Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu America's newest nuke plant shows why nuclear power is dying in the U.S. honeypot

Author Topic: America's newest nuke plant shows why nuclear power is dying in the U.S.  (Read 9303 times)

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Shortly after New Year's Day, the Tennessee Valley Authority is expected to bring its newest nuclear power plant online.

The TVA says Watts Bar Unit 2 in Spring City, Tenn., about 50 miles north of Chattanooga, will be fully modern and superlatively safe -- "the nation’s first new nuclear generation of the 21st century," the utility says.

http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-mh-america-s-newest-nuke-plant-20151011-column.html

Offline tolstoy

• Moderate User
It's genius how a picture of the melted Fukushima plant is included as a 'related' article. Just in case you were wondering what will happen at WB.

Offline Bonds 25

• Very Heavy User
  • HP Tech......Well Thats My Title Anyways.
What a piece of sh*t article.

"But I Dont Wanna Be A Pirate" - Jerry Seinfeld

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...

you must have read all of it,...

I clicked away as soon as the word "stupid" came to mind,....

no sense aggravating oneself into the next level of vocabulary,...

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Rerun

• Heavy User
WBN 2 won't make a dime for TVA. They knew that when they started building her again. 2 Billion over budget and early 2016 is NOT late 2013 when they said she would be done.

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User

you must have read all of it,...

I clicked away as soon as the word "stupid" came to mind,....

no sense aggravating oneself into the next level of vocabulary,...

Well the link was from the LA Times... what did you guys expect?

Whether you agree with the piece or not I believe it is good to read what is being sold as truth. I live near a very liberal city that the majority of the population is against nuclear for the simple fact that they have been told they should be. I enjoy pointing out how little they know about the facts as they play on their ipads powered by the 4 ancient coal-fired units that are less then 20 miles from their cookie cutter houses.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
...Whether you agree with the piece or not I believe it is good to read what is being sold as truth.....

Sure, but we already know what is being sold, since March 28, 1979, it only grows in volume,...

....I enjoy pointing out how little they know about the facts.....

my life moments are too precious to spend on morons educated beyond their intelligence,...

you keep going at it, a man's gotta do what he must,... :P ;) :) 8)

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
Sure, but we already know what is being sold, since March 28, 1979, it only grows in volume,...

True, at that time I was but a year old and growing up next to a new unit under construction. As some grow old and weary from the battle others must pick up the flag and carry on.

my life moments are too precious to spend on morons educated beyond their intelligence,...

you keep going at it, a man's gotta do what he must,... :P ;) :) 8)

Perhaps I am not as jaded, yet. I don't stand on the corner and preach. However, if someone questions me about my job at a backyard bbq I don't hesitate to provide them with facts that they often times are completely unaware of. I'm not keeping score, but my rough guess is that half of them walk away with a slightly different view on nuclear power after our conversation. The majority aren't "educated beyond their intelligence" but simply uninformed. You can't scold a child that doesn't know any better.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
....Perhaps I am not as jaded, yet. I don't stand on the corner and preach. However, if someone questions me about my job at a backyard bbq I don't hesitate to provide them with facts that they often times are completely unaware of. I'm not keeping score, but my rough guess is that half of them walk away with a slightly different view on nuclear power after our conversation. The majority aren't "educated beyond their intelligence" but simply uninformed. You can't scold a child that doesn't know any better.

hope springs eternal,...

+K  8)

Offline Mounder

• Very Heavy User
"...which includes the premature mothballing of the San Onofre nuclear plant by Southern California Edison in 2013...."  At least the article pointed out one epic error due to our misguided anti-nuclear climate.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
"...which includes the premature mothballing of the San Onofre nuclear plant by Southern California Edison in 2013...."  At least the article pointed out one epic error due to our misguided anti-nuclear climate.

ya think?!?!?!

I suspect SONGS pretty much inepted themselves out of contention,...

the S/G fiasco was epic,...

now, on the other hand,...

Diablo Canyon is an epically well run facility,...

the "plagued by questions" innuendo is another of those journadramalist shadowboxing tragedies in waiting, with as much chance of happening as an airliner pancaking your car as it rolls along the highway,...

although THAT has happened once,.... [coffee]
« Last Edit: Oct 15, 2015, 11:27 by GLW »

Offline Mounder

• Very Heavy User
San Onofre had it's problems, but when you have brownouts and need to buy very expensive power from outside locations and your anti-nukes are worried about gigantic tidal waves hitting your backup generators on top of a 200 yard high bluff; you might want to rethink mothballing  :)

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
San Onofre had it's problems, but when you have brownouts and need to buy very expensive power from outside locations and your anti-nukes are worried about gigantic tidal waves hitting your backup generators on top of a 200 yard high bluff; you might want to rethink mothballing  :)

I dunno,...

Recently I was eating at this popular place known as Wahoo's Fish Taco (Irvine Spectrum),...

They have a burrito I really like, the Outer Reef Burrito,...

I was reading the BBC news on my droid and there were two SoCal women, mid-thirtyish, at the table next to me, and the vapid, unself-conscious conversation which assaulted my eardrums for the next twenty minutes left me in the Weltschmerz where I surmise these creatures deserve everything they get,...

2000 dollar/month electric bill?!?!?!

couldn't happen to more deserving people on earth,... [coffee]

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
I dunno,...

Recently I was eating at this popular place known as Wahoo's Fish Taco (Irvine Spectrum),...

They have a burrito I really like, the Outer Reef Burrito,...

I was reading the BBC news on my droid and there were two SoCal women, mid-thirtyish, at the table next to me, and the vapid, unself-conscious conversation which assaulted my eardrums for the next twenty minutes left me in the Weltschmerz where I surmise these creatures deserve everything they get,...

2000 dollar/month electric bill?!?!?!

couldn't happen to more deserving people on earth,... [coffee]

I second that emotion. -Smokey Robinson

Offline Rerun

• Heavy User
Hey who was the guy who said "Business as usual at SONGs" and "Don't Sweat it, the issue has been overblown" after they had the "Tube leak"

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
Hey who was the guy who said "Business as usual at SONGs" and "Don't Sweat it, the issue has been overblown" after they had the "Tube leak"

https://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=24444

FYI, he hasn't been active since March 20, 2012.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
https://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=24444

FYI, he hasn't been active since March 20, 2012.

yup those were the days,...

so, just for all the numbers oriented folks, there was a little bit of irony,...

Not sure what is behind this criticism.  Plant is considered very conservative, high cost, risk-adverse.  Opposite of "get by."

Can offer one fact (rather than uninformed opinion:)  this week there was a big sitewide celebration.  NRC closed the last cross cutter. NRC Column 1.

CNO Pete always says "proud but not satisfied."   Good thing he and the NRC aren't subject to negativity here.

high cost, risk adverse, make no money,...

socalcommi dreamboat,...

pay no paychecks,....

huh?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
and now that we have moved into full blown BZ'sGenOb1 (remember that guy?):

BZ's general observation on Internet forums/threads etal, By the 5th post in any thread it starts drifting off topic. By 12 to 15 it has nothing to do with the original topic and if it surives to 30 or so it magically gets back on topic. This applies almost everywhere.

Mike

we had another gem from the 'swanger,...

Very strange.  Legal research by web forum?

What next,  ask for tax advise here?  Geeze.

only to be answered here:

https://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,22880.0.html

and here:

https://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,22789.msg118236.html#msg118236

and just about anywhere else you do a search for "traveltax" at this website,...

now the astute will notice that the "traveltax" search would have returned helpful (and ofttimes prescient) advise to users at nukeworker.com for a full year and more prior to 'swanger's deleterious aside,...

then again, blah blah bitch posters to internet forums are under no cross cutting or due diligence obligations to validate the veracity of their opines prior to typing like an ambergris vomiting sperm whale all over the internet,...

I, of course, being "special", don't use the tax advise here very much, though I highly endorse some of the sources of that information and abysmally shake my head at others,...

My returns are complicated,...

But to bring it back full half circle, since some users at nukeworker.com may very well be traveling out to SONGS to remove SONGS from the map as it were,...

Well then, Traveltax may become your friend as you navigate the land of fruits and nuts and "Where did you say you interpreted my tax home as being you sob?",...

(I would recommend users keep the "you sob" as an unspoken thought and not a spoken word, but, to each his own),... 8)

almost forgot (sic) for beercourt,...
« Last Edit: Oct 19, 2015, 06:31 by GLW »

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
stopping at half circle, the objective minded folk would have to keep in mind that 'swangin could occupy several different camps of thought back in the day when 'swangin was a regular poster,...

I always liked the contention when it was contentious, and the camaraderie when it was simpatico,...

but that's just me, and it's just an internet forum,... :P ;) :) 8) O:)

almost forgot (sic) for beercourt,...
« Last Edit: Oct 19, 2015, 06:31 by GLW »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?