Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Staffing  

Author Topic: Staffing  (Read 5551 times)

moochiebubble

Staffing
« on: Sep 06, 2015, 09:19 »
Anyone know why they're  having so much trouble getting techs up there ??  Thank you

Offline tolstoy

• Moderate User
Re: Staffing
« Reply #1 on: Sep 08, 2015, 03:17 »
Anyone know why they're  having so much trouble getting techs up there ??  Thank you

If you're asking about the SPRU project with BHI I can comment:

KAPL will perform the security screening which means that you will receive an L-type screening. You need to be squeaky clean to get past these folks. Not every tech is able to do so.

It's bloody cold and you work primarily outside or in open rooms.

It's a decent outage season for contractors who prefer to get in and get out.

It's comparatively expensive to live there. I rented a remodeled 1200 sq ft home in Colonie for $1600 a month as was glad to find it.

FWIW I enjoyed working there. Great folks, plenty of work, and plenty of money. It's like any other job - it can be as interesting or as mindlessly monotonous as you make it. Practically the whole of US history is within a few hour's drive and there are a couple Italian bakeries in Albany that I miss every day. 

Offline dewgills

• Lurker
« Reply #2 on: Sep 09, 2015, 04:20 »
Besides all that good stuff, you get to pay NYS taxes!  Yeah!
Did he mention its cold, and most folks have to work outside and pee in a porta jon.
But other than all that its GREAT!

Offline tolstoy

• Moderate User
« Reply #3 on: Sep 10, 2015, 06:50 »
Besides all that good stuff, you get to pay NYS taxes!  Yeah!
Did he mention its cold, and most folks have to work outside and pee in a porta jon.

True! And those porta-jons are a whole new experience at -12 degrees.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #4 on: Sep 10, 2015, 08:59 »
True! And those porta-jons are a whole new experience at -12 degrees.

not if you worked Rowe, MY or any one of half a dozen DnDs up north in January / February,...

but you know, when it's cold out, they don't smell quite so bad,...

unfortunately those portable sanitizer wash stands do not work so well in winter,...

and when the wind blows, you begin to appreciate all the frozen solid sand bags all over the bases,...

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #5 on: Sep 10, 2015, 09:29 »
Besides all that good stuff, you get to pay NYS taxes!  Yeah!

Upside:

SPAC,...

Saratoga Springs,...

Albany, NY airport is 20 minutes away (from SPRU and Niskayuna),...

Lake Placid is a day trip,...

Lake George,...

Thousand Islands is a weekend getaway,...

NYC is < 2 hours away (well, the way I drive it is),...

Vermont snow skiing is a day trip,...

Boston is downwind,...

Connecticut coast is a weekend getaway,...

Finger Lakes and Bully Hill winery is a weekend getaway,...

Revolutionary War history central,...

Tri-Nuke is right around the corner, MetWeld is up the street, if you're into that stuff,...

Boston is downwind,...

Apples rule,...

Lots of dairy farms,...

perhaps the best example of a real "Four Seasons" year you will experience; Spring, Summer, Fall & Winter are the model that Hollywood has protrayed them as, they are distinct, and they all last right at 3 months each,...

cities, mountains, rivers, lakes, farms, fishing, hunting, skiing, hamlets, villages, suburbs, horse racing, county fairs, urban activities, rural quiet, et al, are all, within 75 miles of each other,...

Boston is downwind,...

and there you go,...

so, for a working vacation (albeit expensive), it's pretty good,...

to live there as a resident,... not so much,... :-\

« Last Edit: Sep 10, 2015, 09:40 by GLW »

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #6 on: Sep 10, 2015, 11:40 »
Upside:

Boston is downwind,...

amen brudder.  go stillers!!!
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?