Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu NUPOC Kidney Stone Dilemma

Author Topic: NUPOC Kidney Stone Dilemma  (Read 8632 times)

jeffcoleman1974

NUPOC Kidney Stone Dilemma
« on: Jul 31, 2015, 01:53 »
I'm currently a NUPOC applicant (picked subs) who has finished MEPS, the VIP tour and my phone tech interview and is scheduled for the August 18th DC interviews. However, a week ago I got hospitalized for the pain in my lower back on my left side. Got a CT scan but it didn't reveal any kidney stones or any new, forming ones, although, the urinalysis did reveal red blood cells in my urine. This all happened on a Wednesday and on that Friday was re-hospitalized for the same severe pain, and again no signs of kidney stones and no red blood cells in urine. So the folks at the hospital still don't really know what is happening. My question is would it be wiser to inform the recruiter since there is the large possibility it could have been a stone? If so, what are the options afterwards? Punishments if this reoccurs in training without informing? Just a terrible situation since I just want to be finished with this application process.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
Re: NUPOC Kidney Stone Dilemma
« Reply #1 on: Jul 31, 2015, 04:20 »
 In the Navy's nuclear power program we need people who are honest 100% of the time. If you can't be that person, then seek another line of work.   Your post makes  me question your integrity.

Cheers,

GC
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #2 on: Jul 31, 2015, 05:50 »
My question is would it be wiser to inform the recruiter since there is the large possibility it could have been a stone? If so, what are the options afterwards? Punishments if this reoccurs in training without informing? Just a terrible situation since I just want to be finished with this application process.
Why would you tell your recruiter you had a kidney stone if the doctor didn't diagnose you with kidney stones?

The harder but correct way: You should give your recruiter a heads up that you had to go to the hospital for pain. Stick to the facts and let the medical professionals give the diagnosis. MEPS will probably need your medical records and will want to do an independent evaluation.

To answer your question: If the military can prove that you entered service with a chronic disqualifying condition, they will administratively separate you.
« Last Edit: Jul 31, 2015, 05:52 by spekkio »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #3 on: Jul 31, 2015, 08:50 »
Just a terrible situation since I just want to be finished with this application process.

I'm quite confident that the process is now finished.

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #4 on: Aug 01, 2015, 01:07 »
In the Navy's nuclear power program we need people who are honest 100% of the time. If you can't be that person, then seek another line of work.   Your post makes  me question your integrity.

Cheers,

GC
you've clearly never observed a pfa.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #5 on: Aug 01, 2015, 01:32 »
you've clearly never observed a pfa.

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

yup, perhaps, but that pfa is just window dressing,...

it's Navy, but not so much nuke Navy,...

kinda like a haircut,...

edited due to long drawn out sea story stuff no one really cares about with no real added value,...sorry folks, I like my own typing too much at times,...

as to all that pfa et al stuff,...

the Navy does change,...

for instance here:

SECNAV discusses PFA Changes Coming in NAVADMIN Monday
By U.S. Navy – July 30, 2015
From Chief of Naval Personnel Public Affairs

http://navylive.dodlive.mil/2015/07/30/secnav-discusses-pfa-changes-coming-in-navadmin-monday/

.....“What we’re trying to move from is a physical fitness test twice a year, to a culture of fitness so that you’re fit all the time, fit to do you job—you’re a better Sailor....

see there?!?!?!

not long ago the Navy embraced peyote,...

and now the Navy is embracing ebonics,...

(seriously, you gotta read it, the USN fails on spelling & grammar at least thrice in a less than 200 word public announcement, frickin' sad),... :P

so,...to the OP,...

if you do not tell them and they learn of "it", the repercussions are almost always worse than if they hear it from you first,...

if this expectation of accountability to others is new to your life experience well then now you know, it may be a sad commentary on current culture in general, but you now know better,...

your move,...

the Navy changes, but you are still obligated to tell them everything that is going on with you,...

you are not required to tell them how to do their job,...

YMWV,... [coffee]
« Last Edit: Aug 01, 2015, 03:54 by GLW »

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #6 on: Aug 01, 2015, 03:24 »
I know that there is a large camp of people who think that physical standards are completely unimportant. I'm not one of them. I've seen first hand a sailor in an SCBA be unable to fit down a hatch. I've seen first hand sailors suck down bottles of air in 2/3 their rated time and having to scramble to find enough bottles to rotate guys in and out. The physical fitness standards in the Navy are not strenuous; they're simply a bare minimum that the Navy wants you to maintain.

BT

Let's also acknowledge that the nuclear Navy preaches integrity when operating a nuclear power plant. They don't care if you lied to a cop to try to get out of a traffic ticket or if you are confused as to whether to tell the recruiter about how a doctor can't figure out how to diagnose you. Heck, I just got epi-lasik and the MTF staff here (run by the Army) looks at me like I have two heads when I tell them "hey, don't you need to file a waiver for me so I can go back to sea?" I suppose I could have just not told them anything about it, but I am worried about being a year into my DH tour ready to go on deployment when a HM3 raises the question as to why I suddenly don't wear glasses as of 2 years ago during my annual PHA. All I was trying to point out is that the military medical system is not naval nuclear power. It's not useful or relevant to take the high and mighty "you don't belong in nuclear power" stance because he is confused as to how to proceed here.

Ultimately, it boils down to whether the docs believe OPs condition is acute or chronic. If it is acute, then treat it like any other acute illness. Would you tell the recruiter that you got a fever? No. If it's chronic then the military needs to know and they'll make a decision as to whether it is service disqualifying.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #7 on: Aug 01, 2015, 03:44 »
I know that there is a large camp of people who think that physical standards are completely unimportant. I'm not one of them. I've seen first hand a sailor in an SCBA be unable to fit down a hatch. I've seen first hand sailors suck down bottles of air in 2/3 their rated time and having to scramble to find enough bottles to rotate guys in and out. The physical fitness standards in the Navy are not strenuous; they're simply a bare minimum that the Navy wants you to maintain.....

yup, but that's just Navy, all Navy,...

it's not nuke Navy stuff,...

that's why my advice to the OP would be to tell them,...

what they do with it is not the OPs obligation to follow through on,...

I perceive it as coming down to:

"If your gut is telling you it's something they need to know then tell them, coming to an internet forum looking for a sea lawyer to justify the course of nondisclosure is an indicator of a bigger problem",....

that pushes it into the nuke Navy realm,...

a solvable problem, but still a problem,...
« Last Edit: Aug 01, 2015, 03:52 by GLW »

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #8 on: Aug 01, 2015, 09:00 »
Yea, but he's not a nuke yet, nor is he commissioned. He still has to go through the training pipeline where they will impress upon him the importance of integrity in operating naval nuclear propulsion plants.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #9 on: Aug 01, 2015, 09:03 »
Yea, but he's not a nuke yet, nor is he commissioned. He still has to go through the training pipeline where they will impress upon him the importance of integrity in operating naval nuclear propulsion plants.

okay, I surmise that contention has already been conceded,...

a solvable problem, but still a problem,...

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #10 on: Aug 01, 2015, 09:10 »
400 quatloos against the newcomer...

Offline Tylor

• Moderate User
« Reply #11 on: Aug 01, 2015, 09:49 »
I feel like most all information is already covered, if you have a chronic condition going in, then it's adsep. If you weren't diagnosed, you should be fine.

Only thing I have to add is that I know kidney stones will disqualify you from submarine service, but not from the surface. At least I know that's how it works for enlisted.

Best of luck!
"There are no extraordinary men... just extraordinary circumstances that ordinary men are forced to deal with." -Admiral William Halsey

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?