Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Shift Test Engineer Transitioning to SRO

Author Topic: Shift Test Engineer Transitioning to SRO  (Read 6500 times)

Offline Jasperdrums

• Lurker
Shift Test Engineer Transitioning to SRO
« on: Sep 09, 2015, 12:04 »
I apologize if this is an old topic, didn't see any in my search...

Does anyone have experience with transitioning from qualified STE (NAVSEA 5000 manual) to entering a direct SRO qualification program? I've reviewed ACAD 10-001 and it looks like there is no way to take credit for time spent qualified shift test engineer in the Fig 2-3 flow chart. I'd be curious to see if anyone has any experience on making the move between these two positions and if there is any way to get credit for the STE time towards the remaining 18 months beyond the BS degree.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
Re: Shift Test Engineer Transitioning to SRO
« Reply #1 on: Sep 09, 2015, 05:47 »
We have 2 SROs that came from STE to SRO. They were given credit for the 2 year military RO/EWS reactor requirement.

That being said, the NRC has really ratcheted down on what meets this requirement..., IE before, it was OK to say you've held an EWS qual for 2 years, but now, they want documentation that you actually filled the position for 2 years.

The bottom line is that there is no telling for sure where the NRC currently stands on civilian military equivalencies, without actually applying for the license.

If I were you, I would apply for direct SRO and they'll be able to better tell you if your STE will count, or not.

It used to, but that doesn't mean that it still does.

I know that probably wasn't very helpful, but it is what it is.

Justin
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline Jasperdrums

• Lurker
« Reply #2 on: Sep 10, 2015, 10:50 »
We have 2 SROs that came from STE to SRO. They were given credit for the 2 year military RO/EWS reactor requirement.

That being said, the NRC has really ratcheted down on what meets this requirement..., IE before, it was OK to say you've held an EWS qual for 2 years, but now, they want documentation that you actually filled the position for 2 years.

The bottom line is that there is no telling for sure where the NRC currently stands on civilian military equivalencies, without actually applying for the license.

If I were you, I would apply for direct SRO and they'll be able to better tell you if your STE will count, or not.

It used to, but that doesn't mean that it still does.

I know that probably wasn't very helpful, but it is what it is.

Justin

That actually was pretty helpful. Glad to know it's been done before, even though I know that doesn't really imply current or future success. I've applied to a few places for direct SRO and it seems they are unsure how to handle STE time. Which I totally get since it doesn't fit perfectly into any boxes on the ACAD. I think I'll have to continue reading up on it. Thank you for the input though. It was reassuring if nothing else!

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #3 on: Sep 10, 2015, 11:51 »
That actually was pretty helpful. Glad to know it's been done before, even though I know that doesn't really imply current or future success. I've applied to a few places for direct SRO and it seems they are unsure how to handle STE time. Which I totally get since it doesn't fit perfectly into any boxes on the ACAD. I think I'll have to continue reading up on it. Thank you for the input though. It was reassuring if nothing else!

PM me and I'll put you or them in contact with the guys here who handled the license apps for the STEs. Both were within the last 5 years.

Justin
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #4 on: Sep 10, 2015, 01:50 »
I just remembered that I have a colleague in the NRC examiners office and sent him the question as well. I'll let you know if he has any insights.

Justin

Offline dcswan235

• Lurker
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2016, 11:53 »
If you wouldn't mind, please post their responses here or PM me as well. I'm in the same boat, qualified STE considering direct SRO pipeline.

The way I read ACAD 10-001 and fig. 2-3, STE qualification fits squarely in the "Responsible Power Plant Experience" category. So an engineering degree and 18+ months of NAVSEA 08-qualified STE watchstanding should meet the direct-SRO eligibility requirements.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 12:22 by dcswan235 »

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2016, 07:22 »
Nope, it doesn't.

You should PM the OP to find out his result.

Offline Rerun

• Heavy User
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2016, 07:05 »
Higgs is correct

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?