Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu advised not to disclose some of my medical history honeypot

Author Topic: advised not to disclose some of my medical history  (Read 7573 times)

Offline GK_Ghost

• Very Lite User
Hello,

I am currently in the DEP with a shipping date in 2016. During the enlistment process, I was advised not to disclose some of my medical history.
       I already know what I did was wrong but I was naive and sincerely felt that the recruiters were not misleading me. I have previously broken both my wrists, one of the wrists twice, have injured my knee for which a private ER doctor had me wear a brace for a couple of weeks and I have dislocated my pinky finger. My recruiter keeps on telling me to not disclose it but I want to free myself from the guilt. I just would like the opportunity to start my naval career on the right foot even through I have already committed a serious mistaken.

My questions are how can I go about disclosing these conditions before basic if my recruiter is unwillingly to update my medical records and assuming I find a way to update my medical records; What is the possibility that I will lose my nuke contract. If I do lose my contract, I am perfectly okay with enlisting under a different rate.

I have researched as much as I could both on here and through google but I have not found anything sufficient.
I also know this is the typical, " My recruiter told me to lie.." post.  
« Last Edit: Oct 03, 2015, 03:31 by Rennhack »

Offline GK_Ghost

• Very Lite User
Re: Need Advice.
« Reply #1 on: Sep 29, 2015, 04:01 »
None of these have given me any trouble since they were injured of which the earliest was approximately 4 years ago.

Offline Tylor

• Moderate User
Re: Need Advice.
« Reply #2 on: Oct 01, 2015, 11:49 »
So are you posting on a Navy forum expecting people to tell you to lie to the Navy? The right thing to do is to tell your recruiter to stop being lazy and write any waivers you need for your medical issues. If the medical issues you have are not issues which require waivers then your recruiter should know that, and should be honest with you.
Once you get to basic, assuming you graduate without any medical issues, if the staff at RTC (Recruit training command) decide you need a waiver to be a nuke, they will hold you at RTC in a temporary holding unit until it gets routed. This is kind of a pain, and you're treated like a boot camp recruit for the weeks or months until you get your waiver. I've never heard of anyone needing a waiver for broken wrists though, the reasons people usually stay on hold is things like Anemia, cancer, heart murmurs, spinal injuries, inhalers, that sort of stuff. Chronic conditions that make you a higher risk to go on a deployment.
If you leave RTC and go to A-school down in Charleston, and they realize you need a waiver to be a nuke, they will just put you on a hold period after you graduate A-school and you'll wait until you're cleared to go to Power school. Same with power school to prototype and prototype to the fleet.
I've never had a recruiting job in the Navy, so I don't know all the acceptance criteria, but if your recruiter is telling you a waiver is not required, it probably isn't.
"There are no extraordinary men... just extraordinary circumstances that ordinary men are forced to deal with." -Admiral William Halsey

Offline GK_Ghost

• Very Lite User
Re: advised not to disclose some of my medical history
« Reply #3 on: Oct 05, 2015, 07:52 »
No. My recruiter refuses to update it saying that they are all non issues.
I want to disclose them all. I should have to begin with before depping in.

Offline GK_Ghost

• Very Lite User
« Reply #4 on: Oct 05, 2015, 07:56 »
He said since none of my broken bones required surgery that i do not have to disclose them. None of it feels right and I want to disclose it.

Offline Tylor

• Moderate User
« Reply #5 on: Oct 06, 2015, 01:19 »
It sounds to me like he's saying it's not disqualifying from the navy.. If he's telling you they're non issues, and he's the person in charge of getting people into the navy, then it's not going to stop you from joining. If you're worried about pre-existing issues causing issues for you later on, then you should talk with your doctor and you can continue getting attention when you're in the navy. The navy isn't obsessed with knowing every single bit of medical info before you join, they want to know that you're qualified to join the navy.
You'll go through medical screening at boot camp and throughout your navy career. If you're worried about your recruiter telling you to lie, maybe it would be better to e-mail your local MEPS with your questions.
"There are no extraordinary men... just extraordinary circumstances that ordinary men are forced to deal with." -Admiral William Halsey

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?