Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Trying to find a shoe in. honeypot

Author Topic: Trying to find a shoe in.  (Read 12920 times)

Offline DocMil

• Very Lite User
Trying to find a shoe in.
« on: Aug 16, 2015, 05:41 »
I recently graduated from a certificate program where I received my DOE Core card and rad worker II qualification. Since then, I've been looking for work but having a difficult time finding a place willing to hire a Jr. RCT. So, back to school I go with a new emphasis on engineering paid for via my GI Bill. Just wondering if anyone else having the same challenges? Seems like employers are all wanting Sr. RCT's. How can one become a Sr. if he/she can't get a break as a Jr.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Re: Trying to find a shoe in.
« Reply #1 on: Aug 16, 2015, 08:53 »
I recently graduated from a certificate program where I received my DOE Core card and rad worker II qualification. Since then, I've been looking for work but having a difficult time finding a place willing to hire a Jr. RCT. So, back to school I go with a new emphasis on engineering paid for via my GI Bill. Just wondering if anyone else having the same challenges? Seems like employers are all wanting Sr. RCT's. How can one become a Sr. if he/she can't get a break as a Jr.

I assume you are talking about INL, and that you have talked to Marcom, and all of the other companies staffing RCT's there.  I also assume you are calling them EVERY WEEK, and asking them for an update, and when you should call them again.  I know that's what I do when I'm looking for a job.

https://www.nukeworker.com/job/view.php?company_id=183

I know for a fact that Paducah is hiring Jr's in about a month. -- Probably only locals from THAT local community college, but you should check into there as well.

I also assume that you are Calling BHI Energy aka Bartlett 800-225-0385, the largest employer of Jr RCT's in the world and asking them for ANY job available.  Like the Jr jobs they posted recently.

There are Jr Jobs posted by QNS:
https://www.nukeworker.com/job/view.php?job_id=33527

=100]https://www.nukeworker.com/job/jobfind.php?action=search&jids[]=100

You can even take a decon job for up to 6 months to get some experience.

=117]https://www.nukeworker.com/job/jobfind.php?action=search&jids[]=117

Quote from: Grammarist.com
The conventional spelling of the noun meaning a sure winner is shoo-in, not shoe-in. The term uses the verb shoo, which means to urge something in a desired direction, usually by waving one's arms. http://grammarist.com/spelling/shoo-in/

Offline DocMil

• Very Lite User
« Reply #2 on: Aug 17, 2015, 12:54 »
Yes, I have tried these suggestions. Even completed an internship at INL and received several distinguished references. One of which called Marcella personally and recommended she consider my resume. But to no avail, employers are asking for Senior techs. I've also contacted Lethea at Bartlett on several occasions and she has told me the same. I have related that I'd even take a decon job but still nothing. In the mean time while I wait, I've decided to start school. I appreciate your help and I'll keep my eye out for Paducah. One of my classmates got hired by Bartlett and is working at SPRU, New York. So there is hope.

Content1

« Reply #3 on: Aug 17, 2015, 02:35 »
They like to hire experienced because of all the training costs, nothing personal.  Is this your "dream job?"  With a flood of people, and plants  shutting down permanently, there are a lot of trained people looking for work.  Have you carefully considered the career of a traveling  tech?  Pay has been stagnant for years, They tend to under hire the techs they actually need, causing the need to  work most  of those 12 hour days.  If you work for companies like DZ Atlantic, and you get sick you lose per diem for that day and on the day off.  I  decided not to take a job with them for that  reason.  This may  be a case to be careful what you wish for, your dream may come true with some unanticipated consequences.

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
  • I like being around smart people
« Reply #4 on: Aug 17, 2015, 08:33 »

Shoo-in, Shoe-in... He's just trying to get his foot in the door.
Blessed is the man who can laugh at himself--he will never cease to be amused
Think twice and say nothing..Chiun
I'm as big a fool as anyone..And bigger than most.. Odd Thomas

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #5 on: Aug 17, 2015, 08:55 »
They like to hire experienced because of all the training costs, nothing personal.  Is this your "dream job?"  With a flood of people, and plants  shutting down permanently, there are a lot of trained people looking for work.  Have you carefully considered the career of a traveling  tech?  Pay has been stagnant for years, They tend to under hire the techs they actually need, causing the need to  work most  of those 12 hour days.  If you work for companies like DZ Atlantic, and you get sick you lose per diem for that day and on the day off.  I  decided not to take a job with them for that  reason.  This may  be a case to be careful what you wish for, your dream may come true with some unanticipated consequences.

Always so positive...

Offline RFaunt

• Moderate User
« Reply #6 on: Aug 17, 2015, 09:36 »
Not sure if you're looking to travel or find a permanent position in a specific locale, but your veteran status (based on your mention of using the GI Bill) along with your certificate program and internship experience could make you an attractive candidate for a shipyard position. I know the DOE site in Piketon, OH (Portsmouth) was hiring recently as well. Just some ideas.

As a note of encouragement, don't let the lack of present opportunities discourage you for the long term. I left the Marines and went back to school in 2013 for a two year degree in the field. I pumped applications, tailored resumes, and site specific cover letters to locations all over the country with no response for months. When the calls did come, they came all at once. I received call backs from locations I had applied to 5-6 months prior and had written off, and I unexpectedly ended up with 5 employment offers. 2 were from the shipyards at Puget Sound and Pearl Harbor. Your veteran status does give you a leg up in some of those positions.

Just wanted to lend you some encouragement going forward from someone who was in the same position recently.
"If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Isaac Newton

Content1

« Reply #7 on: Aug 17, 2015, 11:36 »
Always so positive...

It took me a full year to get my first traveling tech position as junior hp.  This was back in 2002, even with being ex-navy.  When I later brought family members into the business, it took them 3 months to get a deconner.  6 months later each got junior hp jobs.  That is the unfair nature of the beast, I am sure my sponsoring them helped.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #8 on: Aug 17, 2015, 12:35 »
It took me a full year to get my first traveling tech position as junior hp.  This was back in 2002, even with being ex-navy.  When I later brought family members into the business, it took them 3 months to get a deconner.  6 months later each got junior hp jobs.  That is the unfair nature of the beast, I am sure my sponsoring them helped.

It took me 6 years to get my first Jr job.

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #9 on: Aug 17, 2015, 03:58 »
Yes, I have tried these suggestions. Even completed an internship at INL and received several distinguished references. One of which called Marcella personally and recommended she consider my resume. But to no avail, employers are asking for Senior techs. I've also contacted Lethea at Bartlett on several occasions and she has told me the same. I have related that I'd even take a decon job but still nothing. In the mean time while I wait, I've decided to start school. I appreciate your help and I'll keep my eye out for Paducah. One of my classmates got hired by Bartlett and is working at SPRU, New York. So there is hope.

Well I did notice that BHI posted a job opportunity for Decon Techs on that other website. Doesn't look like it was posted on Nukeworker. I can't tell you the details as I didn't do more then scan by it. Perhaps you should try widening your search?

On a side note: Spell check doesn't recognize "decon" or "Nukeworker"?

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #10 on: Aug 17, 2015, 09:17 »

https://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/sites/podcasts/files/styles/large/public/image/BCSW-Series1episode10_0.jpg?itok=KS5fGk5D[/img]

oh, shore... bring out the gramma.... an udder name fore unemployed english teacher, used in loo of librarian bye those wit masters degrees.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100726215034AAHLpGp

any buddy whose ever sold magazine subscriptions, encyclopedias, oar newspapers four a living will tell yins that a shoe in the door gets more than a shoo... excepting great pie, ala shoo fly whither ore knot ya get ice cream.   ;)
« Last Edit: Aug 17, 2015, 09:20 by SloGlo »
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline Radwraith

• Heavy User
  • How much am I getting for this?
« Reply #11 on: Aug 18, 2015, 02:27 »
Sandia National Labs  runs a jr. RCT program that is a "Temp to hire" program. The people there are good people and will really try to help you succeed. The pay starts out low but your military background should make a 'Q' clearance a little easier. (Depending on what clearance you held in the service.) Fair warning though: Charlie Guinn and George will do their very best to help you succeed but Sandia's training program is one of the toughest in the country! Be prepared to study hard!
Remember the seven P's: Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance!

Offline DocMil

• Very Lite User
« Reply #12 on: Aug 18, 2015, 11:12 »
Apparently I didn't know the difference between shoe in and shoo in. But I do now and no better place to learn it then here where I'm anon.

Thank you everyone for the feed back. And RFaunt, I applied with Puget Sound and Portsmouth. Still waiting to hear back. I would have applied with Pearl since I was stationed there but there's no openings last I checked. I have this sneaky suspicion I'll get calls back in the middle of fall semester.

Offline DocMil

• Very Lite User
« Reply #13 on: Aug 21, 2015, 02:49 »
Portsmouth turned me down.

Offline ddickey

• Moderate User
« Reply #14 on: Aug 21, 2015, 06:31 »
Maybe some of the folks here can critique your cover letter & resume.

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
« Reply #15 on: Aug 21, 2015, 09:21 »
Maybe some of the folks here can critique your cover letter & resume.

Start here for resume advice: https://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,34823.0.html

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #16 on: Aug 21, 2015, 10:44 »
Portsmouth turned me down.

If Portsmouth turned down an honourably discharged veteran you can take solace that it ain't you, they're just not hiring anybody for that position which you are qualified for,...

keep trying elsewhere,...

no ka 'oi is good, particularly for the single and unattached, or the married with the wherewithal to buy on Oahu,....

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #17 on: Aug 26, 2015, 12:26 »
Did you mean foot in the door? I think that more accurately describes your situation.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #18 on: Aug 26, 2015, 12:52 »
depending on the environment, cood bee a foot (bear, nekkid, etc), flip flop, sandle, shoe, boot, steal tow, oar mukluk.  :-\
« Last Edit: Aug 26, 2015, 12:53 by SloGlo »
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #19 on: Aug 31, 2015, 02:44 »
no ka 'oi is good, particularly for the single and unattached, or the married with the wherewithal to buy on Oahu,....

The "No Can Do" yard is interesting, just be sure to have your own backup generator at home, since electricity could be questionable in the near future...

http://www.platts.com/latest-news/electric-power/houston/hawaiian-electric-ponders-next-move-after-governor-21046243

Offline Mounder

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #20 on: Aug 31, 2015, 09:29 »
Just keep trolling the homepage job sections of Enercon, Narvarro, Hukari, Carl Services, Philotechnics, Portage, New World Environ, etc.
The small business contractors like this will take you on.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?