Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu New to Radiation Safety honeypot

Author Topic: New to Radiation Safety  (Read 3371 times)

Offline Shepcon

• Lurker
New to Radiation Safety
« on: Sep 17, 2015, 08:19 »
Hi everyone,

My name is Andrew, and I'm just starting out in the radiation safety area. I'm in school at Algonquin College in the Radiation Safety Technician (http://www.algonquincollege.com/pembroke/program/radiation-safety) right now. I'm not entirely sure what I want my career path to be right now, but I'm very excited and I'd love to hear from some people that have experience and advice to share!

Offline Bonds 25

• Very Heavy User
  • HP Tech......Well Thats My Title Anyways.
Re: New to Radiation Safety
« Reply #1 on: Sep 17, 2015, 09:23 »
Yes, do tons of research on the benefits of Nuclear Power. Then learn to incorporate that into Radiation Safety. If you are not interested in the Nuclear Power path and choose, say medical, than incorporate the benefits of the exposures given for these life saving tests and procedures into Radiation Safety......or just follow this statement.

It takes a MASSIVE amount of acute Radiation to cause significant damage to one's body. The benefits from Radiation exposure, via Nuclear Power or medical treatments and testing FAR OUTWEIGH the negatives.

I happily receive 400-1000 mrem ever year because I heavily support Nuclear Power and have done enough research (outside of the ALARA concept) to understand this "additional" (we are exposed to radiation every second of our existence....and ARE radioactive) radiation exposure is not an actual health risk.
"But I Dont Wanna Be A Pirate" - Jerry Seinfeld

Offline Shepcon

• Lurker
« Reply #2 on: Sep 17, 2015, 10:08 »
Thanks! I've done a lot of research and I do want to go down the nuclear power path. I guess I could have clarified that much. I've done a lot of research before starting school, and I've long been a supporter of nuclear power. I know the CNSC limits exposure to 5 REM a year, while CNL limits it to 2 REM a year. Even in my spare time I've always been a chemistry and physics nerd, so this is right up my alley.

I'm not actually nervous about the exposure, but quite the contrary. I think being able to say that I safely work in close proximity to alpha/beta/gamma is very exciting! I've done research outside of ALARA as well. I'm not a smoker, but seeing that a heavy (two pack a day) smoker can be exposed to upwards of 1.3 REM a year is a great way to put it into perspective. It's only my second week of the program right now, but I feel like these forums and all of you people will be an amazing resource for me to clarify any concepts I'm having difficulty with and to hopefully make some connections in the industry!

Offline Bonds 25

• Very Heavy User
  • HP Tech......Well Thats My Title Anyways.
« Reply #3 on: Sep 17, 2015, 10:45 »
"alpha/beta/gamma"

Don't forget about Neutron.....the magic maker
"But I Dont Wanna Be A Pirate" - Jerry Seinfeld

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?