ---

yup, but that's your job,...

how he succeeds is the OP's job,...

you see the Navy has the luxury of owning all your time, and that's a lot of time to come up with as many fuzzy bunny tactics as it takes to "help" someone succeed,...

or not so fuzzy bunny,...

but there's a much bigger world out there where "fuzzy, bunny", "unicorns and rainbows" are platitudes,...

you can fill in the blanks, in that bigger world your success is what you make it,...

and if you don't make it, nobody cares,...

I sum it up this way,....

sure, you can be that "great guy!",...

the one everybody talks about as being so swell and so missed, too bad he/she just couldn't get his/her job down and be successful at it,...

'cause they were a great person and they are very missed,...

yup, I've heard that conversation a dozen times or more over the last few decades,...

I have never seen all those folks talking about the great guy take up a weekly donation fund out of their own pockets so the great guy could keep on providing for his family the same as he did when the great guy was working where he no longer works,...

so, "just succeed" is the essential truth of it,...

just succeeding allows a nukeworker to make posts like this:

--- Quote from: RDTroja on Jul 12, 2015, 12:19 ---Actually 'the wife' liked the Magnum and so did I (and based on the fact that they are not easy to find used, so do most of the original owners.) I am not the least bit worried about perceptions of it being a station wagon (it is.) They are very versatile and drive very well, not to mention getting out of their own way in a big hurry.

As for the Crossfire, I am also not worried about owning a Mercedes SLK with a Chrysler badge on it because it still behaves like a MB and I paid about 2/3 of the cost of the SLK. If I wanted to drive what the crowd is driving I would buy a Ford... but that is not very likely unless I get a lobotomy.

--- End quote ---

as opposed to posts like this:

--- Quote from: Wareaglesvf on Sep 04, 2004, 06:38 ---HELP! Trapped at NNPTC, I want out!

Hey,

Well I just got out of boot camp and I'm at NNPTC. While I was at boot camp I saw everybody else got to change their rate, except for the nukes. I was excited about this program, but then it hit me that no this isn't what I want. Well anyway my recruiter told me I could change my rate at boot camp, he didn't tell me that once a nuke always a nuke. But I chose to be an MM. So my idea was to finish A school and try and get as high of a GPA as possible and tell them that I don't want to be in the program anymore. I just want my MGIB benefits, do my 4 years as an MM in the fleet, and get a degree in Physical Therapy. As you can tell the career I want has nothing to do with nuclear propulsion. So could somebody please help me and tell me the route I need to go to accomplish this. I'm not a quitter, but it's just not for me. Thanks for the comments and I hope you guys can help.

--- End quote ---

Punnett:
I think success is relative. Some people want to shoot magnums and drive Benz's and some people want to use their time in the Navy simply as a stepping stone towards other things. I don't think I have the moral authority to judge who's right and who's wrong.

Clearly, society frowns upon the weak willed quitter but, if you force someone who's 5 feet tall play in the NBA and he wants to quit because he's miserable and constantly getting dumpstered on, it's kind of hard to blame the guy. I mean, maybe he can put forth super-human effort and work on his assists or dribbling skills to make up for his deficits, but that's not exactly realistic.

It's a hyperbolic metaphor, but all I'm trying to say is that it's also not realistic for me to work harder and keep on chugging along without being really stressed out and miserable and, to me, that's not worth it even if I can get through the pipeline and collect the fat bonuses. See, I thought 60 hour work weeks were rough--try 84. Holy crap. Meanwhile, my friends who failed out of NNPTC work ~40 hours a week.

I don't want to live to work. I want to work to live. Am I being unreasonable here?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version