Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Employment Question

Author Topic: Employment Question  (Read 6873 times)

Lilwalden

Employment Question
« on: Jan 01, 2005, 10:38 »
I am a 24 year Navy nuclear machinist's mate (ELT) who will be retiring next summer 2005.  I have operational experience on two CVN's, experience on a new construction CVN, instructor duty, nuclear repair duty, and duty as an overall nuclear examiner with CVNs.  What are my realistic employment options?  Thanks.

delkinto

Re: Employment Question
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2005, 02:57 »
I'd say pretty good, providing you're willing to do anything to get your foot in the door (just don't tell the employer that).  It all depends what you want to do.  If you want to work for a utility, try applying for an auxiliary operator, equipment operator, non-licensed operator.  That's a foot in the door with the most opportunity, since most nuke plants hire a new class every year or so.  We at Palo Verde have an external posting out right now, go to www.apsc.com and see that.  I believe there are few posts on this board about it, and we're pretty much dying to get navy nukes in because the well is pretty dry for other candidates with experience.  Once you're in at a utility for several months and complete your quals, if it's not your cup of tea and you don't want to take the operations route long term, then apply for internal job postings as they come available.

As an ELT, in-house Chemistry/RP jobs are a little harder to come by, since their are usually contract RPs or Chemists lined up for those.  Again, operator jobs are more plentiful, but you can you can do the RP/HP thing for a while, get to see many different places as a contractor, but you may have had enough travel.  Contract outfits post for that kind of work on this site almost daily.  I've been a house mouse (utility employee) since I got out the Nav 20 years ago, so I'm not the best one to give advice on working contract RP, especially if you need to stay working.

If you like construction or maintenance, try outfits like Westinghouse, Bechtel, Framatome, et al. 

Happy New Year and good luck

mattrev

« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2005, 01:02 »
I am a 24 year Navy nuclear machinist's mate (ELT) who will be retiring next summer 2005.  I have operational experience on two CVN's, experience on a new construction CVN, instructor duty, nuclear repair duty, and duty as an overall nuclear examiner with CVNs.  What are my realistic employment options?  Thanks.

If you liked the teaching part, you could also look into being an instructor. Most utilities have their own training centers with staff instructors also. Up until a short time ago we were looking for a Chem instructor.
Ended up hiring someone with no nuclear experience.   ::)
« Last Edit: Jan 02, 2005, 01:06 by Gone Sailin' »

Offline trollarc

• Light User
« Reply #3 on: Jul 01, 2009, 11:44 »
I figured id post my own question and jack this really really old thread. I am getting out and applying for pretty much most jobs that i think may consider me at all. I am an ET with no EWS but 4 years as a RO. does this help my chances at all of getting work in OPs? Also does it make it so I should apply to the SRO classes if/when I see them posted? I know that I should apply for NLO and AO because I can learn those. I am certain I can be a SRO, However I am not certain that they want me without EWS and I am unsure how I will do without experience in the commercial world.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #4 on: Jul 01, 2009, 11:57 »
How do you suppose you are certain you can be an SRO?

Additionally, you can apply, but it is likely no one will hire you for SRO.

Justin

Offline trollarc

• Light User
« Reply #5 on: Jul 02, 2009, 12:14 »
What i mean is I am certain that I can do my best and learn and I enjoy learning I wasn't trying to downgrade the difficulty of the position. I mean that I believe that I posses the actual mental capability. Now I am absolutely positive I couldn't do it without a lot of work. Anyways I was trying to ask if I should be applying for SRO or if the people hiring will just throw my resume away at that point as there are enough people more qualified that its not even worth looking at my resume? I will be applying for NLO either way, and the more I think about it, the more I would prefer to start there anyways. Gets me a lot more expierience and doesn't hammer me with the most difficult job I can find.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #6 on: Jul 02, 2009, 12:19 »
Well like I said in another post, you can certainly try! You might get lucky, but only with one company that I can think of. A lot of companies still look away from instant SROs, much less 6 and out instant SROs. However, there is a 6 and out navy RO instant in my class, so it is possible. Just don't pin your hopes only to instant SRO, which it sounds like you are not anyway.

Take it from me, as an instant SRO in class now, you want to go the NLO route. If you want to be an SRO, you will be, trust me. Just go the preferred path. :)

Justin
« Last Edit: Jul 02, 2009, 12:20 by JustinHEMI »

BetaAnt

« Reply #7 on: Jul 10, 2009, 04:10 »
Try this link for Savannah River Site posting
https://www.scjoblink.org/ada/skillmatch/jobseeker_sm/jbs_gapanalysis_dsp.cfm?fromqs=true&joborder_id=323700&callingfile=mn_login_fnc.cfm&hash=F0746867F63615F24EED4485D9A4085E
or Google this description
Sr Health Physicist/Sr Health PR-SOP-2009-00032 #323700

Good luck

BA 8) 8) 8)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?