Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Eberline ESP

Author Topic: Eberline ESP  (Read 9829 times)

KevinH

Eberline ESP
« on: Nov 09, 2015, 08:00 »
Does anyone here have any experience with an Eberline ESP ratemeter? I am looking for a new second hand meter to use as a hobbyist to replace my modified CDV-700. Variable high voltage supply is a must at the least, and some of the bells and whistles it offers, like alarms look potentially useful. The drawbacks I see are over complication and inability to service it. My other option is an Eberline PRM-6.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
Re: Eberline ESP
« Reply #1 on: Nov 09, 2015, 10:07 »
watt probes due ya have witch yew want two use with an udder meater?
« Last Edit: Nov 09, 2015, 10:08 by SloGlo »
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

KevinH

« Reply #2 on: Nov 10, 2015, 12:34 »
I have a Technical Associates end window alpha probe, a Russian SI-8B pancake (currently in an enclosure with some zener diodes to lower the CDV's 900 volts to around 400), A Russian CHM-11 B-10 neutron tube (which needs something like 1600 volts), and on the way in is an AS scintillation probe... So you can see why I'd need variable HV.

My main concern is weather the ESP is as reliable as a more simple, fully analog rate meter. I figured guys in the industry might have some first hand experience.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #3 on: Nov 10, 2015, 11:23 »
yew didn't say weather you ware looking at a e.s.p. 1 oar 2.

hear's a manual fore the 1. knot shore the difference with the 2.

http://qsl.net/k0ff/01%20Manuals/Eberline/ESP-1/ESP-1%20Eberline%20Smart%20Portable%20Technical%20Manual1.pdf

that sayed, e.s.p. models aren't my favs. their heavy and cumbersome. iffen yins use the smart cabling, they get two delicate fore my field usage. my usage level is probly a bit moor robust than yores, as I will typically take 50-250 static measurements with scan activity mixed inn per day. esp meters take a little getting used too in regards two switching modes.
« Last Edit: Nov 10, 2015, 11:25 by SloGlo »

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #4 on: Nov 10, 2015, 12:18 »
yew didn't say weather you ware looking at a e.s.p. 1 oar 2.

hear's a manual fore the 1. knot shore the difference with the 2.

http://qsl.net/k0ff/01%20Manuals/Eberline/ESP-1/ESP-1%20Eberline%20Smart%20Portable%20Technical%20Manual1.pdf

that sayed, e.s.p. models aren't my favs. their heavy and cumbersome. iffen yins use the smart cabling, they get two delicate fore my field usage. my usage level is probly a bit moor robust than yores, as I will typically take 50-250 static measurements with scan activity mixed inn per day. esp meters take a little getting used too in regards two switching modes.

the IC, EPROM & CMOS components have shelf life and bleed off issues,...

the transformers and voltage dividers are sketchy after three to five years,...

these are 25 year old plus units,...

old digital is broke mick digital,...

if you want digital do yourself a favor and buy a primary unit less than five years old,...

and that will only have a couple of reliable years left,...

even the E600 line (which was once upon a time my favorite) is too old too muck with,...

you're actually better off with old analogs than old digitals,...

keep in mind that analogs are just that, they're analog,...

digitals use TWA circuitry, et al, to appear analog to the user since we process information that way under specific circumstances,...

so that small digital input problems become large end user output problems and the end user is clueless,...

now,....

new, off the shelf, software interfacing, telemetrically plugged in digital wizard stuff?!?!?!?

it's scintillating,...makes you say stupid small words like "WOW!",...

it also costs a bunch,...

stay analog my friend, it's more predictable and garage shelf friendly for less money,...

unless you own an EPROM burner and have access to a Texas Semiconductor catalogue,...

and a high four low five figure hobby bank account,... 8)

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

KevinH

« Reply #5 on: Nov 10, 2015, 01:17 »
Was looking at an esp 1. I think the difference between the two is just a data port.

I think that settles it for me. I'll skip the esp and stick with an analog meter. Thanks for the advice.

KevinH

Re: Ludlum Model 12?
« Reply #6 on: Nov 16, 2015, 12:11 »
Ok, you guys were very helpful on this topic so I thought I'd continue my line of inquiry on my search for a new rate-meter.

Anyway, Now I'm looking at a Ludlum model 12 being sold for parts on ebay, Or that same Eberline PRM-6 that's working.

Are the Ludlums easy to repair? I am hoping the parts one I mention may be working but the seller is selling them in quantity so he doesn't want to bother to test. If I do have to fix it however, I wonder if anyone has feedback on how serviceable they are if anyone here has such experience.

Lastly I heard that the model 12s are more tailored for scintillation probes. Is this true? And are they a Significant step up over an older Eberline PRM-6? They do seem to be very popular in the amateur world so I figured one might be worth taking a chance for.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #7 on: Nov 16, 2015, 07:32 »
aye like the model 12. a good rugged µr meter. scintillation detectors rock four this app. eye don't fix meaters, i get accused of abusing them. m 12 take alot of my use.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
Re: Ludlum Model 12?
« Reply #8 on: Nov 16, 2015, 08:04 »
Are the Ludlums easy to repair?     

Yes,....

Ludlum has the advantage of continuity, ludlum is still there in Sweetwater and the folks you have corresponded with for the last 20+ years are still answering the phone and replying to the e-mails and getting up from the desk and walking out to the production line or shipping as you wait on hold and they get the answer with the product you purchased right there where DS can put his eyes on it,....

Thermo Fisher nee Eberline,......................... not so much,......

So, I have shifted from being an Eberline cheerleader to a Ludlum booster as the years march on,.....

There is another option, I'll get back to you in PM later,....

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

KevinH

« Reply #9 on: Nov 16, 2015, 10:52 »
Another option? You have my curiosity piqued, GLW.

That is a good point on Ludlum still existing. I'm such a cheap skate, but I rarely regret spending a few extra $$ for the smarter option... I try to do a lot of my own repairs, as it teaches me a thing or two about electronics. Repopulating the board on my CDV-700 was a very rewarding experience when it all worked afterward.

I didn't realize the model 12 went to 2300 volts. That's a plus over the prm-6's 1500..

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #10 on: Nov 17, 2015, 10:07 »
imho, prm-6 sux.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?