Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Questions about D.C. Interviews honeypot

Author Topic: Questions about D.C. Interviews  (Read 3133 times)

nsuboff

Questions about D.C. Interviews
« on: Oct 21, 2015, 08:27 »
I applied to the NUPOC program in July. I got all of my paperwork done in about a week because I was so excited about the program, went to MEPS soon after, and then immediately started studying. I'm a math major from Lamar University with a 4.0 GPA applying for the submariner position. I did the NVIP trip in September and had a phone interview about three weeks after that and now I'm preparing to go to D.C. this weekend. Very excited! In all honesty, I'm a little misguided on where my priorities should be for studying. I did pretty well on the phone interview scoring a 9.6 overall, but I feel like that was because the questions were super easy and I'm really trying to not come off as arrogant. The calculus questions were very basic and barely scratched the surface. I only say this because I read so many posts about being asked really in-depth questions at their D.C. interviews. Thus, my questions:

1. Should I expect a higher caliber of questions than the phone interview questions at D.C.? I talked to the LT giving the phone interview afterwards about what difficulty of questions I should expect at D.C. and his response was that the questions will be roughly the same: circuit questions, sliding block questions, volume derivations with calculus, etc. Is this true?

2. Regarding physics, what topics should I be most familiar with? Are there topics that are more commonly asked than others? Even though I feel like I need to be familiar with everything, I don't want to "waste my time" with waves (for example) if there's virtually a zero likelihood of that coming up. 

3. I read conflicting viewpoints on the subject matter of the questions being asked. The recruiting LTs swear up and down that for math majors and sub applicants the interviewers will only ask basic calculus and physics questions and content from your transcript. However, some users claim that anything regarding engineering is fair game.

Overall, I think I'm overthinking everything and should stick with my current philosophy of "if you are familiar with every topic, there will be no issues". However, some reassurance would be appreciated and maybe some stories from past NUPOC applicants.

Thanks in advance!

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
Re: Questions about D.C. Interviews
« Reply #1 on: Oct 22, 2015, 06:05 »
When I used to do these interviews, I always asked the same questions regardless of your major.  The interviewers are a mixed bag... Some are much harder then others.  Some guys pass everyone, while some guys expect you to know alot. 
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline HiThere

• Very Lite User
Re: Questions about D.C. Interviews
« Reply #2 on: Oct 22, 2015, 06:40 »
I was told by my recruiter that I could expect to see optics and reflection problems from Physics 2 (electricity, magnetism, and optics) for the D.C interview. And chemistry problems.

I'm not exactly sure what will be asked at D.C either.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?