Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Future hopeful nuke looking for Navy experiences from current and former nukes  

Author Topic: Future hopeful nuke looking for Navy experiences from current and former nukes  (Read 4925 times)

Offline FisherIsTheEnd

• Lurker
I am a Future Sailor, ship date is 20160106, with a Nuke contract. A little back ground before I continue. I am 24 currently and will be 25 when I leave for basic. I have a BS in Psychology (massive amounts of debt because of it) and am married. I have done a good amount of reading from the various forums and topics on this site and others. The purpose of my post is to read and hear more experiences that everyone has had. I have read and understand that the work will be long and hard, but also well worth it if I put forth the effort. I am interested in learning as much about this field as possible in order to get the best possible idea of how life will be. I fully understand that YMMV, but I still look towards all experiences (both good and bad) to help mentally prepare myself for what my family and I have signed up to experience over the next 6 or 6+ years. Thank you in advance for all of the replies and advice.

Fisher
« Last Edit: Oct 20, 2015, 08:52 by FisherIsTheEnd »

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
Well, from the application of keywords and tricky phrases you probably read as much or close to as much as you need to,...

The only thing going forward would be do not re-enlist unless you like it OR because you really need that money and you know you don't like it but you're decided to suck it up for the money,...

the Navy is the Navy is the Navy is the Navy,...

some folks get the good deal, some get the kool-aid sandwich, and some get a bit of each,...

good luck,...

keep us posted, we like success stories,... [coffee]

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Touche

• Light User
Some things to prepare for:
1) sacrifice, lots of sacrifice
2) demanding educational process (Some had to log 85+ hours/week in the classroom!)
3) solitude/loneliness while surrounded by many
4) gender/race prejudice
5) separation from family and friends
6) sexual temptation/infidelity
7) financial hardships
8) mass/displaced discipline
9) alcohol abuse
10) random drug analysis
11) vulgar language and
12) unannounced deployments.

bigdog46

On a more upbeat note, because of your age, and depending how you carry and present yourself on arrival at boot-camp, you will be looked at for a leadership role in boot-camp, your company commanders will approach you based on their initial observations.  Most of your peers will be significantly younger. My perspective is 30+ years old but suspect it still is applicable.  Again based on your age I suspect you have been exposed to many of the things listed in the previous post with the exception of the educational process, and unannounced deployments.  The pace of the educational process will be the most challenging aspect for you to get your arms around.  Good luck, and thanks in advance for serving in the finest branch of the US Military.

Offline Touche

• Light User
I chose my list of items because you, and especially your wife, need to understand the real Navy life as a Nuke; preparation for "the good times" is not nearly as critical as for the list I have provided.

Although you may have been exposed to some items in varying degrees, these are the norm and the effect of each on the other seems multiplicative in the Navy; not additive as in civilian life.

My hope is that you have a clear understanding of the Navy Nuke life and to be mentally prepared for each element of that lifestyle. Resist the temptation to put on your rose-colored glasses which effectively filter out the items I have listed and may result in you and your wife being completely unprepared.
« Last Edit: Oct 21, 2015, 01:05 by Touche »

Offline FisherIsTheEnd

• Lurker
First to Rerun. I appreciate the support, and believe it or not I have used the search and I have spent many hours reading up on information here and reddit and yahoo answers and anywhere else I could find information. I added this topic to get a more personal feel to the question and to maybe see if there even more people who would be willing to put in their 2 cents to get as much knowledge about the subject area as possible.

Touche thank you. Those are all things I have considered and still think about. My wife and I try to talk about all of the possibilities. I feel that I will be able to do a decent job with the stress load... or at least my recruiters tell so (granted I know recruiters are there to get you in so they may sugar coat things). But since I graduated college I have had to work 80 work weeks in order to make ends meet. I work 16 hour days 4 days a week and only get a true day off every 10 or so days. I fell like beyond the work load, the biggest adjustment will be for my wife. This also why I am looking for as much info as possible so I can prepare and educate her as well.

bigdog46 thank you. I am sure that even though it is an older perspective it is still somewhat applicable. I have always wondered if because of my educational status and my age if I would be targeted, not necessarily negatively or positively but just targeted. I have always been told that it is an even playing field through boot and school but I still feel like there will be something put upon me, whether good or bad.

Offline Touche

• Light User
Your response prompted another issue:  who is the head of the household?

By circumstance and efficacy, your wife will become the primary decision-maker while you are gone (not 4-16 hr days...7-24's for up to 9 months); like it or not.

Contentions may arise upon your return. Does she remain the "man" of the house or do you resume your role? Are you prepared to submit to her? Her, you? Will she want to even give the authority back? How will she transfer authority back to you? If you have kids, you will likely be lenient on them due to your absence, however, you will be undermining the discipline system she has instituted...are you prepared to submit to her (presumably effective/beneficial) system?

You don't have to answer; however, I hope this helps you guys prepare for this part of Navy Nuke life.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?