Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Trying to change careers
honeypot

Author Topic: Trying to change careers  (Read 4287 times)

Offline drewjn

• Lurker
Trying to change careers
« on: Aug 26, 2015, 08:12 »
I originally graduated with a B.S. in Biology with a Chemistry minor. Since graduating in 2010, I have mostly found myself in manufacturing positions as I could only find contract work in regards to research. Rather than going towards a graduates degree in a research, medical or education related field, I was hoping to get into nuclear engineering for a new degree, as well as a career change.

My original run through college was mired with personal issues that left me with a 2.7 gpa. Obviously, I can only blame myself for that. Because of this, I wanted to know what options that any of you may suggest at how I can either boost my chances through either post-baccalaureate courses (and which ones), or from other possible routes I can take to show that I can succeed in the field; thereby removing that gpa stigma. I currently live near Raleigh, NC, meaning that NCSU is quite nearby; however, I doubt that just applying would be viable as the requirements are higher.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
Re: Trying to change careers
« Reply #1 on: Aug 27, 2015, 10:29 »
get inn touch with ncsu and axe them. yew aren't the first with this problem.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

RockSalt

« Reply #2 on: Aug 27, 2015, 11:28 »
Begin to take any Nuclear course,no matter the level. Do your best to make the highest grade you can. If the potential employer mentions your lower than average grades in the past; present the fact that you are redeeming yourself and are serious about doing well in the field. It is totally up to you to be able to show you are new and improved. This will greatly increase your chances of entering the field. Also,keep in mind that your social life and criminal record may be investigated heavily if a security clearance is required. Good luck to you....

Offline drewjn

• Lurker
« Reply #3 on: Aug 27, 2015, 01:48 »
Thank you for the responses,

Oh and @RockSalt
For that latter point, no criminal record, nor issues otherwise. I don't even do drugs or drink much alcohol, or anything else of that nature.

Offline shipoffools

• Light User
« Reply #4 on: Sep 15, 2015, 07:52 »
If you're not accepted into the grad program you want, enroll as a non-degree seeking student.  you can take up to 12 hours (4 courses) in that capacity.  If your performance is good, you can always re-apply. 

I would suggest applying first.  You may find that their "advertised" minimums for undergrad gpa, etc. are more guidelines than strict rules....you may find that the grad school is happy to take your money.     

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?