Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu David Johnston aka HydroDave63 honeypot

Author Topic: David Johnston aka HydroDave63  (Read 30014 times)

Offline Teeders

• Very Lite User
David Johnston aka HydroDave63
« on: Oct 05, 2015, 08:58 »
My husband, David passed away this morning (10/5/2015). He was admitted to the hospital September 14th with anemia. It soon turned out to be a lot more than that.  We found out that it was APS.  Basically his body was creating antibodies that would attack his blood cells.  They tried treating it the normal way that they do with everyone else but it almost killed him and did not work.

They tried a 5 day treatment with other peoples antibodies and we were so hopeful.  It failed and they did a last ditch effort with chemo to see if it would stop, that was Friday.  He went downhill so fast since then.  

He always would talk about nukeworker and smiting 'nubs' for being not so bright or stupid as he would put it.  He said that he didn't care if people knew about what killed him or who knew.  They say it was the lung cancer that killed him but it was really APS.  He was doing fine until August 7th.  We are coping and everything is moving so fast. As I would have told him, I played grown up a lot today.

Davids Obituary
« Last Edit: Oct 07, 2015, 09:44 by Teeders »

Offline Gamecock

• Gold Member
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
Re: David Johnston aka HydroDave63
« Reply #1 on: Oct 05, 2015, 09:15 »
My husband, David passed away this morning (10/5/2015). He was admitted to the hospital September 14th with anemia. It soon turned out to be a lot more than that.  We found out that it was APS.  Basically his body was creating antibodies that would attack his blood cells.  They tried treating it the normal way that they do with everyone else but it almost killed him and did not work.

They tried a 5 day treatment with other peoples antibodies and we were so hopeful.  It failed and they did a last ditch effort with chemo to see if it would stop, that was Friday.  He went downhill so fast since then.  

He always would talk about nukeworker and smiting 'nubs' for being not so bright or stupid as he would put it.  He said that he didn't care if people knew about what killed him or who knew.  They say it was the lung cancer that killed him but it was really APS.  He was doing fine until August 7th.  We are coping and everything is moving so fast. As I would have told him, I played grown up a lot today.

I always enjoyed my interactions with your husband, both in the public forum and via private message.  Though I never met him, I feel like I knew him.  I will miss him.

May God provide you with His peace during this time.  

I know based on some exchanges I had with Dave that he is in a better place now.

GC

« Last Edit: Oct 05, 2015, 09:15 by Gamecock »
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 05, 2015, 09:59 »
   My thoughts and prayers to you and yours. I am shocked and very saddened I will miss my duels with him in PolySci, we were not that far apart politically but that did not stop us from debate. He will leave a big hole in the Nukeworker community.

thenuttyneutron

« Reply #3 on: Oct 05, 2015, 10:06 »
You have my condolences.  I enjoyed reading his posts over the years and will miss him.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #4 on: Oct 06, 2015, 12:28 »
 It’s uncanny how someone we have only met over the internet can have such a deep impact on our lives.  I know we are an aging workforce, but part of me still thinks we will all live forever.  Even now, I find it hard to imagine NukeWorker without Dave.  He always kept an eye on the site, and helped protect us from spammers, hackers and other attacks. He would send me messages when the “who is online” log showed odd user behavior.  He was the 3rd most prolific poster on the site, and the most applauded (buy a large margin).  He spent more time online on NukeWorker than anyone else and was always the first to offer to help. NukeWorker was better because Dave was here helping us all out.

NukeWorker will not be the same without Dave.  His passing will leave a large hole in all of our lives.  I am deeply sorry for your loss.  Please pose memorial information when it is available, and thank you very much for sharing this information with us.

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #5 on: Oct 06, 2015, 01:20 »
My prayers and condolences!  He was a great person and I know he is now in a better place.  We didn't always agree, but agreed to disagree, when we had differing opinions. 
Humor is a wonderful way to prevent hardening of the attitudes! unknown
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #6 on: Oct 06, 2015, 05:31 »
Dear Teeds,

Thank you for the strength to come here and and spend some small part of your sadly burdened day to write to people you never met and bear tidings of such deep sorrow.

We will all miss Dave profoundly.

May God bless you and yours with peace and solace.

The world is a little dimmer today without Dave in it.

Heaven is a little brighter.

Thanks Dave, it's been fun.

Catchya later,...

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
  • Cubs vs. White Sox in the Series this year.
« Reply #7 on: Oct 06, 2015, 06:19 »
I was probably his biggest "heartache" on the site, due to our polar opposite political views. He was fair and certainly had no problem stating his opinion. I never saw him. I never heard his voice. I never even knew his name. I just knew that I would always be getting confronted when I logged on to the website, which was fine with me. When you take away all of the opinions and the bias, we are all created equal and aren't that much different.

Teeds, take solace in the fact that he had strong opinions and held true to what he believed in, never wavering. There are never words to make the pain go away, but find the hand of God and hold it for he will lead you into a place of peace. Prayers for you and all of the friends and family who are missing a dear friend today.

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #8 on: Oct 06, 2015, 07:54 »
We never agreed on everything, but good friends don't.  I'm going to miss my friend.... :'(
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #9 on: Oct 06, 2015, 09:28 »
i to, never shook the hand of the man hydrodave63. i did, however, totally enjoy his postings with his concise style and dry wit. it will bee a little more quiet, and perhaps not as illuminated hear without his presence. my prayers for all the family.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline JessJen

• Heavy User
« Reply #10 on: Oct 06, 2015, 10:28 »
I'm going to miss Uncle Dave with his scandanavian square head and witty banter.   

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #11 on: Oct 06, 2015, 11:30 »
   I am still in shock today, like others posting here I never met Dave but with all the interaction on Nukeworker his character and wit was very evident. Not only did he have the highest Karma on the site but he was the most smited saying a lot about him. Never having met him I still have a sense of loss greater than I expected from someone I only knew on the internet. Tedders I cannot imagine the loss you feel people of character fill lives more than anyone else and character and "a character" is how I knew him across this cybersphere.

Offline Imaginos

• Moderate User
« Reply #12 on: Oct 06, 2015, 07:27 »
I didn't know him, but I wish I had. His points of view were always entertaining and often enlightening. I've taken advice he offered.

I am so sorry for your loss, and ours, too.
"I'm not quiet; I just don't demand to be heard." ---George Harrison

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #13 on: Oct 06, 2015, 07:29 »
Although I've never met Dave in real life, he's always been a great friend and confidant here at NW. I am devastated by this news.

My condolences.

RIP Dave!

Justin
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
  • I like being around smart people
« Reply #14 on: Oct 07, 2015, 06:24 »
I always enjoyed our interactions here on Nukeworker and I do think we worked the same outage once or twice but I don't remember where.

Your husband was much loved on this site.
Dave will definitely be missed.

Jim
Blessed is the man who can laugh at himself--he will never cease to be amused
Think twice and say nothing..Chiun
I'm as big a fool as anyone..And bigger than most.. Odd Thomas

Offline #honeycomb

• Lurker
« Reply #15 on: Oct 07, 2015, 09:19 »
My husband, David passed away this morning (10/5/2015). He was admitted to the hospital September 14th with anemia. It soon turned out to be a lot more than that.  We found out that it was APS.  Basically his body was creating antibodies that would attack his blood cells.  They tried treating it the normal way that they do with everyone else but it almost killed him and did not work.

They tried a 5 day treatment with other peoples antibodies and we were so hopeful.  It failed and they did a last ditch effort with chemo to see if it would stop, that was Friday.  He went downhill so fast since then. 

He always would talk about nukeworker and smiting 'nubs' for being not so bright or stupid as he would put it.  He said that he didn't care if people knew about what killed him or who knew.  They say it was the lung cancer that killed him but it was really APS.  He was doing fine until August 7th.  We are coping and everything is moving so fast. As I would have told him, I played grown up a lot today.

It's been awhile since I've posted.

I don't check these boards and will likely never return or post again.  But most of you long time board members remember me I'm sure.

I got the news via text this morning (coming in from nightshift) from Dave's wife.  I felt compelled to offer my response publicly where I had met Dave.

Teeders (withholding your real name since you did the same) .. I appreciate you letting us know and am very sorry for your loss.

Dave and I talked and texted very regularly.  And like everyone else will miss him very much.

You will always be in my prayers.

You have my number if you need anything.

My very best to you and yours.

nukewood

« Reply #16 on: Oct 07, 2015, 09:45 »
Wow. I wasn't ready for this news. Dave and I were kindred spirits, agreeing on most everything. Dave always encouraged my ministry to Israel and the Jewish people.Few people on Nukeworker have been there for me with "a word in season".  Dave, we are rejoicing with the angels Brother.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #17 on: Oct 07, 2015, 10:25 »
I have not been on the site for a while and took the opportunity to log in to get caught up on things this morning. Little did I know the impact it would have.

I never met Dave in person but I feel like I did. He and I did not always agree (in fact in the early years he thought I was on the opposite side of all fences) but we did agree on a lot of things. I will miss his wit and wisdom and, maybe even more, his frankness and deep commitment to his beliefs -- even those with which I disagreed.

Teeders, you were blessed to have him while you did. I hope you find peace and comfort in his memory.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline Teeders

• Very Lite User
« Reply #18 on: Oct 07, 2015, 03:01 »
Thank you everyone. I'm still trying to go through and find his friends. He left a very long list of all the numbers he knew but some I believe are from work or work related.  He only left the list because he had issues with his phone updated and then he couldn't use it.

I'm sure he would be surprised that so many people knew and liked him.  His obituary is online now but in accordance with rule #3 you can message me if you would like to see it as it gives the address of the funeral home and names etc.  I still have a lot of stuff to do.

I do now know that if you are a veteran and you want to be buried in a national cemetery you will need your DD214 form. I know Dave had one and I saw it once but that was at our old house and he was never good at keeping things organized.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #19 on: Oct 07, 2015, 06:39 »
His obituary is online now but in accordance with rule #3 you can message me if you would like to see it as it gives the address of the funeral home and names etc.

If you want to share it, we would love for you to do so.  Rule #3 is there to protect YOU from other people posting YOUR information.
« Last Edit: Oct 07, 2015, 07:01 by Rennhack »

Offline Teeders

• Very Lite User
« Reply #20 on: Oct 07, 2015, 09:45 »
Alright I wasn't sure and I'd rather be safe than sorry. I've added his obituary to the original.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #21 on: Oct 07, 2015, 09:56 »
He always would talk about nukeworker and smiting 'nubs' for being not so bright or stupid as he would put it.

50 quatloos against the newcomer, David was the first to use that phrase on Nukeworker and frequently used it after smiting a 'nub".

50 Quatloos on David.
« Last Edit: Oct 07, 2015, 10:11 by Marlin »

Chimera

« Reply #22 on: Oct 08, 2015, 06:48 »
I did not know Dave other than by his posts here on NukeWorker.  He always had such a clear and succinct way of presenting his ideas and I am a better man for participating in his thoughts.  The world has become a smaller place without Dave in it.

I don't know you either, "Teeders", but God bless you and yours.

Michael

drayer54

« Reply #23 on: Oct 09, 2015, 12:41 »
Alright I wasn't sure and I'd rather be safe than sorry. I've added his obituary to the original.
Dave and I messaged on and off for years now. I last talked to him August 18th and was wondering how his treatment was going when I saw the bad news. His sense of humor and advice were priceless. We were supposed to have biscuits and gravy a year or so back, but he had to change his schedule. I spoke with him many times and will miss his insight.

My prayers to you and your family.

Thanks for giving him the time to be enjoyed by all of us.

-Derek
« Last Edit: Oct 09, 2015, 01:22 by Drayer »

Offline a|F

• Moderate User
« Reply #24 on: Oct 12, 2015, 11:14 »
A sad day, indeed. 

I don't feel that any description of his contributions to this site and others would do him justice.

He was an amazingly intelligent man and willing to help anyone. 

I only wish I had the chance to meet him in person.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?