Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu After tour of duty - Go for Masters Degree or a Job?

Author Topic: After tour of duty - Go for Masters Degree or a Job?  (Read 6010 times)

Franklin Pierce

I'm just curious for opinions now since this is all 5 years into the future so things will clearly change by then but just gauging the general mood of things.

With the Post 9/11 bill, as all of you know, going for a Masters degree wouldn't be terribly difficult. I do have debts I am helping my family with which will not be paid by then so I'll most likely need to get a side job to supplement the incoming BAH. My undergraduate degree is a BS in Electrical Engineering and if I were to get a masters I am not sure what field I'd be in specifically but as of right now I'd think it would be a communications field (Data transmission and receiving).

My questions a subtle not so subtle probe into how much money people typically make in their first job outside of the Navy Nuke (Going through NUPOC) program, just so I can  have some sort of long term idea of what I'd like to do once I get out.
« Last Edit: Jul 20, 2015, 10:04 by Franklin Pierce »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
Re: After tour of duty - Go for Masters Degree or a Job?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 20, 2015, 10:53 »
My undergraduate degree is a BS in Electrical Engineering and if I were to get a masters I am not sure what field I'd be in specifically but as of right now I'd think it would be a communications field (Data transmission and receiving).
 I can  have some sort of long term idea of what I'd like to do once I get out.

Go power systems. I know several EE's that used to be low voltage electricians (comms), that now make more money planting transmission towers like asparagus. [2cents]

Franklin Pierce

Re: After tour of duty - Go for Masters Degree or a Job?
« Reply #2 on: Jul 20, 2015, 11:52 »
Go power systems. I know several EE's that used to be low voltage electricians (comms), that now make more money planting transmission towers like asparagus. [2cents]

My friends had told me the same thing but I never really pursued it, I'll have to learn some power systems with my free time then. No harm in it after all.

Are you aware if Power school/Prototype school help in any way with Masters? In terms of credits or just the knowledge gained from it?

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?